Damon Severson to the Columbus Blue Jackets for 3rd Rnd

Devilsfan118

28 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

8 years!! 8!!! Madness. 

Wishing him all the best, he has been frustrating, at times terrible and others absolutely solid, never know what you are going to get with Damon.

I am thrilled to get anything for him as well. We have so much in the system that we can afford to lose him at this stage. 

Pretty much exactly where I'm at.  I can't justify 8 years for Damon.  Just can't...especially since I have no idea who Columbus thought they were bidding against when they gave him so much term.

I have nothing against him, even though I was pretty critical of him at times, but on that front I was hardly alone.  Yeah just when you thought you'd had enough, he'd unleash a great stretch pass or do something impressive; just when you'd start to warm up to him, he'd make a series of colossally stupid mistakes that you couldn't believe he could still make.  Yeah he is what he is and I don't think he'll ever suddenly stop being that.

The Devils went back to having a pick in every round to work with except the first, and their current third is an upgrade in position lover the one they surrendered as part of the Marino deal.  Not too shabby.

3 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Somebody will see the big body and the mobility and give him 6m and an extra year I'm sure. All the more reason to let him walk. I like both defensemen, and we could probably keep one of the two, but they are just worth too much on the open market and after Graves playoff performance, I think we will be okay. 

Yeah I'm sure Fitz would love to snag something in a Graves sign-and-trade, but can't see any teams stepping up who feel the need to sign him for eight years.  But yeah if someone offered 6 x $6 million I can't say it would shock me.  I'd bring him back on a one-year deal as insurance in case either Luke or Nemec need extra seasoning, but he'll obviously get 5+ years on the market, and there's no real future for him here...I don't think he'd want to be a stopgap whose job would constantly be on the line.  Also better to have as much money as possible to sign all of the "other guys", once Fitz knows how much he has to work with after Timo and Bratt are re-upped (until I hear otherwise, I'm going to keep assuming Fitz's Plan A is to keep both).

A bit over $34 million in cap space right now...figure Fitz will have about $15 million or left (after Timo/Bratt) for:

Bastian, Boqvist, Sharangovich, McLeod, Haula, Tatar, Wood, and Bahl (or whoever replaces them, as I don't see ALL of them being re-signed)

I didn't realize how well-traveled that 2023 Calgary 3rd-round pick was...since March 2022, it's gone from Calgary to Seattle to Columbus to here.  

2023 NHL Draft - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

27 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I didn't realize how well-traveled that 2023 Calgary 3rd-round pick was...since March 2022, it's gone from Calgary to Seattle to Columbus to here.  

2023 NHL Draft - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

That's gonna be a story for the ages if we wind up striking gold on this pick

• Like 3

Way to do your homework there Ethan...guess you didn't happen to notice that the Devils have a right-handed shot in Nemec who was drafted second overall just before LAST SEASON you dolt...you didn't mention him in your article ONCE.  Seves being moved has NOTHING to do with some "concession that keeping everyone will be impossible"...yes, that day will inevitably come, but Seves was NOT some painful cap casualty.  The Devils simply didn't need him anymore and were NEVER going to sign him to market value...there was NO reason to do so.  

Devils send Damon Severson to Blue Jackets in eyebrow-raising trade (nypost.com)

26 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Way to do your homework there Ethan...guess you didn't happen to notice that the Devils have a right-handed shot in Nemec who was drafted second overall just before LAST SEASON you dolt...you didn't mention him in your article ONCE.  Seves being moved has NOTHING to do with some "concession that keeping everyone will be impossible"...yes, that day will inevitably come, but Seves was NOT some painful cap casualty.  The Devils simply didn't need him anymore and were NEVER going to sign him to market value...there was NO reason to do so.  

Devils send Damon Severson to Blue Jackets in eyebrow-raising trade (nypost.com)

Dude, you're reading inferior publications again!

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

• Haha 8

19 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

That top 4 is all on the good side of 30. Just need all four to stay healthy and CBJ shouldn't be as porous as they were this year.  Don't forget Adam Boquist too. 

Also, incoming Timo Meier number change. 

I believe they should be much tougher opponent. If their goalie will figure it out, beware. Im not saying they are play off team from the start, but why not. Good defensive line, a lot of intriguing prospects. Carlsson should be the final piece, like we got Nemec year ago. 

18 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Dude, you're reading inferior publications again!

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

I was looking online to see if Seves had made any comments, and came across that “gem” of an article.

Yeah NYP is what it is, but geez, the author should at least be aware of Nemec’s presence within the organization.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Seves discussing the move:

With how bad Elvis and his family have been harassed by their fans I hope Sevo has some thick skin if he's back playing on the top pair. He wasn't happy getting relegated off the top pair last season but he played a lot better because of it. Will give him credit he stepped up in the middle of the year when Marino went down and the playoffs tho.

16 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

With how bad Elvis and his family have been harassed by their fans I hope Sevo has some thick skin if he's back playing on the top pair. He wasn't happy getting relegated off the top pair last season but he played a lot better because of it. Will give him credit he stepped up in the middle of the year when Marino went down and the playoffs tho.

I get the impression (based on comments that I’ve read since the deal) that the BJ fans think that they’re getting a much better player than they really are.  I don’t think they’re aware of Seves’ warts and how up-and-down he can be.  There’s a reason he was often so polarizing during his time here.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I get the impression (based on comments that I’ve read since the deal) that the BJ fans think that they’re getting a much better player than they really are.  I don’t think they’re aware of Seves’ warts and how up-and-down he can be.  There’s a reason he was often so polarizing during his time here.  

