2023-2024 Around The League thread

MadDog2020

Just now, Lateralous said:

This is especially true with GMs.

My current issues with Fitz aside, I’m glad we gave someone ready for their first shot a chance at GM.   So much better than recycling the Brian Burkes of the world. 

Yeah Fitz was highly thought of and it was only a matter of time before someone was giving him a shot.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DevilMinder said:

I can't believe it, when the alert popped up I had to make sure it wasn't loading some old headline. Wow!

I don't know how I missed it between yesterday and today, but just now it came up in my Facebook feed of all things, and I had to scroll up to make sure it wasn't some random April fool's thing that I missed weeks ago. 

Truly incredible. 

I guess I get why some people are happy, but it really just highlights the delusion that some fans can have. It's also amazing how they didn't waste any time at all.  I mean, did they even interview anyone else?

• Like 2

David Quinn out as the Sharks head coach.  Not sure how anyone could've expected anyone coaching that team to win much.

Mike Grier should fire himself at this point.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

David Quinn out as the Sharks head coach.  Not sure how anyone could've expected anyone coaching that team to win much.

Yep: https://thehockeynews.com/news/san-jose-sharks-fire-coach-david-quinn-what-gm-mike-grier-said-was-behind-the-decision?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0BMQABHXrL3Hqoj0K-ZKR4MzMHljGQ8HtwAM9E_UfKw8h2qPxiQqBTHRDoSvtV8Q_aem_AWKoTXUlgsN9p5aL18K5MX3FcKjr21RfUmxo30w6RjM_shXbD7wvGXNrOYeWhrbO1Vk

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

His brother should do the same thing 🤣

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

His brother or Scott Fitzgerald’s?  You’re going to make Tom cry again.

Edited by ButlerBulldog
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

His brother or Scott Fitzgerald’s?  You’re going to make Tom cry again.

Grier’s brother Chris; he’s the GM of the Dolphins (I am also a die-hard Dolphins fan). 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Grier’s brother Chris; he’s the GM of the Dolphins (I am also a die-hard Dolphins fan). 

Gotcha’.  I forget about Chris sometimes, as I always get distracted by how weird Mike McDaniel is.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Gotcha’.  I forget about Chris sometimes, as I always get distracted by how weird Mike McDaniel is.

Love McDaniel. Great dude, great offensive football mind. 

• Like 1

Several people on the ESPN broadcast tonight talking about Brad marchand as a surefire Hall of Famer. Not sure I necessarily disagree, but if you put him in, you have to put Elias. They have nearly identical stats. Elias actually has the slight edge. 1,294 games, 1,040 pts for Marchand, 1,2040 games 1,025 pts for Elias. 50 less games and only 15 less points.  3 cups for Elias, and played in arguably a slower/less offensive era. 

46 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Several people on the ESPN broadcast tonight talking about Brad marchand as a surefire Hall of Famer. Not sure I necessarily disagree, but if you put him in, you have to put Elias. They have nearly identical stats. Elias actually has the slight edge. 1,294 games, 1,040 pts for Marchand, 1,2040 games 1,025 pts for Elias. 50 less games and only 15 less points.  3 cups for Elias, and played in arguably a slower/less offensive era. 

*2 Cups 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Several people on the ESPN broadcast tonight talking about Brad marchand as a surefire Hall of Famer. Not sure I necessarily disagree, but if you put him in, you have to put Elias. They have nearly identical stats. Elias actually has the slight edge. 1,294 games, 1,040 pts for Marchand, 1,240 games 1,025 pts for Elias. 50 less games and only 15 less points.  3 cups for Elias, and played in arguably a slower/less offensive era. 

Marchand has played in 1029 games and has scored 401 goals and notched 528 assists for 929 points.  He’s also put up an insane +292 for his career, and has put up 640 points over his last 575 games.  Marchand has played on better teams than Elias but Marchand is clearly the more productive player.

Not sure where you got Marchand’s numbers from, but they’re simply not correct (Elias did play in 1240 games and finished with 1025 points, so you’re correct there).  If you look up Marchand’s stats on Hockey Reference, you’ll see that they don’t match yours.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/m/marchbr03.html

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Marchand has played in 1029 games and has scored 401 goals and notched 528 assists for 929 points.  He’s also put up an insane +292 for his career, and has put up 640 points over his last 575 games.  Marchand has played on better teams than Elias but Marchand is clearly the more productive player.

Not sure where you got Marchand’s numbers from, but they’re simply not correct (Elias did play in 1240 games and finished with 1025 points, so you’re correct there).  If you look up Marchand’s stats on Hockey Reference, you’ll see that they don’t match yours.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/m/marchbr03.html

Heh, I was actually looking at Bergeron's stats, not Marchand lol. With that said, the numbers are actually worse. How is Marchand the more productive player, at least for his career?  Maybe he is lately, and with the +/-, but Elias has more points in about the same amount of games played... 

