Game Thread: Devils vs Rangers-10/8

Derek21

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I am very pleased with what I saw tonight! I saw a team who played inspired and deserved a much better fate. Say two points. But sometimes, that's how it goes.

Brodeur saved you guys big time tonight. It also would have been nice if our guys stopped shooting pucks into him :lol:. Rucinsky in OT but his angle was tough.

I no longer have any gripes with the Rangers after this. Renney benched Poti and Lundmark and played Kondratiev and Prucha and Lundqvist played! Well, how about that? A coach who isn't afraid to sit guys and give other players shots.

Prucha once again was good. He took a lot of hits from the Devs but kept coming. Hit a post late that would have won it.

In any event, I have no gripes with the three NJ goals. Nice redirection by Kozlov off a bad turnover. PP goal by Mogilny which Lundy had but didn't realize it. Btw...how did Rafalski get an assist on that? Didn't Martin shoot it?

And the OT winner Rafalski was wide open. Just a result of four-on-four. The Rangers certainly had their chances to win this outright in regulation but couldn't break through for that two-goal lead on a couple of key power plays, largely in part to Brodeur and your PK.

Other thing. The no goal was a good call. Brylin and Tyutin collided and Brylin went into Lundqvist giving him no chance of recovering. 'Incidental contact' rule.

So, who were the best players?

Devils- Parise, Kozlov, Gionta, Rafalski, Martin, Madden, Pandolfo, Langenbrunner and of course Brodeur

Rangers- Rucinsky, Nylander, Ward, Tyutin, Rozsival, Betts, Ortmeyer, Prucha and Lundqvist

Good game :)!

Okay just got back from the game, game thoughts:

First of all I was surprised at first that there were even fewer people at this game than at Opening Night, especially with no Yankee game. But having to deal with the monsoon conditions all day I can't say I blame the 1500 or whatever that didn't show up :P

As for the game, it looked eerily like 2002 for a couple periods. I love Larry but I was starting to pine for Burnsie a little during those first couple periods cause he wouldn't have stood for that garbage two straight games. Evidently Larry put his foot down though cause the third period and the OT a different team showed up. Even though it's only Game 3 they had to have this game.

Agree that Langs has been dissapointing so far. I'm not even sure Raf has been as smooth as his point total suggests so far, but hopefully that goal will really get him going :)

Yeah we got hosed by the refs again, what else is new. When do we EVER get breaks against the Rangers? It is weird how many goalcalls are going against us though :rolleyes:

Even though Marty had a silly puckhandling error on the first goal, overall he saved our asses once again :hail:

Ironic that we've been on the other end of this game a bunch of times (dominate for most of the game and lose cause of lousy shooting), it was good to be on the long end of it for once :P

Edited by Hasan4978

For anyone who was at the game.  I thought "musical chairs" was the lamest intermission "entertainment" since "Quick Change"    :noclue:  I'd rather see the Zambonis come out 5 minutes earlier than have to endure that again.    :rant:

I made a similiar remark to my wife tonight.

It was embarrassing to do that in front of Ramger$ fans.

We so need a new arena..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the power went out in rutherford.. not just the arena...

but yes we need a new arena since there was water coming in thru the roof on the ice the whole game.. sometimes a few drops, sometimes more

Wow some awful calls out there tonight...

Not sure if the tv showed it but it was sorta funny when the game was halted and Langenbrunner just sat in the penalty box with this look... he was ticked off..!!! he got beaten a few times with no calls only to get a call on him..

but ya he looked like crap otherwise.

i miss score-o

Ya, on the last Langs penalty he was high sticked in the offensive zone and then called for hooking a guy in the defensive zone. He actually didn't know it was called on him and was checking to see if he was bleeding when the ref told him to get to the box, he was pissed big time.

It might be time to start juggling the lines a little, even strength Gomez/Almo/Brylin has done basically done nothing but turn the puck over and create chances for the other team. The one time even strength that I noticed Almo and Gomez do anything was when Kozlov was on their wing creating extra space for them.

