Nieuwendyk Will Be Resigned!

CaptainScotty

Somehow I have the feeling that Lou is going to keep Joe N., and he isnt going to be traded anytime soon (this season). His trade value is spectacularly low, considering what we gave up for him. He has veteran leadership, is a playoff man (supposedly, dont know if its still in him), plus coaches love him.

I think Lou understands that the team growing mighty thin up top, unless someone is about to trade a #1 or #2 draft pick (and Conte has something eyed up), I highly doubt Nieuwy walks. In fact, he'll be resigned to fill a center roster position, Lou will use this season to lowball him, and Joe might take it to stay put to retirement.

IMO, maybe Tver will be traded, maybe Bicek, Danton is on his way out too, but I suspect only draft picks in return. Berglund is staying, the kid looks like a keeper, he'll mature into a good player. Im beginning to think that Lou may run with this roster into the playoffs, which isnt a bad thing since they are a good team. But I really think that the missing ingredient isnt there on this team, Patrik cant win the cup on his own (not the way he is playing this year).

I dont know, I see a gritty ECF versus the Sens in the future, and we may come up short.

Mighty thin up top? There's only a couple guys that deserve to be on the fourth line (Stevenson, McKenzie), the rest of your forwards are really talented guys, they just cant put the puck in the net. If anything, the guy Lou should be looking to trade is Gomez, he's young and he works hard, but he could really bring back soemthing nice being packaged with someone else.

Nierwy is worth nothing in a trade, Danton is worth slightly more but as a package it gets nothing to fix the present devils problem being the 5th worst scoring team in the NHL.

Nieder's contract is up after this season and he is a UFA (I Think), Lou won't pay him what he is worth, and arbitration isn't the answer for Nieder. If he isn't a UFA then a holdout isn't the answer for the Devils or Nieder. so he has to be the main part of any trade package to improve this team, assuming LOU wants to improve this team, can improve this team (money).

We'll have to wait and see, in the meantime enjoy the pain of frustration.

The NJ Devils Fans know the story, that's why they don't go to the games in NJ or they leave before the end of the game even if tied or down by one. Also why they don't support the team while there instead boo or remain quiet, waiting for failure in scoring.

Yes Friesen needs to go. Don't get me started on the waste Neuwy.

Patience is running thin on these 2. Friesen was supposed to come in and score immediately. Neuwy was supposed to come in and get 60-70 pts. And they can't use this "im adapting to this system" junk. Neuwy's been here for 9 months, if you havent adapted by then, you arent worth being here. Friesen is a ghost. Friesen is #3 on the list, behind Jimbo and Neuwy.

JOMI if Friesen is #1, where does Nieury & Danton stand? How about Tver?

All together as a package they couldn't bring a #1 draft choice. Want to add Dano and Abelin, still don't get a #1 draft choice. Want to add Pando, still no #!. How about adding Stevenson, no that doesn't do it. There is a message here!

berglund has to play on a score line, not with mckenzie and stevenson. he could probably take friesen's spot if he were to be moved.

I don't think that's it.

He looks lost out there.

He sort of came out OK today... prob. cause he sat the previous day.

But then... it's hard to explain... except to say he doesn't make good choices.

He needs massive amounts of coaching. Of course, that's what coaches are there for, but when you're striving to work on existing problems, you don't have time for pet projects. And so that's why he's been sitting, I guess.

I fear this is turning into a Salomonsson-like situation. Not comparing the players... cause I think Salo's useless, just saying that's the way it's turning.

Uhh, I don't think Berglund is looking all that hot.

I'd CERTAINLY rather have Friesen out there. He had a really good game Friday. Yes, he didn't have a great game tonight, but most everyone didn't.

Well he has scored atleast a goal in the past like 10 games. Friesen hasn't. (thats not a stat, just threw the #10 in there)

It's becoming aparent that the Sykora trade was a loss for the Devils. I agree that he had to be traded, but I think it's quite clear that we could've gotten a better deal then the two bums we got back.

We could've taken tvo and freisen and sent them to colorado for drury/skoula.

wouldve worked out much better

I don't get how you can say Friesen is a waste of space on the Devils of this season.

He is 5th in goals and 6th in points which puts him ahead of a lot of Devils.

Comparing Friesen to, well I'll just pick a random player, Brian Gionta and I'd say Friesen is tied in goals, has more assists, has a better plus/minus, a better shooting %, and has a more physical presence on the ice.

But those are just numbers, they can't mean anything, oh wait, games are decided by those numbers on the scoreboard.

