Hypothetical: Let's say McDavid pulls an Elway

roomtemp

He should if its Edmonton. Hell if I was Eichel I'd do the same thing for that garbage fire of a team. Also personally Edmonton is probably in the bottom 2 of cities I'd like to play in just for the location alone.

Any kid who has proven NOTHING in the league needs to shut the fvck up and know his role. I don't care how good he's supposed to be. You go to the team that drafts you and shut your mouth.
  • Like 1

I've been wondering almost the opposite here.

Let's say the Devils somehow win the draft lottery again. Buffalo finishes last and gets the #2 pick, Edmonton second-worst and is sitting at #3.

Do you call up Edmonton and say "You guys just went from having either McDavid or Eichel to neither. Blow me away." and see if you can pull multiple pieces to fill some pretty glaring holes in this team (and future draft picks) and give up McDavid in the process? Or do you thank your lucky stars that you somehow won your second lottery in four years and take McDavid and go from there? I feel like you've gotta at least see what you can pry from them, assuming that they and their fans are gonna be livid after another season of misery, to miss out on the two generational players in the draft, and might be willing to do something stupid.

It's all a huge hypothetical anyway, but so is this thread in general, so why not.

• Like 1

I've been wondering almost the opposite here.

Let's say the Devils somehow win the draft lottery again. Buffalo finishes last and gets the #2 pick, Edmonton second-worst and is sitting at #3.

Do you call up Edmonton and say "You guys just went from having either McDavid or Eichel to neither. Blow me away." and see if you can pull multiple pieces to fill some pretty glaring holes in this team (and future draft picks) and give up McDavid in the process? Or do you thank your lucky stars that you somehow won your second lottery in four years and take McDavid and go from there? I feel like you've gotta at least see what you can pry from them, assuming that they and their fans are gonna be livid after another season of misery, to miss out on the two generational players in the draft, and might be willing to do something stupid.

It's all a huge hypothetical anyway, but so is this thread in general, so why not.

You thank your lucky stars, give McDavis his jersey, get the fvck out, start building a hickey team around that stud, Cory, and the defense

Remember, the Flyers lost the Lindros deal. I think that deal permanently devalued blockbusters. I don't know that you need a Forsberg like talent (even though they didn't know what they had) to land that generational pick anymore. That said, I don't mortgage the future for 1 player. Look how long it took the Isles to start winning with JT. You need to build gradually and bring in a lot of good pieces. Even Crosby and Malkin couldn't win without Fleury, Staal, Orpik, etc. Personally, I prefer the TLOA scenario.

Remember, the Flyers lost the Lindros deal. I think that deal permanently devalued blockbusters. I don't know that you need a Forsberg like talent (even though they didn't know what they had) to land that generational pick anymore. That said, I don't mortgage the future for 1 player. Look how long it took the Isles to start winning with JT. You need to build gradually and bring in a lot of good pieces. Even Crosby and Malkin couldn't win without Fleury, Staal, Orpik, etc. Personally, I prefer the TLOA scenario.

The Flyers didn't really lose that deal. Lindros more or less on his own made the Flyers a perennial contender. He was that good, especially if you saw him play when he was healthy.

Besides Forsberg, and I suppose you could say Ricci, the Flyers gave up a lot of junk, and would have been a worse team had they not made the deal. On the other hand, had Lindros stayed with Quebec and then Colorado, that team might have won one or two more Cups if you didn't consider the butterfly effect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Flyers didn't really lose that deal. Lindros more or less on his own made the Flyers a perennial contender. He was that good, especially if you saw him play when he was healthy.

Besides Forsberg, and I suppose you could say Ricci, the Flyers gave up a lot of junk, and would have been a worse team had they not made the deal. On the other hand, had Lindros stayed with Quebec and then Colorado, that team might have won one or two more Cups if you didn't consider the butterfly effect.

They gave up $15 million.  Duchesne and Simon were pretty good NHLers.  And they gave up two firsts besides that.  And Ron Hextall who was an average goalie (though coming off a bad year).  Obviously if Forsberg is a bust the deal is thought about differently, but there's no chance that any team makes a similar deal these days.  

The Flyers lost the deal, but made some great trades to make up for it.  The Brind'Amour trade was a heist that they had made the year previous.  The deal for Leclair and Desjardins was also great.  