I haven't minded many of the penalties called on the Devils this season but I haven't seen the same level of strictness on the other teams. Nothing is more frustrating than officiating that isn't even.

McGillis was unimpressive again unfortuneatly.

The Devils aren't playing aggressive enough to the puck in the new NHL. They are still playing a passive form of defense, but it is so easy for players to create speed through the neutral zone that teams break into the zone way too easy. Once the other teams get into the zone the Devils sit back still waiting for the other team to make a mistake, but if that mistake doesn't come then the other team gets a good chance on goal, before, when teams didn't get into the zone so easily that only led to a few chances each game, now it leads to many more chances as teams gain the zone so much more often.

Marshall played like garbage IMO. Rheamue and him just aren't good enough skaters to hack it. Marshall being on the PP is a joke because with all the extra offensive zone room players are able to dart into open passing lanes to create offense while Marshall just basically stands around. he floats around the very high slot and his shot is nowhere near good enough to beat a goalie from out there so he is just being useless.

Devils, in all 3 games, have had a very hard time passing accurately and receiving passes. They need to pull out the mighty ducks drill with the raw eggs to work on not taking passes so stiff. Hopefully that is just a function of the few pre-season games, but if thats the case then the 4 days off here won't help much.

Basically, the only Devil who showed up for the whole game was Marty. The rest of the team only showed up from the 3rd period on, and the occasional penalty kill before that.

But is was kind of like deja vu the other way...how many times in the past haves NJ dominated a game for a few periods, way outshot the other team, but lost?

Marty saved their collective asses.

Saw a post-game interview with Almo where he basically said everyone but Marty played like sh!t and they were lucky to win. But they will take the 2 points and move on.

Derek, there was nothing "incidental" about the contact on the Devils no-goal. The Ranger defender dove to stop Brylin, sending the Devil forward sprawling into Lundqvist. That's either a goal or a penalty, they should not be rewarded for it.

Who was calling the game on MSG? He was awful. He could not contain his disappointment after Kozlov scored the first goal letting out an "awww" after the play happened. I guess Davidson talked to him about it because he was better afterwards but that was unprofessional.

Jamie Langenbrunner is playing his way off this team. I don't know if it's talent, stubborness, stupidity or a dangerous combination but he just can't adjust.

Marshall should not be on the power play, in fact, Marshall should probably not even be on this team.

I am glad we have a few days off to practice and work on things after two lackluster games.

the real thing I want answered is how hung over is RD today after last night ?? B )

as for the game itself I am kinda grateful the Rangers are as BAD as they are, otherwise this would have been a 6-0 ass-beating :P

*still re-watching it now*

Basically, the only Devil who showed up for the whole game was Marty.  The rest of the team only showed up from the 3rd period on, and the occasional penalty kill before that.

Marty and Gionta - he was flying all night. Put him with Gomez/Mogilny and you've got a pretty exciting line.

-Dan

Derek, there was nothing "incidental" about the contact on the Devils no-goal. The Ranger defender dove to stop Brylin, sending the Devil forward sprawling into Lundqvist. That's either a goal or a penalty, they should not be rewarded for it.

This sounds familiar. Was it a replay perhaps? Last night? Flyers reaping the reward?

is anyone else having flashbacks to those larry robinson coached teams early this century that would frequently go out there and play sloppy uninspired hockey for weeks at a time?

or where they simply called in games after a questionable goal call (game 6 of the 2001 finals comes to mind)

yeah that is distressing... makes me miss Burnsie taking the paint of the walls!!

If Crasher hadn't been at the game the Devils would have scored more.

Yeah THAT explains the all time greatest home record in NHL Playoff History in 2003 when I was there for every game :P:rolleyes:

that bit was cute with the River Rats cause they sucked anyway.. it's less funny since I've been going to Devils games since 1993... I'd actually say me going to games was the catalyst for this team's success!!!

