official off topic thread

pumpkin cutter

31 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

well no, if i had to be at that level i'd at least be Billy Zane. Cause well... he's Billy Zane and banged Audrey in Twin Peaks

Did you watch the return or whatever it was called that came out a few years ago? I had mixed feelings about it. 

Spoiler

I hated that we had to wait like 18 episodes to see Coop again, and the Dougie stuff started to get old after a while, but overall I liked it. The abomb/creation of killer Bob episode might have been the most Lynchian thing ever 

Edited by Nicomo

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Did you watch the return or whatever it was called that came out a few years ago? I had mixed feelings about it. 

[spoiler]I hated that we had to wait like 18 episodes to see Coop again, and the Dougie stuff started to get old after a while, but overall I liked it. The abomb/creation of killer Bob episode might have been the most Lynchian thing ever[/spoiler]

well since i did watch it i dont mind that your spoiler tag didnt work haha might wanna fix that ;) (i'll send this now and add more in an edit so that someone else isn't spoiled)

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

in the spirit of sharing, here’s a (recent award winning!! woo) house I was the project architect for recently

FA5F6BD6-6E5C-44AF-B327-C19DEE4958AD.jpeg

16702FF5-5C4E-4923-BFF4-88288B131F9C.jpeg

Dude, that’s beautiful stuff. 

I don’t have experience with architects beyond my renovation, and honestly, he sucked balls. First he designed a renovation about $150k over our budget, and it had to be revised. When we gave the revised plan to the builder, he immediately started to make changes that greatly, greatly improved the job. 

He also failed to get permits issued on time, failed to tell me that we failed inspection because the sidewalks had to be replaced (not to grade, not that we touched them or anything, but they still had to be replaced). 

Delayed my Certificate of Occupancy by like 8 months as a result. 

Then, at the end, he sent me a bill for “extra” approvals that were needed, all of which were covered in the contract. So I told him to take the bill, go stuff it, and be glad I’m not suing him for how poorly he handled the job. 

Just now, MB3 said:

that’s malpractice and should be reported to your local AIA affiliate. Even if you don’t sue, you could be saving other people from dealing with him! 

At that point I was just happy to be done and I just moved on. It’s coming up on 8 years since we did the work (hence, it was time to repaint). 

Best thing the builder did was 1) convince us to remove the wall between the kitchen and living room, which allowed us to put additional cabinetry and get the open feel we have, and 2) convincing us, after making that decision, to fully re-do the kitchen. 

Our true purpose was to do a roof raise, not necessarily to gut the entire first floor as well, but that’s what we did.

The builder really wanted us to. He lowered the price to add the kitchen twice, and the third time said it was basically at cost and he really didn’t want to go forward without doing it. Only had about half the cash for the added work and had to borrow the extra cash from my parents (they got paid back within 8 months, longer than I wanted to take but they didn’t care; it was better than when they “loan” my sister money and it just gets added to the tally.

Both of the above were 100% the right call and I can’t imagine that we almost (insert Zacha here) didn’t do it. 

3 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

beat that

20170718_200702.jpg

I thought you were wearing that fish as a boot. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Thanks man. We’re not flashy people, though that accent wall was originally a dark red against a cream color for the rest of the first floor. It looked pretty cool too, but we were ready for a change. The lighter color on the back actually makes the place appear larger too. 

This is the back wall, taken just after it was painted and before we finished the renovation and moved back in. Which is why there is no furniture but there is a giant whiteboard. If you zoom in, my bathroom sink is in the backyard lol. Not sure why, because we had no intention of re-using it. 

AFB9EF08-B6A8-4AC6-BFB8-3C2678555B1C.jpeg

wow where did you get this giant chattering teeth display?

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

wow where did you get this giant chattering teeth display?

It was on sale, next to the carpet. 

6 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Where did our rocket ships go? 

Not sure but I do like having the Stanley Cup better. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Where did our rocket ships go? 

Look at your profile and you can see that ranks show differently now. Higher post count badge changes. Rockets are lower on the list.🙂

Edit: clicking icon on pic brings to page with ranks and badges.

Edited by StarDew
adding rank access

4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

i was about to comment on the fact that i’m 99% sure fitzy is wearing a devils jersey in that reflection!

Holy sh!t GREAT eye. That was early to mid October and you are fvcking right, that is a Devils jersey!!

• Like 2

Was looking at my renovation pictures and wanted to share this one. This is what I found when I came to pick up the mail after Day 1 of the demolition phase. Total holy sh!t moment, most expensive thing I’ll ever buy and it’s completely fvcked lol. 

BAB8BEDF-CAA8-4DF1-9D69-7ACCC52CCFC7.jpeg

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Was looking at my renovation pictures and wanted to share this one. This is what I found when I came to pick up the mail after Day 1 of the demolition phase. Total holy sh!t moment, most expensive thing I’ll ever buy and it’s completely fvcked lol. 

where's the demolition photo?

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Been watching Sweet Tooth on Netflix, only have an episode to go but it's been really well done. It's based on a comic book(it's not superheros) from many years ago that I had read and I forgot how oddly fitting it is to watch this during a pandemic. Definitely recommend it. 

The comic is great (Jeff Lemire is one of favorite writers). I haven’t watched the series yet, but I heard they toned it down quite a bit, which kind of had me worried when I first saw the trailer. Seems like it’s been a hit though. Pretty sure it’s already been picked up for a second season. I’ll have to get to it eventually. 

@Jerzey have you watched The Immortal (Gomorrah prequel) yet? It’s out on HBO MAX now. 

On the career/job thing, I’m a licensed health insurance agent; essentially, my job is to speak to mostly seniors and lower income folks over the phone and help them find out what Medicare Advantage health plan they may qualify for, and help them decide if it’s a good fit for their health situation. It’s simultaneously the most rewarding and aggravating job I’ve ever had; rewarding because I’m legit helping people who need it. Aggravating because of how uneducated and rude people can be. That wears you down when you’re making over 100 phone calls a day, five days a week lol. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Holy sh!t…. I probably would’ve had a stroke 🤣

35 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

The comic is great (Jeff Lemire is one of favorite writers). I haven’t watched the series yet, but I heard they toned it down quite a bit, which kind of had me worried when I first saw the trailer. Seems like it’s been a hit though. Pretty sure it’s already been picked up for a second season. I’ll have to get to it eventually. 

@Jerzey have you watched The Immortal (Gomorrah prequel) yet? It’s out on HBO MAX now. 

Is it!? Haven’t seen it yet. Hopefully I’ll watch it tonight. Thanks for the heads up.

I’m still only halfway through season 3. I was trying to watch it with my wife but it’s hard with a 2 and 4 year old that don’t go to bed until 11-12 at night. We don’t get to watch adult things right now.

35 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Is it!? Haven’t seen it yet. Hopefully I’ll watch it tonight. Thanks for the heads up.

I’m still only halfway through season 3. I was trying to watch it with my wife but it’s hard with a 2 and 4 year old that don’t go to bed until 11-12 at night. We don’t get to watch adult things right now.

Actually definitely DO NOT watch it until you’ve finished season 3. Major spoilers. I’m watching it now and it’s not actually a prequel, it’s a spin-off that picks up right after the S3 finale. 

• Thanks 1