GDT : Devils vs Golden Knights 04/03/18 - 5 PM

moustic

Rough patch?  Cory's won 17 of 37 games this year with below average splits.  Yeah they're really in a playoff spot cause of a goalie that wins less than half his games with below average splits.  He's 31, we shouldn't have already 'wasted his best years'.

Edited by NJDevs4978

10 hours ago, Triumph said:

You look for any reason to tear down Schneider.  Schneider has made a ton of clutch saves.  He has just always had a terrible team around him, and that affects everyone's perception.  People can't get away from it.  He might now be an average goalie, but he was not an average goalie when he got here, the Devils just wasted the best 3 years of his career.

This is very accurate...not to mention that NO ONE was bitching about Cory signing a long-term deal to stay here (just about everyone was terrified that he was going to leave), or knocking his play much during his first three seasons here, when he put up a .924 save% over that time, on some lousy teams, where on several occasions, we were lamenting damned near everyone else BUT Cory.  The inaccurate narrative that Cory's somehow always been this unclutch loser who's forever letting softies in at the worst possible time is just nonsense. 

All this being said, if Cory is indeed becoming an average overall-type goaltender who's now wildly inconsistent and prone to brutal slumps like we've seen at times during the past two seasons, and is only going to be an overall .910-ish guy going forward...with four years still left on his deal and no one in the system even remotely ready to challenge him, that's very concerning, to say the least.  And not because I think Cory's turned into some unmotivated fat cat now who doesn't care or isn't working hard because he's well compensated (another narrative I don't buy)...but because I think Shero might have to get very creative in bringing some other goalie who's truly capable of being a 1/1A who might have to start 35-45 games if Cory isn't capable of being the guy that we saw during his first few seasons as a Devil.  Maybe somehow that turns out to be Blackwood in the near future, but that doesn't seem like a very safe bet.  I doubt that it's Appleby, Kinkaid, or Lack either. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I think the depressing thing that I'm starting to realize is that this team is just so far away. If Hall isn't playing out of his mind like he's been all season, or if Cory isn't stealing games left and right like in October/November, this team is just plain...bad. Aside from some occasional bursts from Nico, who is having a very good season for a teenager, or a goal every 3-4 games from Palmieri, nobody can do anything.  We knew Boyle, Gibbons and Bratt wouldn't keep up their paces, but Boyle hasn't done anything since the new year. Can't win a faceoff, can't keep up, just looks ineffective. No idea if he's worn out due to meds or if he's just done, but he has to stop being out there for key situations. 

I will say, I don't think Maroon is a great fit for this team, but I've been much more impressed with him than Grabner. Grabner was pretty good his first two games, but has been utterly invisible the last three. 

The one thing I will say in defense to this team, and I know you probably don't want to hear it. They have been insanely unlucky the last games. Carolina and Florida scored two goals (each!) that banked off our d and in. You see Knights dmen crashing into Fleury and somehow the puck dribbles wide or ends up under him. Hopefully the puck will bounce our way down the stretch. Time to win the next two before the road trip from hell. No excuses, not even against Winnipeg.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Rough patch?  Cory's won 17 of 37 games this year with below average splits.  Yeah they're really in a playoff spot cause of a goalie that wins less than half his games with below average splits.  He's 31, we shouldn't have already 'wasted his best years'.

You don't know how aging curves work - most 31 year old goalies are not the same player they were 6-7 years ago.  Also he's lost 9 games in a row, so when we started on this journey, he had won 17 of 28, and even in light of that he still has a better save percentage than Kinkaid.

MB's recaps + a first-rounder + cash + future considerations for mfitz's recaps.  I'll throw in Quenneville too.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1