Severson chirped back at fans on Twitter at least once that I can remember. Just hope he is ready to delete his social media now.

• Like 1

I’m happy for Severson and I disagree with just about everything said about his contract.  The guy is a horse.  He just keeps going.  I also think he is better than what he gets credit for.  He played on a sh!tty team with sh!tty coaches and sh!tty systems.  Henrique, Zacha, Neosen, and others went on to have good careers after leaving a sh!tty Devils team.

3 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

I’m happy for Severson and I disagree with just about everything said about his contract.  The guy is a horse.

He makes some of the stupidest defensive mistakes you’ll ever see, and eight years is absolute lunacy. But you’re entitled to an opinion too. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Severson said there wasn't any dialog with Fitz after the exit interview. 😂

Was just about to post the same thing…Lebrun is 100% full of sh!t.  

4 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Severson said there wasn't any dialog with Fitz after the exit interview. 😂

I think there is a word missing from that tweet but I think it’s saying the agent has been consistent for a year that they wanted an 8 year deal.   The Devils looking at a possible short term option earlier and then basically just wishing him well at exit interview might both be correct.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Was just about to post the same thing…Lebrun is 100% full of sh!t.  

Im not sure if I'd go that far since I certainly don't know for sure, but it definitely makes sense for Lebrun to be trying to get some early June Twitter clicks. It doesn't make much sense, that's for sure.

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

I think there is a word missing from that tweet but I think it’s saying the agent has been consistent for a year that they wanted an 8 year deal.   The Devils looking at a possible short term option earlier and then basically just wishing him well at exit interview might both be correct.   

Yea okay I didn't think of it that way.

52 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

He makes some of the stupidest defensive mistakes you’ll ever see, and eight years is absolute lunacy. But you’re entitled to an opinion too. 

There’s definitely a bunch of Devils fans who have blinders on when it come to Seves.  I don’t quite understand it myself…he simply is not that good.  I’d take Marino and his game over what Severson brought any day of the week.  Seves never truly brought enough offense and intangibles to offset the many dumba$$ moments.  He just didn’t.

He was part of the reason the Devils were sh!tty while he was here….and it’s part of the season that he’s being left behind.  If he was deemed crucial to the cause, Fitz finds some way to keep him…someone else would be deemed expendable.  It’s no coincidence that Fitz drafted a RH-shot D with the 2OA last season.  Seves’ future as a Devil (and having any chance to be part of the “Turned The Corner” Devils) ended right there.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Im not sure if I'd go that far since I certainly don't know for sure, but it definitely makes sense for Lebrun to be trying to get some early June Twitter clicks. It doesn't make much sense, that's for sure.

I’m guessing if Fitz ever had any interest in Seves beyond this season, it would have been strictly as a stopgap, to possibly give Nemec more time if needed.  But obviously nothing remotely long-term. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I’m guessing if Fitz ever had any interest in Seves beyond this season, it would have been strictly as a stopgap, to possibly give Nemec more time if needed.  But obviously nothing remotely long-term. 

Lat provided the context that I missed. I could see Fitz thinking they hadn't seen enough of Nemec yet and kicked the can on a short term thing, but it ended up not being needed/wanted.

Luke will be in the NHL next season and I think, unless it is a Ty Smith level camp tank, Nemec is also in opening night.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Lat provided the context that I missed. I could see Fitz thinking they hadn't seen enough of Nemec yet and kicked the can on a short term thing, but it ended up not being needed/wanted.

Luke will be in the NHL next season and I think, unless it is a Ty Smith level camp tank, Nemec is also in opening night.

Agree fully, I think both are on the big club to start the season.  If for some reason Nemec isn’t, he will be well before the New Year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Puckbuster said:

I’m happy for Severson and I disagree with just about everything said about his contract.  The guy is a horse.  He just keeps going.  I also think he is better than what he gets credit for.  He played on a sh!tty team with sh!tty coaches and sh!tty systems.  Henrique, Zacha, Neosen, and others went on to have good careers after leaving a sh!tty Devils team.

Re:  the bolded, c'mon...

Henrique was basically the same player with the Ducks that he was with the Devils; look up his numbers and you'll see that they're not drastically different.  Zacha did set career highs in goals, assists, and points in 2022-23, but in the shortened 2020-21 season he was on pace to put up the same number of points that he did this past season...so not like he NEVER did it here, but it just felt like he was never going to become a consistent force, as his final season here showed; maybe he can ttuly become that in Boston (well, to the tune of 50-60 points per 82 GP, which if I'm a Bruins fan I take that from Zacha with no complaints at all).

Noesen is four teams removed from the Devils...he put up a whopping 9 points in 48 GP over three seasons with the Pens (6 games), the Sharks (39 games), the Leafs (1 game), and the Canes (2 games), as well as playing a LOT of games in the AHL...he carved out a role for himself this year, but had also appeared to do that in 2017-18 with the Devils, and it's not like he left here and immediately tore it up once set "free".  Let me see him at least continue to stick.

It's OK if you like Seves and are genuinely sorry to see him go (though I get the feeling Hughes and Nemec will make you forget about him very quickly...Seves had simply become expendable), but not really fair to try to force an inaccurate narrative to prop him up; of the three names you presented, one didn't really get better or worse, another went to a stacked team where yes, he appears to have fit in well and may produce more than he did here, and the other had to scuffle for a while before turning in one solid season, for the first time since 2017-18.  Doesn't really line up with what you're trying to imply.

• Like 2