Trade: Devils acquire Toffoli for Sharangovich and a 3rd

jagknife

Two words:

HOLY fvck

Calgary being proactive in trying to get a couple of pieces for a guy I guess they thought they couldn’t re-sign, so I get what they’re doing.

Devils get a guy who should be helpful, though likely only for this season.  But impossible not to love this deal for the 2023-24 Devils.  This moves makes them a better team in the short term.  Almost like a deadline rental, but they have Toffoli for a full year.  Great move.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, nessus said:

What I'll miss most is @MadDog2020 posting "SharonGOALvich" in the wrong thread while 5 beers deep right after Yegor scored a goal. Happened too infrequently last season.

Great trade by Fitz here, can't believe he pulled that off. Toffoli's 73 points last season were good for first on the Flames in points. That's ahead of Kadri, Lindholm, and Huberdeau.

I have Center Ice, so if I happen to be watching a Calgary game and he scores, I’ll be sure to post it in the Devils GDT and not the Around the League thread 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • EvilHeart 1

32 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

As for the rest of the trade. Holy sh!t Fitz. I don't know how he pulled this one off. Getting the 6th for Blackwood was fine and probably goes to show that his value wasn't high around the league. 

How the fvck did Fitz pull this one off? This is another top 6 forward who is a right handed right wing. He is Holtz's and Mercer's competition for top 6 time going in to 2023-24. I'm fine with a 3rd pick going the other way to get a guy like this. I cannot believe that Shango fetched Toffoli. I didn't think that he had THAT much more value than say Blackwood. I don't know if CGY sees him as a top 6 guy. 

Wow, my wife had to work late so I was in charge of dinner, bath and bedtime for our 3 year old and I just came back to this news.   

This is another unreal deal by Fitz.   He's on an absolute heater!    

I thought it was wishful thinking on my part hoping for a 2nd or 3rd for Sharangovich.  I can't believe Fitz turned him and a 3rd into a 73 point player.   There were a lot of you that said I among others were underestimating Yegor's value.  Happy to admit you guys were absolutely right.     

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 5

Just now, njbuff said:

This Devils team is now stacked depending on how the two rookie Dmen do.

If they aren't liabilities as rookies, then the Devils will do good things in 2023-24.

Let’s fvcking go! Unpopular opinion around here.. if a trade makes sense go get CH!

39 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Same. I wish Shango the best of luck in CGY. I hope he figures it out and plays Toffoli's ice time. I really really like his game and it does feel like he got outshined this year pretty severely, but I really hope he and his family like it and he does really well there. 

As for the rest of the trade. Holy sh!t Fitz. I don't know how he pulled this one off. Getting the 6th for Blackwood was fine and probably goes to show that his value wasn't high around the league. 

How the fvck did Fitz pull this one off? This is another top 6 forward who is a right handed right wing. He is Holtz's and Mercer's competition for top 6 time going in to 2023-24. I'm fine with a 3rd pick going the other way to get a guy like this. I cannot believe that Shango fetched Toffoli. I didn't think that he had THAT much more value than say Blackwood. I don't know if CGY sees him as a top 6 guy. 

Huge deal. This is a guy who, like Palat can play anywhere in your top 9. Has a reputation of being an excellent shooter/sniper. I think he'll be huge on our second PP unit. He's also won a Stanley Cup with LA in 2014 (We got ourselves another Ranger-killer). His raw stats look like he's been a career secondary scorer and last year seems like the anomaly. Middle six RW. 

Bratt-Hischier-Mercer
Meier-Hughes-Toffoli
Palat-Haula-Holtz/Boquist
Foote-McLeod-Bastian

Here's this too. Just evidence that it's kind of make or break for Holtzy next season. NHL or bust.  https://www.nj.com/devils/2023/06/what-devils-told-alexander-holtz-at-exit-interviews-career-defining-offseason.html 

Good to hear that they got Bratter on top of Holtzy and really pushing him. Sounds like the entire management team wanted to send him a message. I think the tools are there in the toolbox for him. I think if he figures out his "play away from the puck" as Lindy would say, I think he'll stick. 

I believe we still have Lazar too. And my kid is telling me Clarke should get a serious look.

5 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Let’s fvcking go! Unpopular opinion around here.. if a trade makes sense go get CH!

It doesn’t. I just posted the remaining cap space up thread. Timo, McLeod, and Bahl are pretty much must signs. There’s just not enough money to pay Hellebuyck what he’s reportedly seeking. 

I would have thought just watching Adin Hill win the Cup over the big money Bob on the other end would have convinced people we don’t need to go goalie shopping. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

It doesn’t. I just posted the remaining cap space up thread. Timo, McLeod, and Bahl are pretty much must signs. There’s just not enough money to pay Hellebuyck what he’s reportedly seeking. 

