2/10/2024 GDT: Devils @ Canes, 7:00 pm EST, MSGSN

NJDevils1214

Just now, ButlerBulldog said:

It sounds like Calgary asked for a similar haul and was left standing at the altar, so perhaps Fitz won’t do that.  If he instead decides the season is lost, however, I wouldn’t cry if he tried to move Toffoli’s expiring contract.  Tyler’s a good player, but he doesn’t fit with the Devils long-term.

Can’t believe he didn’t bury that setup from Jack in OT. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

He’s had quite a few good chances lately off passes from Jack and Nico that he hasn’t converted.  He seems to be very streaky, which isn’t what this team needs.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

He missed a hundred chances tonight that, if it were Sharangovich, he’d be getting ripped to pieces by the fanbase.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ButlerBulldog said:

He’s had quite a few good chances lately off passes from Jack and Nico that he hasn’t converted.  He seems to be very streaky, which isn’t what this team needs.

Jack really really needs to play with wingers who can separate from their defenders with speed. Toffoli is not that guy.

And this is some streak for him. Take away the Vegas game and the meaningless goal the game before that, and he’s been a big empty zero for a long time now.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, devlman said:

Jack really really needs to play with wingers who can separate from their defenders with speed. Toffoli is not that guy.

And this is some streak for him. Take away the Vegas game and the meaningless goal the game before that, and he’s been a big empty zero for a long time now.

Yup.  Excluding the Vegas hat-trick, he’s had three goals in thirteen games since the calendar flipped to 2024.

• Like 1

Just now, Nicomo said:

I just can’t get over the fact that they had 4 PP’s and a 3-on-3 and couldn’t score a single fvcking goal. That’s not a goalie problem. 

They seemed reluctant to shoot at times, even on the PP.  Jack (7), Toffoli (6), and Nico (4) accounted for half the Devils’ shots on goal.  No one else had more than three.

5 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

They seemed reluctant to shoot at times, even on the PP.  Jack (7), Toffoli (6), and Nico (4) accounted for half the Devils’ shots on goal.  No one else had more than three.

I take back every negative thing I ever said about Dougie. His defensive lapses are totally worth what he brings with that shot. I miss him so much. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Bratt was at least generating chances as has become his standard now.

Lazar was doino his usual forcing things.

My 2024 whipping boy, Bastian, was a dud for sure

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

And see I’m the opposite. I think he’s been very good defensively (along with Marino) for a while now. He made a great play on Aho tonight. Which he seems to do to the other team’s best player at least once or twice a night lately. 

Fair, I think I see the occasional over pass or turnover and overblow it

• Like 2

Who's team is this? I asked early in the season, Nicos? Jacks? Lindys? Its a listless ship. No way we make noise this year, get a goalie in the offseason. Do not pay these prices, ie. 1st plus holtz etc. Annnd Timo constantly on his off side is criminal 

8 hours ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Tyler’s a good player, but he doesn’t fit with the Devils long-term.

Agreed.  I’ve said this a few times.   His lack of any speed at all just doesn’t mesh with the rest of the group.  He picked off a pass it OT that looked like it was going to lead to a prime chance but he can accelerate and just looked stuck in molasses.

Also, you have to think his presence is a big reason why our top paid forward is constantly forced to play his off wing.   Just trade him or let him walk this summer and sign another top 9 Left wing in cases Holtz falters in a bigger role.   

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Lateralous said:

Agreed.  I’ve said this a few times.   His lack of any speed at all just doesn’t mesh with the rest of the group.  He picked off a pass it OT that looked like it was going to lead to a prime chance but he can accelerate and just looked stuck in molasses.

Also, you have to think his presence is a big reason why our top paid forward is constantly forced to play his off wing.   Just trade him or let him walk this summer and sign another top 9 Left wing in cases Holtz falters in a bigger role.   

Wouldn’t it really be something if Timo suddenly started scoring at his San Jose clip merely because he was allowed to shift back to his natural position?  Fitz isn’t going anywhere after signing an extension, but it would be interesting to see the backlash against the Toffoli trade if it turns out his presence was the reason for Timo’s struggles.

In reality, Timo’s problems are probably multi-factorial, but it’s fascinating to consider the unforeseen implications of Toffoli’s acquisition.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Wouldn’t it really be something if Timo suddenly started scoring at his San Jose clip merely because he was allowed to shift back to his natural position?  Fitz isn’t going anywhere after signing an extension, but it would be interesting to see the backlash against the Toffoli trade if it turns out his presence was the reason for Timo’s struggles.