-Scott

Sykora trade

Sykora 12 goals (8 PP Goals) Total points 22

Friesen 7 goals (2 PP Goals) TP 16

Tver 4 goals (1 PP Goal) TP 11

That looks like a wash two guys for one, but Sykora's loss effects Elias that where it hurts, Elias's production is down due to loss of Sykora.

I don't agree that the Devils had to trade Sykora, it was the easy thing to do, and it fits Lou's style and some players had negative feelings about Sykora, but then they haven't stepped up after he has gone so why trade him. Better team with him with problem than without him.

Today couldn't make trade for Drury/Skoula probably couldn't have made it before either, the hype on these two Tver and Friesen was from Devils front office, the previous stats didn't say they were great or average. It was a deal/trade that's gone bad if improvement on the team was expected. Lately Lou's hasn't had success in trades.

I really doubt Niewy will be signed. Lou can sign sign an Cassels type for half the $$$. Joe's not the man he used to be. Unless he shows something in the playoffs, if we get there, he wont be here for even half the $$$.

Vince

sundstrom:

It's becoming aparent that the Sykora trade was a loss for the Devils. I agree that he had to be traded, but I think it's quite clear that we could've gotten a better deal then the two bums we got back.

Friesen is one thing, he has not played well but how can you say TiVo's a bum? He was scoring though not maybe as much as he has he was starting to score more, he was playing fine before he started having fatigue and illness problems (god only knows what's wrong with him at this point).

devils731:

don't get how you can say Friesen is a waste of space on the Devils of this season.

He is 5th in goals and 6th in points which puts him ahead of a lot of Devils.

Gak! If Waldo is 5th in goals then the scoring's even worse off than I thought :evilcry:

But you can't compare him to the rest of the team and say he's doing well. We didn't expect around 25 goals from most of the other players on the team except for Elias and Niewy and as I said last night, they are not doing the job either. He's on pace for about 14 goals this year. For a guy that was supposed to score around 25, that is not doing the job. If PANDO was on pace for 14, I'd be throwing him a party :lol: It's a little different for a guy like Friesen though, it has to be. We need him to score more. And not only is he not scoring, he isn't doing anything to help the team. At least Niewy, for all of his problems IS doing all of the other things that can help a team. What does Friesen bring other than goalscoring, really? And he's not scoring now.

Comparing Friesen to, well I'll just pick a random player, Brian Gionta and I'd say Friesen is tied in goals, has more assists, has a better plus/minus, a better shooting %, and has a more physical presence on the ice.

Eh, I'd take Gionta over Friesen any day of the week. Bigger doesn't mean more physical. Gionta's been far more physical. Not to mention Gionta's still a rookie practically while Friesen's in like his seventh year and has been going downhill three years running.

Also, something to take into consideration: Let's not forget Niewy was VERY disappointed to be leaving Dallas. He really likes it there. Also, his wife gave birth recently (their 1st????). I'm really not making excuses for the guy, just giving some reasons why I'm giving Niewy a little slack.

Whereas Waldo was THRILLED to be traded out of Anaheim. He came into this camp with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove. He was so looking forward to hooking up with Gomez, cos he thought that would resurrect his career.

Some resurrection.

This team as is, when skating hard the whole game, can still win any game against any team. Will it be enough to win multiple series' in the playoffs? I personally think Lou will pretty much stand pat this year, maybe a minor move. And if there isn't any moves out there that will significantly improve the team than he should. In Lou We Trust

:evil:

I do trust Lou, ringtwins. I believe he will try to do everything in his power to improve this team's offense.

But in the meantime, I am all over Friesen and Nieuwendyk for their bad performances during the first half of the year, and I am all over Burns for some of these inane line combinations. It's like he's pulling the handle on a slot machine and going with the result.

Needless to say, Burnsie hasn't hit a jackpot yet.

Isn't anyone seeing Friesen move and check? I see him working hard. He is out there battling. He's finishing checks on the forecheck and the backcheck.

On Friday he was one of the BEST Devils on the ice... and there was a lot of them.

Seriously, I can't believe no one sees this.

He has completely bought into the Devils' system, which is something I wasn't sure he would do.

Obviously there is a problem with scoring... but everyone is having a problem with scoring. I can't just point Friesen out as the guinea pig.

I just think bringing another new player into the line-up now, when we already have alot of new faces, short of Bertuzzi, Kovalev, etc...isn't the answer. Not to mention the lack of trade bait. I do agree that Gomez with those two traffic cones on the fourth line is laughable only it makes me wanna cry <_