Who uses FUBO? And what are the plusses and minusses?

point

We've used Fubo for Devils games since cutting the cord in 2017. In the first couple years, about the highest praise I could give it was to say it was acceptable. But over the years, it's been getting better and better. I would say now it's as good as the MSG channels were on cable. Of course it's also gotten quite a bit more expensive, so it should be good now. I'm planning to try the MSG app when the season starts, just because of pricing, but if it doesn't work for me for any reason, I'll be going back to Fubo again. 

1 hour ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

$30/month for a msg app? fvck that. 

It's obviously a lot of money for what it is, but it's roughly a third the cost of Fubo, so if it works well I'll be all over it.

• Like 1

I had the same feeling about the MSG price then I realized I was paying for ESPN plus and a VPN to watch the games. It comes out to around $20 for me anyway. Hopefully MSG has low latency, a pain watching and talking with people watching cable and they can be a minute ahead sometimes.

I don’t really understand the whole getting rid of cable thing.. I pay $115 for internet and two boxes.. yea I have every discount they have but that’s also with the sports package ($15 option).. by the time you’re done with all the streaming services fubo whatever you’re probably well over that. 

as far as the devils msg contract ending, I hope they don’t do something stupid and end up signing a contract with some app service. Major league sports should be televised through cable, when Thursday night football was only on prime you couldn’t even watch the games in a bar.. not good for anyone. 

1 hour ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

I don’t really understand the whole getting rid of cable thing.. I pay $115 for internet and two boxes.. yea I have every discount they have but that’s also with the sports package ($15 option).. by the time you’re done with all the streaming services fubo whatever you’re probably well over that. 

as far as the devils msg contract ending, I hope they don’t do something stupid and end up signing a contract with some app service. Major league sports should be televised through cable, when Thursday night football was only on prime you couldn’t even watch the games in a bar.. not good for anyone. 

Commercials 🤮

3 hours ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Well, for one thing, outside of hockey season, with VERY few exceptions, there's no longer anything on broadcast or cable TV that I want to watch. And the few exceptions eventually come to one of the streaming services I subscribe to, anyway.

Secondly, when I cut the cord in 2017, my monthly Verizon FiOS bill was over $225. At that time, cutting the cord saved me $115/month. Six years later, with T-Mobile Home Internet, and taking advantage of deals, bundles, and/or paying annually rather than monthly, I'm subscribed to practically every major streaming service, and my price is still hovering around the same level. And during hockey season, when I have to subscribe to Fubo --or MSG, if it works this season-- I can choose to pause or drop other subscriptions to alleviate the cost. And conversely, outside of hockey season, I don't have to continue to pay for MSG when I'm not watching.

I'm not a streaming evangelist. If you want access to live, linear TV 24/7, you probably should stick with cable. I think the best you can do with YouTubeTV or whatever would be to more or less break even. I just don't happen to be interested in that (live TV).

Edited by Brick Pig
  • Like 1

We pay about $80 a month for the Hulu package which includes Live TV, Disney+, and ESPN+. I can only watch nationally televised Devils games. I've been using my buddies FUBO to stream from my tablet to my TV and it's was servicable last season, but I'm probably just going to bite the bullet and buy MSG+ for this season. I'd still be paying FAR LESS than I was for the maybe 10 channels I'd watch through Cablevision/Optimum. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't yet but I will.  I'm going to wait until we get closer to the regular season, unless they air all of the pre season games.  Then I'll sign up sooner.  I created an account I just haven't signed up yet.  The quality is going to have to be super sh!tty to get me to even think about going back to FUBO.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...