GDT: 4/22/23, Game 3, Devils @ Rangers

Colorado Rockies 1976

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

I never knew about his weird little face off style until the broadcast mentioned it tonight. Maybe more guys should try it. 

I was curious if he could get Jack Hughes to start doing it. Jack is skilled and quick enough to start stealing draws. 

Edited by RizzMB30

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Mercer looks like he’s still got some nerves and rushing on small plays. Hopefully he settles down soon. I was so worried about Jack being fragile in the playoffs but he’s been taking hits and getting right back up. He’s a tough kid. I think Nico is due for a big goal. He’s that kinda player

Jack does the dodgeball thing. I’m not worried about him. Nor any of our other players. They stood their ground as tiny and cute as they are. Love my devils. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

They got Gomer on the post game.

Love seeing the former Devils on the postgame. Gomer has a little bit of nerves, but he's fine. Love hearing his takes and that he gets to rag on his Ranger friends. 

Last game they had him sitting around with Chico and it was youtube/TV gold. 

• Like 2

Just now, Nicomo said:

I’m really not. I think he’s a perfectly average goalie. I’m just much higher on Schmid. When you have a kid who’s 6”5, is incredible positionally, and is as calm and collected as Schmid is the other guy better be DAMN good to keep him on the bench. 

I said during the regular season that it should be a legitimate conversation about starting Schmid in the playoffs, and he just proved that right. 

Was above average this year, but I’ll give you that this season is probably close to his top end.  VV did have multiple extended stretches of .925+ save% play though…feels like that’s being glossed over.

If Schmid plays well enough to take the job from him, obviously huge win for the Devils…that’s two goalies that they should feel confident that they can win with.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, StarDew said:

Trying to visualize PK and Messier after the game but no post game.

I’m sure it involved some type of dancing from PK, and Messier looking at him with visible confusion lol. 

14 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

97% save percentage for Schmid

image.gif.d3b11485af6e8506df72f979f904d4c8.gif

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Was above average this year, but I’ll give you that this season is probably close to his top end.  VV did have multiple extended stretches of .925+ save% play though…feels like that’s being glossed over.

If Schmid plays well enough to take the job from him, obviously huge win for the Devils…that’s two goalies that they should feel confident that they can win with.  

It's very likely Vanny had the bad luck of being the go to for the first two games. Give Schmid the next game, if he takes a loss you can still throw a bet on Vanny to give us a strong game before the series closes out. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Devs64 said:

Timo needs to cool off a bit too. Refs won't give him a break.

He’s so big and strong any little thing he does results in taking a guy down. He definitely needs to chill. 

The Rags are really not that scary at ES. 

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He’s also not getting enough quality chances, but he’s not alone there.  

5 SOG tonight, and 2 of them were him driving to the net. I’m liking his game outside of the penalties. 

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

He’s so big and strong any little thing he does results in taking a guy down. He definitely needs to chill. 

The Rags are really not that scary at ES. 

100% accurate and correct. Neutralize that PP or at least hold them to 1 PP goal and they lose a lot of their teeth. We can match them everywhere else. 

The shots on goal for tonight were lacking, I expect the Devils to take over more parts of the game next agame with their possession and dominate the run of play. 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Love seeing the former Devils on the postgame. Gomer has a little bit of nerves, but he's fine. Love hearing his takes and that he gets to rag on his Ranger friends. 

Last game they had him sitting around with Chico and it was youtube/TV gold. 

That guy has some great stories of his old Devils days on some podcasts. He’s a funny dude 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RizzMB30 said:

100% accurate and correct. Neutralize that PP or at least hold them to 1 PP goal and they lose a lot of their teeth. We can match them everywhere else. 

The shots on goal for tonight were lacking, I expect the Devils to take over more parts of the game next agame with their possession and dominate the run of play. 

We gotta stop taking offensive zone penalties, they took 3, that's absolutely insane. I think it's 5-6 for the series too. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Right, he had a couple nice runs for sure.  But Schmid put up a .922 sv% in 14 starts (18 GP). Obviously not a real big sample size, but it also wasn’t just a handful of games either. 

And IIRC Schmid also came in cold in relief a couple times and played really well. Which is pretty tough to do. Aside from his physical traits it just feels like the kid has “it.” 

But as you know all too well with goalies it’s just completely unpredictable outside of the couple top guys. I really hope they found something in him though. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Someone else said it already but man we got so lucky that Blackwood sh!t the bed so badly in his last 2 games that even Lindy knew he couldn't start him. 

Imagine if they left Schmid in Utica…

• Shocking 2

11 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

That guy has some great stories of his old Devils days on some podcasts. He’s a funny dude 

I developed a whole new appreciation for Gomez after hearing him on Chiclets a couple times. Such a fun dude, and as you said a great story teller. 

Edited by Nicomo

16 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Imagine if they left Schmid in Utica…

Ruff said at the post-game presser said that he was going to go with Vanny again, but the goalie coach Rogalski talked with him and made the suggestion and it made Ruff think about it a little more. 

• Shocking 1

45 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I’m really not. I think he’s a perfectly average goalie. I’m just much higher on Schmid. When you have a kid who’s 6”5, is incredible positionally, and is as calm and collected as Schmid is the other guy better be DAMN good to keep him on the bench. 

I said during the regular season that it should be a legitimate conversation about starting Schmid in the playoffs, and he just proved that right. 

Thing is Vitek earned the right to start the playoffs.  You don't have a guy get 30+ wins, stabilize the goaltending position then pass him over before the the playoffs even began for a kid who's made 15 starts this year and a handful last year, as good as Schmid looked.  I don't care if Vitek gave up fifteen goals the first two games, he earned the right to start the playoffs.  Obviously Schmid has been good enough (and Vitek sporadic enough) that it wasn't going to be a terribly long leash if things went south. 

I don't think Vitek was all that much worse than Schmid in Game #2, it's just that everything went in the net because their PK 'defense' of Kreider was awful and Kane hit the net on his breakaway.  Maybe there's something to be said for the fact you need a bigger goalie because of all the deflected goals, Lindy himself alluded to that as a reason for the switch during the game.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Thing is Vitek earned the right to start the playoffs.  You don't have a guy get 30+ wins, stabilize the goaltending position then pass him over for a kid who's made 15 starts this year and a handful last year, as good as Schmid looked.  I don't care if Vitek gave up fifteen goals the first two games, he earned the right to start the playoffs.  Obviously Schmid has been good enough (and Vitek sporadic enough) that it wasn't going to be a long leash.

Starting VV made plenty of sense. I just said it should have at least been a conversation. I don’t really care about the lack of experience excuse wrt Schmid. VV had exactly 3 playoff starts before this series. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 1