Niedermayer to Ducks (CONFIRMED)

Weekes Head

Giguere is still a top 10 goaltender.  Equipment doesn't make you square to every shot like he was in the 03 playoffs.

Aside from Fedorov, they have Sykora, Leclerc, Niedermayer, and Rucchin.  Not to mention Joffrey Lupul who I'm sure is ready for a big breakout season.  The Ducks also have the trade pieces if they wish to say, cut Sykora and deal a forward prospect for a better player with lower salary.

The Ducks have as good a shot as any August 'contender'.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

tri is right. I think the ducks would have made the playoffs last year if it wasn't for HUGE injuries to Carney, leclerc and niedermayer, which took away all their grit. Niedermayer was out for 50 games and leclrc all but 10.

Lupul is outstanding. He's my pick for 30 goal break out guy of the year. Last year in the AHL he started strong, then got a concussion, came back and DOMINATED viciously. I was so scared of him in the playoffs. He was going at a goal a game for the last 15 or so games. He went into the playoffs and he wasn't as dominant, but still remarkable...until he ran into kari lehtonen :D

And federov, is a top 5 center still. People forget that he still got 36 goals last year, and that is considered WEAK for him. He can do everything unlike all except maybe 2 or 3 centers in the league. He played defense for a half or a quarter of a season one year didn't he? with the wings?

Giguere's performance last year was mostly one of lost confidence. He didn't start great with people constantly rifling it over his blocker high shoulder. The ducks were blasted with injuries and lost a lot of grit and big forwards would just skate their way to the net with nobody to stop them. Giguere could have played better, but in some games you could tell his confidence was shot.

But there was one game when the ducks won 2-1 against vancouver, that was the game i believe henrik had the beauty of a coast to coast butter and toast, a top 5 goal of the year, but the ducks still won, thanks to just nigh perfect goaltending, and the team looked perfect, similar to what it looked like the previous year in the playoffs...of course they went down that horrible track again and giguere really didn't have a great year, but he still has top 10 goaltender potential.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't jump the gun and call the Ducks a *Cup contending* team just yet. Burke managed to spend 32 million on 12 players according to TSN. They are going to have to fill up the rest of the roster will some pretty low cost pieces. They have great talent up top but I can

Edited by RandomguyX

Oh my...what a thread.....I don't care if I get warned but a good amount of you are wimps and annoying as hell. I don't care what you think of New Jersey's current situation, there is no need to cry like you chunked your underwear. This defense is better now then it was for the 2004 playoffs....I don't have 1 doubt in my mind. Robinson loves Malahkov and not only was he Philly's best defensmen in the playoffs in 2004 but he was Russia's best defensmen at the World Cup.

McGillis ia an underated but solid pickup. He is very Phyiscal, solid defensivly and has some offense. He is a poor mans Adam Foote IMO.

Jason, it sucks losing Niedermayer, but mostly it sucks 'cuz we got nothing in return for a Norris winner. If there had been a trade, the reactions would've been different IMO

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can't control a player for his career, that is the NHL in the 60's. We don't want that. The Devils got alot out of Niedermayer and he moved on....so should the Devils. We also get an early 2nd for conpensation in a deep strong draft next year.

Oh my...what a thread.....I don't care if I get warned but a good amount of you are wimps and annoying as hell. I don't care what you think of New Jersey's current situation, there is no need to cry like you chunked your underwear. This defense is better now then it was for the 2004 playoffs....I don't have 1 doubt in my mind. Robinson loves Malahkov and not only was he Philly's best defensmen in the playoffs in 2004 but he was Russia's best defensmen at the World Cup.

McGillis ia an underated but solid pickup. He is very Phyiscal, solid defensivly and has some offense. He is a poor mans Adam Foote IMO.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

By this logic, the Devils should trade Patrik Elias for 3 12 goal scorers.

Malakhov has been brutal in the NHL for the Rangers, he takes lazy penalties and he tends to turn the puck over too often, and he's physical when he feels like it. I, unlike some here, trust Malakhov in big games. Unfortunately, now all 82 games are big games, and I don't trust him to show up for all of them. 3.6 million for him?! He will have to play like he did for Montreal to be worth that kind of money.

McGillis is a 4. He's a poor man's Adam Foote like Mariusz Czerkawski is a poor man's Patrik Elias. I think he's decent, but 2.2 for him a little steep. He will make bad decisions.

The Devils have 6 #3 defensemen. With most teams able to ice a solid top line, this won't be enough to stop the best.

Maybe Malacoughupthepuck played like he did for the Rags, because, well, it was the Rags. Mediocroty & apathy are catchy you know? Why should he excel when no one else was even trying to? One man ain't gonna win the game for ya every time- or even most of the time.