I would have thought just watching Adin Hill win the Cup over the big money Bob on the other end would have convinced people we don’t need to go goalie shopping. 

Let me preface my comment by saying I want to go into next year with Schmid and VV.   

That being said, I think CH could work if the price we pay Winnipeg in assets is as a 1 year rental.   Hellebuyck still has one more year on his current deal at 6.1 and we presumably would send VV and his salary back the other way as part of any package.  Where CH doesn't work is '24-'25 and beyond.      

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

Let me preface my comment by saying I want to go into next year with Schmid and VV.   

That being said, I think CH could work if the price we pay Winnipeg in assets is as a 1 year rental.   Hellebuyck still has one more year on his current deal at 6.1 and we presumably would send VV and his salary back the other way as part of any package.  Where CH doesn't work is '24-'25 and beyond.      

Thats tough to say, everyone is just assuming he’s going to want a wild deal, which he very well may. But thats to worry about when the time comes

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

I think most Devils fans are fine with seeing what Schmid has as a number one goalie. 

How he will do is another conversation. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Thats tough to say, everyone is just assuming he’s going to want a wild deal, which he very well may. But thats to worry about when the time comes

It’s not really an assumption though. It was reported he wants a Vasilevskiy type contract. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Right. It would also create a massive hole in net when Hellebuyck bolts for free agency in a year. At least Vanecek is signed through 2025. Gives the Devils a little more time to sort out the goaltending going forward. 

Maddog, thank you for the link (i'm 45 with 2 degrees and still forget to just google sometimes lol).  Yes, another great move by Fitz.  I saw someone post that the alleviation of Blackwood's salary might mean we can sign both Tyler and Timo.  Is this a reality?

• Like 1
  • EvilHeart 1

11 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

I don't think I agree. You shouldn't trade for a player if you know you can't afford to keep him around. I would argue that the discussion was short when it comes to CH. Maybe if both VV and Schmid struggle for us next year and we're iffy on those two goaltenders down the stretch at the deadline, but I think we'll be okay. Sometimes good players are good players and you just can't fit them in. 

If we didn't trade for Timo and we were worried about how our defense will hold up next year, then I think Hellebuyck fits. With Timo, he doesn't fit because that big contract would go to Hellebuyck. 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I dont like what our goalies did in the post season, second round no one showed up.. forget about showing up VV was already on vacation, goalie is still a concern for this team, dont have your blinders on too tight. On top of that, no one knows if VV can even replicate what he did through the regular season, hes not that type of goalie and like i said, didnt show up post season, Schmid, is still completely unknown.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

3 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

I don't think I agree. You shouldn't trade for a player if you know you can't afford to keep him around. I would argue that the discussion was short when it comes to CH. Maybe if both VV and Schmid struggle for us next year and we're iffy on those two goaltenders down the stretch at the deadline, but I think we'll be okay. Sometimes good players are good players and you just can't fit them in. 

If we didn't trade for Timo and we were worried about how our defense will hold up next year, then I think Hellebuyck fits. With Timo, he doesn't fit because that big contract would go to Hellebuyck. 

If we land CH theres a likely chance that VV is also going the other way which frees up that chunk of space

I dont like what our goalies did in the post season, second round no one showed up.. forget about showing up VV was already on vacation, goalie is still a concern for this team, dont have your blinders on too tight. On top of that, no one knows if VV can even replicate what he did through the regular season, hes not that type of goalie and like i said, didnt show up post season, Schmid, is still completely unknown.

Schmid stood on his head for the entire 1st round. He deserves a chance to build on that. 

They probably weren’t going much further no matter who was in net (elite goaltending certainly didn’t save the Rags). Most saw this team as ahead of schedule.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

I learned.  LOL.  

2 minutes ago, Capt Kirk Muller said:

I agree.  Our goalie situation is anxiety inducing.  Schmid?  IDK.  VV is not the answer.  Until that is fixed, the team will have a major weakness

Right bro, the options we currently have in net are not sure nor known and VV definitely isn’t it imo although he had a great regular season last year i dont really see that happening again. The cap is only going to rise, if something make sense to get CH go get him and stop being scared about it, lets fvcking try to win something around here

Right bro, the options we currently have in net are not sure nor known and VV definitely isn’t it imo although he had a great regular season last year i dont really see that happening again. The cap is only going to rise, if something make sense to get CH go get him and stop being scared about it, lets fvcking try to win something around here

F*ck VV's regular season.  I've watched enough NJD success to have no patience for those that don't show up in the playoffs

• Like 1