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Heh, I was actually looking at Bergeron's stats, not Marchand lol. With that said, the numbers are actually worse. How is Marchand the more productive player, at least for his career?  Maybe he is lately, and with the +/-, but Elias has more points in about the same amount of games played... 

Elias has played in 211 more games so far...that's more than two and a half seasons' worth, and that's a significant edge (definitely not "about the same amount of games", to be fair).  For their careers, Elias averaged 0.827 PPG, and Marchand is at 0.903 PPG.  Like I said before, for the balance of their careers Marchand's played on better teams, but over Marchand's last 575 GP alone he's averaged 1.113 PPG.  Elias does not have a stretch like that at any point in his career, so I'd have to consider Marchand the more productive player overall based on these numbers.

BUT

If you want to look at a "career within a career", Elias did put together a stretch somewhat similar to what Marchand's entire career has been.  From 1999-00 to 2013-14, Elias played in 989 games and put up 356 goals, 535 assists and 891 points...basically 30 G and 44 A per 82 GP...for this stretch he's put up 0.901 PPG.  For Marchand's career, so far he's put up 32 G and 42 A per 82 GP, with a slightly higher PPG (the aforementioned 0.903).  Like Marchand, Patrik's overall PPG average was hurt by development years; unlike Marchand, Patrik's PPG average was also hurt by decline years.  We haven't seen those full-on decline years from Marchand just yet, and of course when we do, who knows when he decides to call it quits.  He's only signed through the end of next season, and will be entering his Age 37 season when that contract expires.

It will be interesting to see how Marchand declines, to see if he can reach 1000 points, and to see if he decides to keep playing beyond 2024-25.

One last note about Marchand...he really found another gear offensively over the latter half of his career...insanely so.  In his first 6 full seasons, he averaged 0.664 PPG (16:38 TOI per game)...over the next 6 seasons, it was 1.204 PPG (19:25 avg TOI).  Over the past two seasons, it's been 0.865 PPG in 18:50 avg TOI, so maybe he is starting to slow up.  But in those six "peak" seasons, Marchand's PPG was higher than Elias' best single season (1.17, set in 2000-01).  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

I guess once guys get over 1,000 games I kind of look at them somewhat similarly, and an extra 100-200 games or 2-3ish seasons starts to seem a little statistically insignificant to me, at least in comparison to an otherwise ~20yr career. Especially when you factor that most guys' production tends to decline with age, I was thinking/assuming that the next 2yrs and 160 games for Marchand may put him at or slightly above Elias's numbers. Granted, they could very well put him far ahead of Elias too, maybe he ends up with 1200pts in 1200 games played, who knows. I just doubt it  

Edited by NJDfan1711

33 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I guess once guys get over 1,000 games I kind of look at them somewhat similarly, and an extra 100-200 games or 2-3ish seasons starts to seem a little statistically insignificant to me, at least in comparison to an otherwise ~20yr career. Especially when you factor that most guys' production tends to decline with age, I was thinking/assuming that the next 2yrs and 160 games for Marchand may put him at or slightly above Elias's numbers. Granted, they could very well put him far ahead of Elias too, maybe he ends up with 1200pts in 1200 games played, who knows. I just doubt it  

Given that Marchand has 100 less points than games played at this point in his career, he’s not finishing with anything near 1200 points in 1200 GP.

The questions that can’t be answered today:

How much longer does he plan on playing?

How much longer can he still put up offensive numbers?

Will he become one of those players who reinvents himself, once he’s no longer capable of being what he was offensively?  Guys like Andreychuk and others have done that, even though that caused some of their rate numbers to take a hit; they were still useful, but in a different way.  

https://newjerseyhockeynow.com/2024/04/25/nhl-announces-amazon-streaming-how-it-effects-new-jersey-devils-viewers-jack-hughes-timo-meier-jesper-bratt/

How it Affects Devils Viewers

If you’re a United States viewer, this won’t affect how you view your Devils content. However, to our 100,000-plus readers between Canada, Australia, and New Zealand in 2023 and 2024, we figured this might pique your interest.

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

SPOILER ALERT:

Brendan Smith isn't one of the finalists.

4 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Quinn, Josi, Makar. All great candidates.

The greatest Devils' defender to ever take the ice under the greatest coach to ever lead this team lost out to those three scrubs?

Yeah, I get it

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Given the hope and expectation, yeah, I'd say Dawson is a fair choice, but I'd say VV would also be a fair nominee.  We knew a guy like Smith sucked...unfortunately Lindy and Travis, not so much.