In reality, Timo’s problems are probably multi-factorial, but it’s fascinating to consider the unforeseen implications of Toffoli’s acquisition.

If Ruff is fine keeping our highest paid forward on his off wing just cause he wants Toffoli to fit in, then he is dumber than we all think (man I keep saying that phrase a ton about this coach, weird).

one has a guaranteed future here, the other is playing for his next contract. He cannot possibly be doing a big brain move of “I’m going to play him where he’s best to showcase him,” 3LR isn’t that smart.

the fact he maintains he is the smartest man in the locker room and not matching Jack’s speed with more speed is also damning. Sure, give Jack Haula to be “responsible” on defense. Now you double down and strap a slower Toffoli to his wing and all teams have to do is cue to Jack, force him INTO coverage when he breaks out all alone with his wingers trailing, and boom, turnover. You could see it from about midway through the second, Jack being about two strides ahead of his partners, then Jack tries to do too much and goes right into the defensive triangle. They were really only effective when they had established the zone.

but we don’t adjust when it’s painfully obvious to the armchair coach. We keep forcing the same system.

the only true adjustment into last night was they finally collectively showed some responsibility in the defensive zone. No fewer than two shots got through VV and the defenders cleared them from the crease. Rebounds were mostly cleaned up by them as well.

we also ran into a guy who channeled the ghost of Jaques Plante last night so that sure didn’t help.

sorry, I’m ranting again…

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, jagknife said:

the only true adjustment into last night was they finally collectively showed some responsibility in the defensive zone. No fewer than two shots got through VV and the defenders cleared them from the crease. Rebounds were mostly cleaned up by them as well.

I don’t understand why it took 50 games into the season for McGill to finally start putting an emphasis on this in practice. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

If Ruff is fine keeping our highest paid forward on his off wing just cause he wants Toffoli to fit in, then he is dumber than we all think (man I keep saying that phrase a ton about this coach, weird).

one has a guaranteed future here, the other is playing for his next contract. He cannot possibly be doing a big brain move of “I’m going to play him where he’s best to showcase him,” 3LR isn’t that smart.

the fact he maintains he is the smartest man in the locker room and not matching Jack’s speed with more speed is also damning. Sure, give Jack Haula to be “responsible” on defense. Now you double down and strap a slower Toffoli to his wing and all teams have to do is cue to Jack, force him INTO coverage when he breaks out all alone with his wingers trailing, and boom, turnover. You could see it from about midway through the second, Jack being about two strides ahead of his partners, then Jack tries to do too much and goes right into the defensive triangle. They were really only effective when they had established the zone.

but we don’t adjust when it’s painfully obvious to the armchair coach. We keep forcing the same system.

we also ran into a guy who channeled the ghost of Jaques Plante last night so that sure didn’t help.

sorry, I’m ranting again…

No worries.  I agree with everything you said and have a hard time grasping why the Devils’ lines aren’t structured to cater to the best players’ strengths.  Slower wings would be better off playing with a center whose speed matches theirs, while faster players would be better off playing with Jack.  To my knowledge, we haven’t seen the PB&J line since Jack’s return.  What do the rest of you think about a line of Bratt, Hughes, and Holtz?

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

I don’t understand why it took 50 games into the season for McGill to finally start putting an emphasis on this in practice. 

Because he’s not a very good coach.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

No worries.  I agree with everything you said and have a hard time grasping why the Devils’ lines aren’t structured to cater to the best players’ strengths.  Slower wings would be better off playing with a center whose speed matches theirs, while faster players would be better off playing with Jack.  To my knowledge, we haven’t seen the PB&J line since Jack’s return.  What do the rest of you think about a line of Bratt, Hughes, and Holtz?

There’s no way that fossil is going to give holtz the opportunity to play with those two. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Let them fly, take the damn leashes off and have an all-scoring-little-to-no-defense line. The chances for would skyrocket… so would against… but they have nothing to lose if we (GM/coach) are seemingly okay missing the postseason this year.

it’d never happen, though, 3LR won’t even give Holtz a full game of actual offensive-minded linemates.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Let them fly, take the damn leashes off and have an all-scoring-little-to-no-defense line. The chances for would skyrocket… so would against… but they have nothing to lose if we (GM/coach) are seemingly okay missing the postseason this year.

it’d never happen, though, 3LR won’t even give Holtz a full game of actual offensive-minded linemates.

Hey gotta ask…what’s the “3LR”?  I’m sure it’s on here somewhere but I missed the origin of this one.