Goalie needed

NJD67

1 hour ago, NJD67 said:

Top class goalie needed.The 2 at the moment are not up to it

Unfortunately, there aren’t a lot of options with respect to available free-agents, and making a trade that might use up the Devils’ remaining cap room doesn’t make sense, as any goalie acquired would likely be only a lateral move from Vanecek and Schmid.

13 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Unfortunately, there aren’t a lot of options with respect to available free-agents, and making a trade that might use up the Devils’ remaining cap room doesn’t make sense, as any goalie acquired would likely be only a lateral move from Vanecek and Schmid.

I think the move at this point is to start giving Daws some games, for the exact reasons you just stated.  The fans who clamor for a “better” goalie usually can’t name one or are able to state what they’re willing to give up.

And I’m not knocking those fans…at this point I’d be all for an upgrade too, but there’s not a lot of good goalies available at the moment.  I’d even explore a lateral move, but how much would Fitz want to give up for that?

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think the move at this point is to start giving Daws some games, for the exact reasons you just stated.  The fans who clamor for a “better” goalie usually can’t name one or are able to state what they’re willing to give up.

And I’m not knocking those fans…at this point I’d be all for an upgrade too, but there’s not a lot of good goalies available at the moment.  I’d even explore a lateral move at this point, but how much would Fitz want to give up for that?

I wonder if we’ll start hearing bigger names as the trade deadline approaches, but like you said, what would Fitz have to give up to get one of them?  As much as the Devils’ need to address their goaltending issues, it’s not worth trading a big piece of the team’s future (e.g., Nemec) to do it.

2 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

I wonder if we’ll start hearing bigger names as the trade deadline approaches, but like you said, what would Fitz have to give up to get one of them?  As much as the Devils’ need to address their goaltending issues, it’s not worth trading a big piece of the team’s future (e.g., Nemec) to do it.

Luke and Nemec will remain untouchable for the foreseeable future.

Also, no one who’s THAT good who would actually be available that would demand such a price tag.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Gibson is an upgrade and if Vitek heads the other way, we can make it work, but we might have to trade Mercer or Holtz. Tough call. And if we get Gibson, we can forget about re-signing Toffoli. We probably weren't going to be able to re-sign him anyway.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

He’s only signed through next season.  As far as a “what the hell?” kind of move goes, it’s not too bad.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

I honestly think the coach needs to be replaced, getting us a goalie is nice and all but how do they plan to fix the rest of the team? The whole goddamn thing is a fvcking dumpster fire right now

The coach is definitely a problem.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerrydevil said:

Gibson is an upgrade and if Vitek heads the other way, we can make it work, but we might have to trade Mercer or Holtz. Tough call. And if we get Gibson, we can forget about re-signing Toffoli. We probably weren't going to be able to re-sign him anyway.

Gibson played extremely well against the Devils, but I’m not convinced he can play to that level all the time.  That said, if the Devils were to acquire him, I’d much rather give up Mercer than Holtz because, as much as I like Dawson, I’d rather keep the player who provides steady production game-to-game than the one who’s either hot or cold.

1 hour ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

I honestly think the coach needs to be replaced, getting us a goalie is nice and all but how do they plan to fix the rest of the team? The whole goddamn thing is a fvcking dumpster fire right now

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The coach is definitely a problem.  

Lindy is definitely holding the team back from playing to its potential, but I don’t think Fitz will make a move while the Devils still have a shot at the postseason.  Besides, as others have pointed out, it would likely take the group at least twenty games to adjust to the new coach.  The Devils don’t have that kind of time if they want to make run.

They should take a day to go watch any other hockey team, and make note of how much more sense it makes to not have both defensemen behind the goal line at the same time. And vitek can take note that it's easier to stop pucks when you face the play instead of turning your back, flopping, and hoping for the best. Don't get me started on passing up the middle of the ice when pressured....

If they can't move on from lindy, at the very least get rid of the goalie coach. Idk how he still has a job, even without taking this season into consideration 

• Like 1
  • Shocking 1

5 hours ago, ButlerBulldog said:

It would not be a lateral move at all. VV and AS have been so bad that anyone slightly under league average would be a marked improvement. 

29 minutes ago, smelly said:

It would not be a lateral move at all. VV and AS have been so bad that anyone slightly under league average would be a marked improvement. 

You’re forgetting that a slightly-below-average goaltender would likely perform worse on the Devils, who also have one of the league’s worst defenses and whose forwards are often careless with the puck, leading to turnovers and odd-man rushes resulting in further scoring opportunities for opponents. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ButlerBulldog said:

You’re forgetting that a slightly-below-average goaltender would likely perform worse on the Devils, who also have one of the league’s worst defenses and whose forwards are often careless with the puck, leading to turnovers and odd-man rushes resulting in further scoring opportunities for opponents. 

But that's already baked into the hypothetical.  The relevant comparison is not how well the new addition plays with the Devils vs. how he played with the old team, but rather how he performs with the Devils as compared to VV/AS. 

And the latter is almost certain to be net positive, even if the first is not.

Edited by smelly