2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

Just now, Bonginator11 said:

Surprise surprise. No one wanted Smith

Yeah that kinda sucks...feels like he'll wind up playing over Hatakka.  Boo.

• Angry 3

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah that kinda sucks...feels like he'll wind up playing over Hatakka.  Boo.

I’d hoped that with Lindy gone, Smith’s days as a Devil would be numbered.  I guess they still could be, as he’s not signed past this season, and I can’t imagine Fitz brings him back.

Just now, ButlerBulldog said:

I’d hoped that with Lindy gone, Smith’s days as a Devil would be numbered.  I guess they still could be, as he’s not signed past this season, and I can’t imagine Fitz brings him back.

Hoping that he's done after this season.  I'd rather Miller be brought back if Fitz wants a veteran depth guy.  

• Like 2

Fitz has his marching orders for the summer: bring us a real coach (this will determine Fitz’s continued future employment here, so he better nail the sh!t out of this hire), and bring us a real goalie (preferably NOT Markstrom). Make it happen Fitz. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Fitz has his marching orders for the summer: bring us a real coach (this will determine Fitz’s continued future employment here, so he better nail the sh!t out of this hire), and bring us a real goalie (preferably NOT Markstrom). Make it happen Fitz. 

He’s put himself in good position to do it.  Getting VV’s money off the books is HUGE.  

• Like 3

I think what needs to first happen is tear down CAA and build a state of the art facility in that same spot.  Then have American Dream right near it as well.  Would you prefer that location or continue they play in Newark?  Besides, devils haven’t exactly had much success since moving, except for about 2 good years.  All of favor, yay, all oppose, nay.

• Vomiting 1

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That is big. He redeemed himself a little here.

More than a little.  He has just $1.9 million tied up in goaltending next season, and that’s for one season of Jake Allen.  Fitz is completely set up to both acquire a bigger name goalie AND pay him to stay.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

I think what needs to first happen is tear down CAA and build a state of the art facility in that same spot.  Then have American Dream right near it as well.  Would you prefer that location or continue they play in Newark?  Besides, devils haven’t exactly had much success since moving, except for about 2 good years.  All of favor, yay, all oppose, nay.

Together with the Giants and Jets we can create a suck trifecta 

22 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

More than a little.  He has just $1.9 million tied up in goaltending next season, and that’s for one season of Jake Allen.  Fitz is completely set up to both acquire a bigger name goalie AND pay him to stay.

I think it’s Saros. Watching Fitz’s press conference, everything he said had me thinking Saros.

• Like 2

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

I think it’s Saros. Watching Fitz’s press conference, everything he said had me thinking Saros.

Fitz needs to be sure he gets his man.  He’s somewhat redeemed himself with these latest moves, but they won’t matter as much if he doesn’t hit a home run in free-agency this summer.

• Like 1

Just now, ButlerBulldog said:

Fitz needs to be sure he gets his man.  He’s somewhat redeemed himself with these latest moves, but they won’t matter as much if he doesn’t hit a home run in free-agency this summer.

I think the deal will be something like: Holtz, Mercer, 2025 1st, 2024 2nd for Saros with a multi-year extension in place.

• Like 1

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

I think the deal will be something like: Holtz, Mercer, 2025 1st, 2024 2nd for Saros with a multi-year extension in place.

I’d be okay with that.  I hate the idea of moving Holtz because of the dimension he adds as a right-handed shooter, but if the organization no longer wants him, better to let him blossom somewhere else.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I am less salted about Fitz having listened to the press conference. They tried for Allen earlier but he wouldn't wave his NTC by the sound of it. Still think they should have gotten a first for TT but is what it is.

If Toffoli being gone means Timo plays his natural position, then I’m okay with less than a first-round pick in return. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That’s a little too rich for a goalie on one year left.  I don’t see much more than a Mercer and a conditional 1st.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, coldply123 said:

That’s a little too rich for a goalie on one year left.  I don’t see much more than a Mercer and a conditional 1st.

The hypothetical deal would be contingent on Soros extending.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, capo said:

I'm just curious...  When was the last time a star goalie went somewhere else and continued to be a star goalie? Goalies are usually homegrown.

Bobrovsky comes to mind 

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

He’s been pretty close to that guy this year and in the playoffs last year. 

IDK, I think if he's on the Devils he's balls.  That Florida team is super legit.  I realize he's 35 now but didn't he lose the job to Knight at one point? And he wasn't great last year.  He ended up back in the starter role in the playoffs but he was shaky at times.  I think Florida is definitely going back to the SCF but it's not because of him.

• Like 1