2023 Predictions Thread

RunninWithTheDevil

I figured with a few days until things finally kick off we might as well share some predictions for the upcoming season so we can look back once it's all said and done. 

I'm not as much into the numbers/analytics sort of thing like some of you are so I'm going to keep mine general but feel free to do whatever with yours. I'm going to go a little bold with some of mine and make it fun. 

-Devils hit 50 wins again/109 points

-Jesper Bratt finishes with 80+ points

-Dawson Mercer scores 30 goals or 60 points

-Toffoli hits 30 goals again

-Timo gets 75 points

-Holtz scores 15 goals

-Jack Hughes becomes the first 100pt Devil in history...

-...and wins the Hart

• Like 1

1.  Pens miss the playoffs and Karlsson’s point total starts with a 6 (63ish pts?).  

2.  Only 3 teams from Metro make playoffs.   

3. Schmid makes everyone who wanted to trade assets for 30 year old Hellebyuck cringe 

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 2

Holtz begins season and ends the season on the third line with 32pts.

Jack and Bratt get 100pts playing on the same line.  Timo and Nico combine for 150pts.

PWM has another underwhelming season and finishes with 38pts.  Kid line is dismantled and one or two spare parts traded.

Luke gets 60 points and beats out Bedard for the Calder.  Bedard finishes with 55pts.

Dougie gets 20+ goals, Tyler gets 25+, Mercer, Timo, Bratt and Nico get 30+ and Jack gets 50+.  If Holts and Luke can combine for another 30 goals, the Devils can get 300 goals.

By all-star break Akira takes over the number 1 spot in net.

Devils make it to the Cup Finals and play against the Avs.

Outrages!  I know!

Let’s Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!  Rangers suck!!!!!!!!!!Jack Hughes GIF by New Jersey Devils

Edited by Puckbuster

Toffoli plays well enough to earn himself a three-year extension (age be damned - Fitz will be paying for Toffoli's Age 32-34 years in such a scenario), and is also willing to be very reasonable (from an AAV standpoint) to get to stick around and be a part of this window.  He can probably get more years and AAV elsewhere, but decides to prioritize potentially winning another Cup over everything else.

With the Top 6 firmly set for the foreseeable future, Fitz decides to move on from Holtz.  It's not that Holtz has no NHL future or that the Devils are fully giving up on him...it comes down to a pure numbers game, where the Top 6 minutes for Holtz simply won't be available here anytime soon.  He'll get traded to a bad team looking to find young pieces, probably for a couple of picks.  The Devils will look to find a more ideal third-liner to play with Palat and Haula (possibly from within).  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Puckbuster said:

PWM has another underwhelming season and finishes with 38pts.  Kid line is dismantled and one or two spare parts traded.

Kid line is apparently already dismantled...Lafreniere and Chytil are skating with Panarin, and Kakko will be with Zibanejad and Kreider.

Rangers' 'Kid Line' gone as Filip Chytil moved to new line (nypost.com)

Chytil is the only one locked up for a while...Kakko and Lafreniere are really playing for their Ranger futures.  No more "Oh boy Kakko got his 40th point!" crap...time for them to produce like guys who were picked 1OA and 2OA, have some time in the league, and are being given Top 6 minutes.

• Like 1

Conference Finals or bust.

I don't know about Hughes for MVP, but it's possible if he hits like 110 points and stays healthy all year long. If he doesn't break 100 points, there is zero chance or taking the Hart from McDavid imho.

I think Buffalo is in this year, I think Eastern conference looks like mostly the same, maybe PIT and BUF make it this year and I think the NYI and the NYR or BOS could be out. I don't see FLA missing unless Bob really lays another egg this regular season and Spencer Knight isn't a solution. Even with the injury to Vasy, I don't see TB missing this year either. 

East probably looks like 

Metro
1) Devils
2) Hurricanes 
3) Rangers/Penguins
4) Rangers/Penguins

Atlantic
1) Maple Leafs
2) Lightning
3) Panthers/Sabres
4) Panthers/Sabres

West I don't know for sure, but we're probably looking at a top 3 of 

1) Oilers
2) Vegas
3) Avalanche

I think the Maples Leafs, Lightning, or Hurricanes are our biggest obstacles in April. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 10/11/2023 at 8:07 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Toffoli plays well enough to earn himself a three-year extension (age be damned - Fitz will be paying for Toffoli's Age 32-34 years in such a scenario), and is also willing to be very reasonable (from an AAV standpoint) to get to stick around and be a part of this window.  He can probably get more years and AAV elsewhere, but decides to prioritize potentially winning another Cup over everything else.

With the Top 6 firmly set for the foreseeable future, Fitz decides to move on from Holtz.  It's not that Holtz has no NHL future or that the Devils are fully giving up on him...it comes down to a pure numbers game, where the Top 6 minutes for Holtz simply won't be available here anytime soon.  He'll get traded to a bad team looking to find young pieces, probably for a couple of picks.  The Devils will look to find a more ideal third-liner to play with Palat and Haula (possibly from within).  

Guess we'll see if Fitz has fully moved on from Toffoli, or if he tries to bring him back (I hope not).

Still feels like Holtz will be dealt, as part of a package either for a goalie or a veteran forward who currently checks more boxes than Holtz does.

I wish Holtz looked better in the Top 6 than he has; if Fitz is able to trade a question mark (along with other pieces) for more of a sure thing, I'd be OK with it.  Holtz is too much of a maybe to treat him as an untouchable.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 11:25 PM, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Devils hit 50 wins again/109 points

lol not even close

-Jesper Bratt finishes with 80+ points

Currently sits at 79, I think he makes it

-Dawson Mercer scores 30 goals or 60 points

nope, 19/32

-Toffoli hits 30 goals again

He did, albeit not with us

-Timo gets 75 points

Not quite, sitting at 48

-Holtz scores 15 goals

Currently at 16

-Jack Hughes becomes the first 100pt Devil in history...

-...and wins the Hart

• Sad 1