GDT: NJ Devils vs. NY Rangers - 12:30pm on NBC - Stadium Series Editio

Colin226

What pisses me off maybe more than anything else this season is that they seem to sh!t the bed pretty much every time they get close to a nice playoff position. Win tonight and suddenly you're 2nd in the division. Nope, they forfeit the game after the 1st. Not the first time it happened this season (though I can't remember them looking as bad as in those last two periods in a loong time). At the end of the day, I'm afraid that's they were belong - right below that playoff spot.

From what I've seen time and time again, at least as of late, the Devils are ignored by the NHL and hockey media. The lead up to this game was about 94 and tons of former Rags were interviewed. As was pointed out a few pages back, this just became a Rags broadcast.

Yeah, that was awful. I mean, was it that hard to get an ex-Devil in there for an interview? Even friggin Dano? Also, Roenick was unlistenable, I used to not care about him in the past, I dislike him after today. The whole thing was retarded, since he never even played for the Rags.

What pisses me off maybe more than anything else this season is that they seem to sh!t the bed pretty much every time they get close to a nice playoff position. Win tonight and suddenly you're 2nd in the division. Nope, they forfeit the game after the 1st. Not the first time it happened this season (though I can't remember them looking as bad as in those last two periods in a loong time). At the end of the day, I'm afraid that's they were belong - right below that playoff spot.

Yeah, that was awful. I mean, was it that hard to get an ex-Devil in there for an interview? Even friggin Dano? Also, Roenick was unlistenable, I used to not care about him in the past, I dislike him after today. The whole thing was retarded, since he never even played for the Rags.

What did Roenick say?

From what I've seen time and time again, at least as of late, the Devils are ignored by the NHL and hockey media. The lead up to this game was about 94 and tons of former Rags were interviewed. As was pointed out a few pages back, this just became a Rags broadcast.

Look at it this way: If we were say second in the division right now and the Rags were dead last, the spotlight would still be on them and 94 not on us and Marty, 3 cups, lou or game 6 in 2012.

When the Devils decide they want to become a "brand" in this market (and they have the ability...and always have had it in my opinion) then and only then will the media pay attention to them in a flattering light. Winning in and of itself is never enough, not in this market. The Devils missed a golden opportunity to become a brand backed by winning and had both hands on the Rangers throats from 1997-2003 and didn't take advantage of it. That chance won't come again any time soon.

Roenick was probably doing exactly what NBC wanted. 

Sucks to see such a potentially fun game play out like that, but in the end, it's a regular season game.  We need to ride Cory from here on out and hope the offense can stay healthy. The defense has been fine recently for the most part, so I guess we can't hold this one too badly against them. Looks like a lot of Devils got caught in the moment. And for all the hate Sal gets here, Fayne and Gelinas were a mess today. 

Arguably, it's impressive that they're this close. They've had a ton of injuries, have a ton of new faces, including rookies, to break in, and weren't that great to begin with. I hope they have 1 huge run in them, which propels them in, but being close is pretty good all things considered.

Sucks to see such a potentially fun game play out like that, but in the end, it's a regular season game.  We need to ride Cory from here on out and hope the offense can stay healthy. The defense has been fine recently for the most part, so I guess we can't hold this one too badly against them. Looks like a lot of Devils got caught in the moment. And for all the hate Sal gets here, Fayne and Gelinas were a mess today. 

I still want Gelly playing. He needs to take his lumps. Sal's gonna be gone in a couple years. I'd rather Gelly be good then. Also, Gelly brings more to the table with his offensive game. If Sal isn't playing boring, flawless d, he does nothing. I don't know that Sal's worse than Gelly, or even Fayne (though I think he is), I just prefer to see the kids playing. Also, fair or not, Fayne is probably the best candidate to be traded, so he needs to be showcased. Games like this don't exactly help...

That's what .500 teams do and the Devils are terribly average. They aren't good enough to get distance and they aren't bad enough to fall way back. They'll have nights where they'll embarrass teams like st Louis, then get embarrassed like they did today.  

I still want Gelly playing. He needs to take his lumps. Sal's gonna be gone in a couple years. I'd rather Gelly be good then. Also, Gelly brings more to the table with his offensive game. If Sal isn't playing boring, flawless d, he does nothing. I don't know that Sal's worse than Gelly, or even Fayne (though I think he is), I just prefer to see the kids playing. Also, fair or not, Fayne is probably the best candidate to be traded, so he needs to be showcased. Games like this don't exactly help...