I'll trust Lou & Larry and hope they can ignite that spark again.

You can't control a player for his career, that is the NHL in the 60's. We don't want that. The Devils got alot out of Niedermayer and he moved on....so should the Devils. We also get an early 2nd for conpensation in a deep strong draft next year.

I hate to say it, but I agree with Jason. Nieds put in his time, he earned the right to leave. Yeah, it would've been nice if he stayed, but an opportunity like this doesn't come along very often in one's career, so you can't really blame him for taking it.

The only issue I have is with the draft pick. I didn't think they did that for UFAs, did they? And even if that was the case in the past, did it carry over to the new CBA?

I hate to say it, but I agree with Jason. Nieds put in his time, he earned the right to leave. Yeah, it would've been nice if he stayed, but an opportunity like this doesn't come along very often in one's career, so you can't really blame him for taking it.

The only issue I have is with the draft pick. I didn't think they did that for UFAs, did they? And even if that was the case in the past, did it carry over to the new CBA?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agree with the first sentiment.

Compensatory picks were handed out for having your UFAs signed in the previous CBA. For example, Petr Vrana was selected with a compensatory pick from the Rangers for signing Bobby Holik. The compensatory pick was only given out if your club did not sign any serious UFAs either.

I doubt that that provision about UFAs was carried over into the new CBA. With so many signings, every team would have every other team's draft picks. The Devils would not get one for Niedermayer - they signed 6 million worth of free agents today.

Edited by Triumph

This defense is better now then it was for the 2004 playoffs

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you have a point here, although I have to qualify my agreement with you by saying that there's no replacing a Norris winner.

Hale and Martin are going to be better. Maybe Raf bounces back from what I saw as a sub-par year. I've always liked White, and Matvichuk is a solid citizen. That's not even mentioning Malakhov, who's going to be extremely valuable should either Raf or Martin go down at some point. (McGills is nice, but on this team he's on the third pairing if that. And he sure as hell isn't Adam Foote -- too few PIM :D )

But this is a team with B-level defensemen. Even if Scotty comes back, he's a 'B' player now. Neidermayer was an 'A+', and there's no replacing that. If Stevens doesn't come back, who do you look to for leadership in this group? Matvichuk, in his first season with the team? Raffy? White?

<JESTER>

Maybe Malacoughupthepuck played like he did for the Rags, because, well, it was the Rags.  Mediocroty & apathy are catchy you know?  Why should he excel when no one else was even trying to?  One man ain't gonna win the game for ya every time- or even most of the time.

I'll trust Lou & Larry and hope they can ignite that spark again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with this. The rags bring out the worst in a player.

This defense is better now then it was for the 2004 playoffs

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you have a point here, although I have to qualify my agreement with you by saying that there's no replacing a Norris winner.

Hale and Martin are going to be better. Maybe Raf bounces back from what I saw as a sub-par year. I've always liked White, and Matvichuk is a solid citizen. That's not even mentioning Malakhov, who's going to be extremely valuable should either Raf or Martin go down at some point. (McGills is nice, but on this team he's on the third pairing if that. And he sure as hell isn't Adam Foote -- too few PIM :D )

But this is a team with B-level defensemen. Even if Scotty comes back, he's a 'B' player now. Neidermayer was an 'A+', and there's no replacing that. If Stevens doesn't come back, who do you look to for leadership in this group? Matvichuk, in his first season with the team? Raffy? White?

<JESTER>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I couldn't have said it any better Jester. I just don't feel confident in this group- the leadership and continuity is not there. I mean- it's not a BAD defense core- but it isn't what we Devils fans are used to. For the first time in years, I don't feel we're a Cup contender. Lou can say he loves this group, but what the hell else is he gonna say? That's he's as irate as us that Nieds left and he had to settle for what was left? Even if Stevens comes back, it's still questionable. I'd obviously feel a lot better about the leadership aspect if Scotty came back, but he's a giant ? too. I just hope Lou has more up his sleeve.

Regardless of whether we're contenders or not this year, we still have an exceptionally talented YOUNG defensive corps, with Martin, Hale, White and Rafalski.

There's no reason to get upset, even if we do have a losing season, or even two or three losing seasons. Every winning team has to rebuild eventually, and the Devils are no different. Where we have an advantage over past dynasties, however, is in our front office. I have complete faith that the Devils will return to form in a remarkably short period of time, considering.

That said, I think many of you are underrating our current defense. New Jersey is known as a place where defense flourishes, and the three major defensive signings - Matvichuk, McGillis and Malakhov - are all competent players. While we no longer have a superstar in the front pairing, we have hard working, solid defensemen throughout.