GDT: The Final Game of 2023-24 - 15 April - OTLanders at Devils - 7pm

jagknife

19 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Me too, but they’re gonna get a lay down no matter who they play; Washington, Pittsburgh, Philly, Detroit- none of these teams inspire confidence. 

What kinda sucks is that it looks like whatever they needed to learn from having lost to the Devils in the first round last season, they seem to have learned it.

Hopefully the playoffs turn out to be a different beast yet again, and another year ticks off their window without a championship.

And what REALLY sucks is that Lafreniere appears to have turned the damned corner.  He finished this season with 18 points over his final 17 games, and 26 points over his final 28.  And unfortunately this time it's not mostly due to great puck luck, which is what led to most of his prior "surges" (none as pronounced as this most recent one of course).  His shooting% is up there (18.2%) but not outrageous, and he's been putting up more SOG.  Hopefully he doesn't get too much better than he is right now.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That doesn’t usually apply in a best of seven unfortunately.

In the NHL it kinda does.  Upsets aren't that uncommon...hell, Boston was taken down by the Panthers...yeah, that team turned out to be plenty damned good, but Boston put up a beastly record in 2022-23.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

In the NHL it kinda does.  Upsets aren't that uncommon...hell, Boston was taken down by the Panthers...yeah, that team turned out to be plenty damned good, but Boston put up a beastly record in 2022-23.

True, but all of those teams fighting for that last spot are weak as fvck. I just can’t see any of them beating the Rags. 

28 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

True, but all of those teams fighting for that last spot are weak as fvck. I just can’t see any of them beating the Rags. 

I'm just hoping they just drag them to 7 games and multiple ots and then Carolina finishes them off. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah, none of them instill fear, can't argue that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I hope you’re right, but I don’t see them losing in the first round. 

I can see your prediction coming true because of the weak opponent (with no star goalie to steal a game or two) they’ll likely get in the first round. 

6 minutes ago, devlman said:

I can see your prediction coming true because of the weak opponent (with no star goalie to steal a game or two) they’ll likely get in the first round. 

Yeah none of those teams has a goalie, which is their only chance. Rags will sweep or win in five.

9 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I wouldn’t worry about Green too much…that part was more about being sure not to burn a bridge, just in case…but the Devils’ HC gig is attractive enough that it’s hard to imagine that multiple candidates won’t emerge as far better options than Green.  I’d be stunned if he got the job.

As for the guys not available…that’s Captain Obvious stuff.  Everyone knows none of those guys were going to be dealt…all have multiple years left and none were really the issue this season; Luke and Simon had rookie struggles and that was to be expected, especially with both being asked to do more once Dougie was done.

And you also know that no real tough questions were coming in that interview, and at this point it’s much more about actions than words anyway.  There’s nothing Fitz can say that’s going to wash out the bad taste of 2023-24; the only way that’s going to start to happen is with moves to address team weaknesses.

If I have any beefs in particular with that interview, it’s that Fitz can’t tell me it’s playoffs or bust, yet sit on cap space and do very little to try to will the team into the playoffs.  Also, BIG difference between fighting to stay in the hunt and the other teams allowing the Devils to hang around…they closed out their season by going 2-6-1 over their final 9 games.  

100% agree, but the nobody is safe means - nobody of any real value and lots of marginal players we're willing to deal to upgrade.  Our junk for you're better pieces! When the reality in these instances your almost always looking at junk for crap. We'll see how it plays out.

I just don't think there was any value in the statement nobody is safe but the obvious 6-7.

4 minutes ago, titans04 said:

100% agree, but the nobody is safe means - nobody of any real value and lots of marginal players we're willing to deal to upgrade.  Our junk for you're better pieces! When the reality in these instances your almost always looking at junk for crap. We'll see how it plays out.

Mercer is junk? Holtz? Casey? I disagree. Those are the assets that would be moving in meaningful deals.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Mercer is junk? Holtz? Casey? I disagree. Those are the assets that would be moving in meaningful deals.

Exactly this.  There’s more depth here than some realize.  They will also have a Top 10 pick in this year’s draft.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Mercer is a RFA coming off a 33 pt in 82 games -26 (who apparently based on a prior post was told if he wants a new deal here it's going to based of this past season).  Holtz 34 points in 110 games,  Casey 5'9" 162 pound kid who hasn't played a game yet. The original comment was unless your so and so don't leave any equipment in NJ. Not sure his equipment was even here, was it. Mercer the best of the 3 imo.

Palat, Haula, Lazar, Foote, Marino, Siegenthaler, Bahl, Bastian, Allen. 

I don't think Allen at 34  is the answer as a guy who can be counted on as anything but a distant second in a 1A, 1B scenario. 

I don't want to see them stink up the ice again next year, and it would be great to actually win that 2nd playoff round in the last what decade next year.  So yeah, we all want the same thing. I'll say the same thing I said when it came to Ruff, the issue is way bigger than the coach and Fitz performance or lack of this year leads me to have little faith in him at this point. So until they prove otherwise it will remain status quo.  There's only so much gratification to be had with beating the rangers last year.

But there's always next year when things could be different, I've been hearing and saying the same thing for years.

Edited by titans04

1 hour ago, titans04 said:

Mercer is a RFA coming off a 33 pt in 82 games -26 (who apparently based on a prior post was told if he wants a new deal here it's going to based of this past season).  Holtz 34 points in 110 games,  Casey 5'9" 162 pound kid who hasn't played a game yet.

This is just choosing to put a negative spin on it.

You could also say that Mercer was a 20 goal scorer even in a down season. Holtz scored 16 goals despite being buried on the 4th line most of the year. And Casey was just days ago named First Team All-American. 

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Nicomo said:

You could also say that Mercer was a 20 goal scorer even in a down season. Holtz scored 16 goals despite being buried on the 4th line most of the year. And Casey was just days ago named First Team All-American. 

Obviously you're welcome to your opinion and odds are after all the dead seaons you will eventually,  well maybe anyway be right and we maybe a real contender. The track  record speaks for itself and Fitz letting Ruff hang around and not having a goalie are real. Sure it's a negative that we've won a single round in ~ 10 years.  For those that  want to continue to have more patience that's fantastic but it doesn't make you a better fan.  You want to watch seasons fly by while kids develop, great.  We've only done that now for years, 7 if you want to go back to Bratt and Nico.

I also think you're choosing to ignore the other part,  the list of pieces, the ones not on the "they can leave their stuff in NJ".  I bet most of them are back. that's a good thing? 

Nobody that takes the time and comes here wants to see them fail. If you're banking on the glass is half full, great.  I don't think Fitz deserves the benefit of the doubt. I think the organization is tone def at best or don't see it as anything more than a business with the 9% increase in ST prices.  Honestly those people are the real fans to burn their money year after year.

I'd love crow hot or cold.  In the meantime it's the last thing I need to worry about.

18 hours ago, Nicomo said:

This is pretty on brand for Titans04.

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

This is pretty on brand for Titans04.

I mean, it's hard to blame him, besides 18 with the 5 game playoff appearance and last year when they finally won a playoff round for the first time since 2012 it's been dire around here. 

We can all look forward to the future as much as want but until the results are there I don't blame anyone for being pessimistic about this team. It's been rough since 2012, missing the playoffs all but 2x in the past 12 seasons will do that to most people. 

My expectations have absolutely been lowered for next season because this one really fooled me and I absolutely had a miserable time this season. Felt like an absolute chore to watch this team. 

• Like 2