Edited by Triumph

I don't but that Lindros was that much better than Forsberg. IMO Foraberg also makes them a perennial contender, especially with 15 mil to supplement. At some point, giving up a star, solid role players, and draft picks or money is too much. I'd much rather be Quebec/Colorado and compile assets. I know they got lucky that Roy and Montreal fell out, and compiling asses is easy when you have Forsberg and Sakic, so not exactly the Devils situation, but I don't know that anyone short of Gretzky is worth that kind of hall.

They gave up $15 million. Duchesne and Simon were pretty good NHLers. And they gave up two firsts besides that. And Ron Hextall who was an average goalie (though coming off a bad year). Obviously if Forsberg is a bust the deal is thought about differently, but there's no chance that any team makes a similar deal these days.

The Flyers lost the deal, but made some great trades to make up for it. The Brind'Amour trade was a heist that they had made the year previous. The deal for Leclair and Desjardins was also great.

The $15 million didn't come out of any fans pocket, and didn't prevent the Flyers from making any other deal. So it is irrelevant, completely irrelevant.

The only reason the deal doesn't look as good, is because of Lindros's injuries, which is less likely to happen these days because of not being able to make hits to the head.

If it means trying to bring him to the Devils?

If we are third, I would suggest a package of Merill/Gelinas, the 2016 First and the 2015 first (which best case will be 3rd and worst case will be...like, 6th. However, I think we're drafting either 3rd or 5th)

Trading our 2015 1st rd pick isn't an option since this theoretical trade wouldn't happen until after the draft.

I really don't it's a plausible situation though. McDavid is going to immediately play in the NHL and as such would have to sign an ELC right after the draft. I don't think that a player would not mention that they would have no interest in signing if drafted in the interviews that teams do prior to the draft. That would be a really sh!tty move to let a team draft you and then immediately reject any contract offer.

Trading our 2015 1st rd pick isn't an option since this theoretical trade wouldn't happen until after the draft.

I really don't it's a plausible situation though. McDavid is going to immediately play in the NHL and as such would have to sign an ELC right after the draft. I don't think that a player would not mention that they would have no interest in signing if drafted in the interviews that teams do prior to the draft. That would be a really sh!tty move to let a team draft you and then immediately reject any contract offer.

I think he'd let them know before hand that he wouldn't go. Especially since he'd know which team would pick him months in advance.

Any kid who has proven NOTHING in the league needs to shut the fvck up and know his role. I don't care how good he's supposed to be. You go to the team that drafts you and shut your mouth.

Eh, at this point I wouldn't blame them, and I am usually the one saying exactly what you just did. If I am the potential star drafted by the Oilers, I am definitely taking a look at how many top draft picks the Oilers have racked up in the past 10 years, and I am considering how poorly many of those players have developed in their system. The Oilers have been an utter curse on the NHL in the last decade: consistently sucking and drafting top talent, and turning these players into nothing more than a sh!tshow. 

The $15 million didn't come out of any fans pocket, and didn't prevent the Flyers from making any other deal. So it is irrelevant, completely irrelevant.

The only reason the deal doesn't look as good, is because of Lindros's injuries, which is less likely to happen these days because of not being able to make hits to the head.

You don't know what deals it did or did not prevent.

The only reason the deal doesn't look as good is because Forsberg was almost as good as Lindros, then you throw in a bunch of other pieces that became valuable.  It's not a fiasco, but the Flyers certainly could've gotten themselves into big trouble with that deal, and indeed they lacked a player like Steve Duchesne for years afterward.

Here's my ideal scenario:

Jagr gets traded for a second-round pick that could turn into a conditional first if said team makes a deep run in the playoffs

Marek Zidlicky gets traded for a second-round pick and a decent prospect/or/5th round pick or thereabouts

Ryder gets traded for anything of minor value (5th-6th rounder or decent prospect)

Devils finish with 5th worst record or lower

Devils win lottery

Devils hire Dave Tippett as their next coach in the offseason

I think four of those scenarios are realistic and five are doable. With six, well, we win the lottery.

The Devils do not have a package that can get you McDavid. None at all.

This. Not even close. Do you remember what Quebec got for Lindros? There was a top flight defenseman, a HOF forward, a franchise goalie, who was a bit past his prime but a borderline HOF level player, three more guys, two draft picks and $15 million.

The trades proposed in this thread would maybe, MAYBE bring back a game worn McDavid jersey without him in it.

Edited by mfitz804

The Flyers also brought in some good talent to surround Lindros. He didn't make them a perennial contender single-handedly.