GDT: 4/22/23, Game 3, Devils @ Rangers

Colorado Rockies 1976

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

That overtime the Devils looked like themselves. Also Schmid the job is yours. 

They waited till like the 59th minute of the 11th hour to do so, I don't even think this game was all that much better than the first two other than the stars actually had something of a pulse (sporadically...Jack and Dougie weren't very good at all apart from their goals) and they didn't allow two Kreider tip-in goals on the power play tonight.  Part of me still thinks this was Madden Game #3 2008 2.0, the OT goal on the road that avoids a sweep and little else.  They'll have to play a lot better in Game #4 and make this stick for me to believe, especially since they're pretty skittish at home.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

I miss Chico so much. Being a non-local I don’t get to hear him on the radio like you guys. Guy is just an absolute gem. 

You dont need to be local, I don't even have a clue if it's on the am radio anymore, I always just throw it on here on the way home from the games... 

https://www.nhl.com/devils/team/devils-hockey-network

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Ruff said at the post-game presser said that he was going to go with Vanny again, but the goalie coach Rogalski talked with him and made the suggestion and it made Ruff think about it a little more. 

uh huh. bs. he did what we all said he should do. once again, vtek is my boy and yea i'm starting him next game. 

39 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Chico with a good point on the lack of rebounds. It also seemed like the Rags shooters were thrown off a bit by his size. 

Chico is a national treasure. He has the enthusiasm of someone 50 years younger than him. He's so great and he's such a homer and fan. 

• Like 5

I watch games online via the high seas, if you follow me, and tonight was the first night where I didn't have the option to watch the regional broadcast. I could only watch the national one. Wonder why that happened tonight.

By the way, for anyone wondering, the Devils usually have a post game show on youtube after games. Sometimes when watching the ESPN feed I won't get the post game so I go there to get my fix and Chico is on a lot.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I watch games online via the high seas, if you follow me, and tonight was the first night where I didn't have the option to watch the regional broadcast. I could only watch the national one. Wonder why that happened tonight.

It was an ABC/ESPN exclusive; no regional broadcast last night.

Edited by MadDog2020

6 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

They waited till like the 59th minute of the 11th hour to do so, I don't even think this game was all that much better than the first two other than the stars actually had something of a pulse (sporadically...Jack and Dougie weren't very good at all apart from their goals) and they didn't allow two Kreider tip-in goals on the power play tonight.  Part of me still thinks this was Madden Game #3 2008 2.0, the OT goal on the road that avoids a sweep and little else.  They'll have to play a lot better in Game #4 and make this stick for me to believe, especially since they're pretty skittish at home.

Yeah there’s still work to be done, as far as truly breaking the defensive hold that the Rangers have had on the Devils to date.  But at least we’re seeing SOME signs that they might be able to do it…at the very least, the PK had started to play better.  And though Schmid was excellent, at least it wasn’t like he had to stand on his head.  It didn’t feel like a purely stolen win.

Wow, what a night!   I need to pace myself more appropriately with the beer intake for the possibility of overtime going forward.   Don’t remember much or anything after the game ended and woke up on the couch.   At least I didn’t pee myself.  That would be a tough superstition to have to recreate Monday and Wednesday.   

After what I saw last night, I am so excited about the combo of Schmid and VV for at least the next two years.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

You dont need to be local, I don't even have a clue if it's on the am radio anymore, I always just throw it on here on the way home from the games... 

https://www.nhl.com/devils/team/devils-hockey-network

The NHL app also allows you to stream either radio broadcast for all games.  I do it all the time when driving somewhere in the evening. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Wow, what a night!   I need to pace myself more appropriately with the beer intake for the possibility of overtime going forward.   Don’t remember much or anything after the game ended and woke up on the couch.   At least I didn’t pee myself.  That would be a tough superstition to have to recreate Monday and Wednesday.   

After what I saw last night, I am so excited about the combo of Schmid and VV for at least the next two years.  

VV + Schmid - Deadwood = Solid goalie tandem for sure

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

Ruff said at the post-game presser said that he was going to go with Vanny again, but the goalie coach Rogalski talked with him and made the suggestion and it made Ruff think about it a little more. 

Supposedly even Marty was in on the decision. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah there’s still work to be done, as far as truly breaking the defensive hold that the Rangers have had on the Devils to date.  But at least we’re seeing SOME signs that they might be able to do it…at the very least, the PK had started to play better.  And though Schmid was excellent, at least it wasn’t like he had to stand on his head.  It didn’t feel like a purely stolen win.

He's positionally sound and got in the Rangers heads a little bit thinking they had to be perfect with their shots. He didn't have to flop around to make saves. He's been the better goalie this year. VV has been very good, but I don't think he puts fear in shooters. Whereas, Schmid takes up the whole net and forces the shooter to think.

• Like 3