(if you wanna get absurd, let's get absurd ;) )

Who was calling the game on MSG? He was awful. He could not contain his disappointment after Kozlov scored the first goal letting out an "awww" after the play happened. I guess Davidson talked to him about it because he was better afterwards but that was unprofessional.

Jamie Langenbrunner is playing his way off this team. I don't know if it's talent, stubborness, stupidity or a dangerous combination but he just can't adjust.

Marshall should not be on the power play, in fact, Marshall should probably not even be on this team.

I am glad we have a few days off to practice and work on things after two lackluster games.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know, that's three games, three calls on Devils players shoved or crossed checked into a goalie, and not one did they get correct.

1. Wednesday, Parise is shoved into the Pens goalie by a Pen, Zach gets sent off for goalie interference.

2. Friday, Gagne cross-checks Chuckie into Marty and, whereever the damned puck was, it didn't amtter, because Gagne's butt shouls have been heading for the box at that point and the play should have been dead. Also, on Friday, Sim goes across the goal crease and literally rips the mask off of Marty. Nothing called except a stoppage in play.

3. Last night, the Ranger defender send Brylin into Lundquist and NJ loses a goal because of it.

I'm confused. Have the officials decided the only time contact with the goalie is forbidden in a game that NJ is involved in is when a NJ player is sent into the OPPOSING goalie - and no matter how they got there, blame NJ? Because I actually saw it called correctly when I tuned into the Isles game for a little while last night. The Isles had a goal called back because one of them collided with the goalie when he was in the crease and he did it all on his own. I'm beginning to think Larry isn't whining. Something is seriously wrong, at least where play around the goalie is concerned when NJ is playing.

NJ has played badly over the last two games. When Petey says they had two lackluster games, if you think about it, since they started playing poorly about halfway through the Flyers game, and didn't start coming out of it until the 3rd period last night, that's not even 3 good periods in 2 games. No excuse for it, and they have to do something - they need to take the next few days to figure it out. Almo was absolutely right in his interview about the game. BUT...something isn't right regarding the balance in calls around the net. Not at all.

Petey - the play-by-play announcer on MSG was Mike Crispino, I think. I was watching FSNY2 but tuned in for a few minutes to see how they were covering it and recognized the voice. He used to do sports on the NBC affiliate in Hartford when he was just starting out so I kind of grew up with him.

So after seeing the regular season in action here is a thought:

I would have bet money that the small skilled players would benefit the most from the new rule changes but it is really the large players who like to control the puck a lot who are benefiting the most. Once they get the puck it is almost impossible to take it away until they decide to pass, shoot, or drive the net. They can sit and stickhandle forever though and use their body to keep the defenders off of them. I don't think thats a bad thing, I was just surprised that those players are getting the most use of the new rules.

In any event, I have no gripes with the three NJ goals. Nice redirection by Kozlov off a bad turnover. PP goal by Mogilny which Lundy had but didn't realize it. Btw...how did Rafalski get an assist on that? Didn't Martin shoot it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rafaski passed to Gomez along the boards who sent it to Almo in the slot (as he crept down from the point). Almo shot it and Martin was to Lundqvist 's right and almost batted it in, but it trickled over the line prior.

here's how it happened (haven't done this level of self-promotion in a bit :P)

(2 - 2) Mogilny[2-pp] (Gomez, Rafalski) {2:14}

Larry Robinson starts making small but good adjustments on the lines now... this time it's Marshall on the power play unit... hey you can't knock him down and he will get in the goalie's line of sight.. I hear that's good to do! Martin who had cut in on the left wing side (another adjustment Larry makes... the left D cuts up the left faceoff circle during the PP all period)... points to Rafalski across to Gomez on the right... he looks... Alex cuts to the slot ... MARSHALL IN FRONT OF THE GOALIE (take that Marshall hata's :P)... gives the goalie problems in front of the net.. Lundqvist stops it but ... can't.. hold... on... and he simply sh!ts that puck through the legs as Martin charged the net sniffing rebound and Kasparitis kinda helps it over the line too.. awww!!!

:whistling: