Your Thoughts About: #11 Stephen Gionta

Derlique

Was a revelation on the 2012 Cup run along with the rest of the CBGB line. Admittedly, I was really frustrated with DeBoer's usage of him in 2013 and the season after. However, I have come around on him recently. I think he's fine in a fourth line role with some PK time sprinkled in.

Amazing that Gionta has built himself an NHL career, as this is a player who once scored 2 goals in most of a minor league season. Offensively he's probably below replacement level but he draws penalties (something in real short supply on this team) and has rebounded to be an okay territorial player on a team that is now lacking that sort of player.  I hope this year is his last with the franchise - I think he turns 32 this year or is already 32 - but it's not his fault he got put in situations he shouldn't be in by the previous coaching staffs.  Fine guy to have as a 13th forward.

RANT WARNING:

151904_600.gif

Stephen Gionta, whether it's fair or not, embodies everything I hated about the Devils under the PDB era.  It's just easier if I bullet point the reasons why I can't stand him:

• He's an AHL caliber forward who was fed NHL minutes (ES, PK, and PP at one time or another) because of PDB's blatant favoritism towards veteran players.  He was immune to any sort of doghouse, no matter how badly he played or hurt the team. 
  • Goes with the above point, but he was given minutes that JJ or another young forward should've had a chance to earn.  
  • He has no shot.  He has no ability to win faceoffs (wasn't he at something like 30% at some point?), he has no ability to use his limited frame to box players out defensively.  He's quick on his skates, that's literally all he brings to the table.
  • I constantly wanted to punch a whole in a wall as I watched players on the opposing powerplay literally pass right around him and his limited reach.  Not knocking the guy for being short - but the coach has to realize when a player isn't suited for a certain role.
  • He's an offensive black hole.  I'm convinced he makes his linemates worse, although I haven't looked up the advanced statistics to back that feeling up.  Seeing him in the occasional top-6 role made my blood boil.

I will be forever grateful for what the CBGB line did in the 2012 playoffs.  But it should've ended the following season.  

I obviously hope one of our younger guys takes his spot this year, and we can finally put an end to the "Gionta's brother" sideshow.

/end rant.  That felt good. 

Edited by Devilsfan118

I think hes been able to steal some minutes because he was the fastest skater on one of the slowest teams in the nhl the past few years. As we've gotten younger and a bit faster I see his role decreasing. 4th Line/Fill-in at best.

Gionta's fine on the PK. His reach is a limitation there but I thought last season there was much less puck chasing.

I really feel the opposite. Teams seem to gameplan on using Gionta's lack of reach to their advantage. When Gionta was on the ice the other team would pass around him either by design or pragmatism.

I really feel the opposite. Teams seem to gameplan on using Gionta's lack of reach to their advantage. When Gionta was on the ice the other team would pass around him either by design or pragmatism.

I dunno.  On the one hand, teams are getting fewer shots on goal when he's out there, and it seems like it's by a considerable margin.  But they're also scoring more.  It's not a large sample so it's kinda impossible to judge from that alone.

One thing that is true, Josefson's numbers on the PK over the last 3 years so far are worse in both shots on goal and goals against.