NHL Awards 2023

Chimaira_Devil_#9

As if today couldn't get any better Nico and Jack have both been named as finalists for NHL awards. 

Jack for the Lady Byng.

Do I really need to say what Nico has been nominated for? 

They are going to be underdogs, but it's the 2023 Devils. Anything can happen. 

• EvilHeart 4

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

I can’t see Bergeron not winning one last one with rumors of him retiring. But I think Nico will win a few

Really should go to Marner.  

10 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Despite all the early “low end #1’s” talk, these two both turned into franchise changing players just like they were supposed to. 

We’re very lucky to have both of them. Two lotteries in three years. It’s incredible.

• Like 3

On 5/2/2023 at 10:00 PM, Nicomo said:

Despite all the early “low end #1’s” talk, these two both turned into franchise changing players just like they were supposed to. 

The issue was Auston Matthews and Connor McDavid were the prior #1's preceding him. 

But after that you have Hischier, Dahlin, Hughes, Lafreniere, Power, and Slafkovsky. 

Lafreniere was supposed to be a lot better, but I honestly blame the Rangers and their team construction that has hampered his development.

50 minutes ago, aylbert said:

Lafreniere was supposed to be a lot better, but I honestly blame the Rangers and their team construction that has hampered his development.

I tend to agree with you. Is it a coincidence that Kakko AND Lafreniere have been underwhelming? I'm suspicious.

6 hours ago, Jerrydevil said:

I tend to agree with you. Is it a coincidence that Kakko AND Lafreniere have been underwhelming? I'm suspicious.

The only thing I’d counter to that with is they’ve both floundered under two different head coaches now. There was a lot of blame from Rags fans about Quinn being the problem, and then they went out and hired one of the hottest names available after they fired him. Meanwhile, we got Ruff and they all laughed and made fun. Yet our young players that are the same age like Jack and Mercer have excelled. So shifting the blame onto Gallant now is pretty funny to me, and feels like moving the goal posts a bit. 

• Like 2

On 5/4/2023 at 11:22 AM, Jerrydevil said:

17 hours ago, Nicomo said:

The only thing I’d counter to that with is they’ve both floundered under two different head coaches now. There was a lot of blame from Rags fans about Quinn being the problem, and then they went out and hired one of the hottest names available after they fired him. Meanwhile, we got Ruff and they all laughed and made fun. Yet our young players that are the same age like Jack and Mercer have excelled. So shifting the blame onto Gallant now is pretty funny to me, and feels like moving the goal posts a bit. 

When you get young players you ease them into the game at the NHL level but there is always a point where they have to finally step up and take more responsibility and that is a massive growth moment. NYR buys in top players year after year that prevents opportunities for the young guys to have to step up in that way and that's gotta be hindering them.

Jack and Nico both had those moments. I think this playoff is another one too.

• Like 1