I agree with all of that, pretty much. I was just pointing out that for all the hate Sal gets, he wasn't the only one looking bad out there on D. 

What did Roenick say?

Every time he would interview someone, it was on the Rangers side - and that itself wouldn't be that bad (he's got a job to do), but each time he really kissed them on the ass and especially looked like the biggest Rangers homer when he briefly interviewed some random Rags fans in the 3rd / late 2nd. Hated the vibe I got from that and from most of the broadcast, too.

It was a bad game. Marty was terrible, and the D was bad. The d has played well recently, but played stupid trying to do too much. If they get back to basics and bench Sal or Volch for one of the kids, that gets easier. Also, Marty has to save some of those breakaways. Almost every hockey games have runs for each team. A good goalie keeps his team in the game during bad runs. Marty did the opposite today. I love him, and wanted him to step it up today (and thought he would), but it didn't happen. They need to ride Cory as hard as they can for the rest of the season. They're still in this thing. Long term, I think they're okay. They have a legit goalie, a core of young d, and a couple bad contracts going away. They need forwards, and this draft would have helped, but forwards are easier to get than d. 

Yup well put. I wouldn't bench Volchenkov for a kid for this point, especially the way Gelinas played today, but agree with rest of what you said.

Look at it this way: If we were say second in the division right now and the Rags were dead last, the spotlight would still be on them and 94 not on us and Marty, 3 cups, lou or game 6 in 2012.

Yeah the 94 stuff is frustrating. I understand they are focusing on the Devils/Rangers rivalry and that is an important part of the history, but what happened 20 years ago doesn't really explain why this is an important rivalry TODAY. There have been what 4 playoff series between the two teams since then? The Sean Avery, Martin Brodeur rivalry has a lot more to do with why the two teams hate each other now than Stephane Matteau at least in my opinion.

I was happy to see in the pregame highlights that they showed clips from most of the Devils-Rangers playoff series, not just the '94 fiasco. They even showed a clip of Marty holding up the Cup. ... I don't recall if they showed anything pre-'94.

We lead the season series 3-1.  Even if the RanJuhs win the last remaining game, we still will have won the series.  This is used as a tie breaker and if it goes to the wire, we win this tie breaker.  There still is a positive in every negative if you take the time to look.  Remember, we beat them the 1st 3 times this season.  Most live in a "what have you done for me lately" state of mind on this forum.  I, for one, will not mind if we never play outdoors.  I have learned not to react as if the sky is falling.  It is what it is.

Brodeur can't be defended in any way tonight. There are goalies who stop ALL 6 of what he gave up tonight. There were no incredible tips or 150mph howitzers to the top corner. It was lame trickly garbage.

Even on the 3-1 that goals was SOFT. The second Zuccarello goal was a joke as well. Stralman...forget it.

Brodeur broke the Devils backs today. This was not a shooting gallery. These were floaters and tricklers.

Edited by '7'

I'll comment more on this later.. But I'm sitting in Penn Station right now, thinking this whole thing over.

In general, what an awesome experience. My dad and I had an absolute blast, the atmosphere was amazing (and cold, especially in the 2nd period) but it was great.

Brodeur was awful this game. The D was bad, but he literally didn't make a single big save. Every single dangerous shot got by him.. That second goal was a back breaker. Devils had the momentum, the game was theirs.. And in the blink of an eye, the Rangers had all the momentum.

Positives? JJ looked good, hope he gets a chance. This should solidify Cory as the starter for the rest of the season, no questions asked.

Shame they couldn't get this win in, would've been great to send these a$$holes home without something to cheer about.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Stepan holding Zajac's stick on his breakaway... No wonder he couldn't get the shot off.

Haven't seen a penalty shot (personally) in months and two in the last two outdoor games... hmmmm...

I just had this convo with a buddy of mine

Very rare to see, and with the one in last night's Ducks/Kings game, and the one today...

2 in less than 24 hours

Very interesting to say the least

I just had this convo with a buddy of mine

Very rare to see, and with the one in last night's Ducks/Kings game, and the one today...

2 in less than 24 hours

Very interesting to say the least

Remember the days when you saw a penalty shot maybe three times a season? And even then you had to really earn it.

Anyway this is what happens when you don't play well and Brodeur is in net - the Rangers are fast and NJ made a lot of bad plays that helped that speed out.  We can only hope this is what gets the coaching staff to see what a lot of others are seeing - Brodeur is through and should play, at most, in back to back games the rest of the season.