Brodeur listed day to day: MRI reports no damage

Weekes Head

According to TSN.ca:

Devils Brodeur listed as day-to-day

TSN.ca Staff

10/27/2005 12:45:44 PM

Goaltender Martin Brodeur's injury status with the New Jersey Devils has been listed as day-to-day, as an MRI showed that there was no damage after he twisted his knee in Wednesday night's game against the Tampa Bay Lightning.

While facing a barrage of shots in the third period, Brodeur caught his right leg on the post and fell to the ice.

"I was concerned enough to leave the game," Brodeur said after the game. "The doctor looked at it after the game and he thought it didn't look too bad, but we'll see what happens.

"My skate got caught and I twisted it. I heard it twist and I couldn't get up. All my body weight fell on it. I had to be really hurt to leave the game. We were still in the game at that point."

Scott Clemmensen, who replaced Brodeur and surrendered Tampa's last two goals in a 6-3 loss, will start for the Devils on Friday when they hist the Buffalo Sabres.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=141097&hubname=nhl

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Listed day to day isn't great news. Glad that there's no damage. I think we'll see him in against Boston and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't bother bringing Ari up.

I would be suprised out of my gourd. I don't think he can play tomorrow night. And unless Brylin's slappin' on the pads, who would be the back-up? Do what Vancouver did and pull a guy out of university hockey for one game?

Listed day to day isn't great news. Glad that there's no damage. I think we'll see him in against Boston and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't bother bringing Ari up.

I would be suprised out of my gourd. I don't think he can play tomorrow night. And unless Brylin's slappin' on the pads, who would be the back-up? Do what Vancouver did and pull a guy out of university hockey for one game?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He's not playing Friday, Clemmy is. Marty could just sit on the bench and look at the scoreboard and whatever else to avoid watching the game. But since he's listed day to day :saddevil: I guess giving him the weekend off would be a good precaution. I guess it all depends on how the team plays against Buffalo. Knowing Marty, it's going to take excrutiating pain and wild horses to keep he on the bench against Boston.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He's not playing Friday, Clemmy is. Marty could just sit on the bench and look at the scoreboard and whatever else to avoid watching the game. But since he's listed day to day :saddevil: I guess giving him the weekend off would be a good precaution. I guess it all depends on how the team plays against Buffalo. Knowing Marty, it's going to take excrutiating pain and wild horses to keep he on the bench against Boston.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can't take that chance though. If Marty is unavailable, he can't sit on the bench. What if Clemmy gets hurt? You'd have no backup goaltender. You need a healthy netminder on the bench.

Is anyone else terrified when Scott Clemmensen is in nets? He is the kind of goalie that if the Devils were playing I'd say, "Well I think we have a chance at 7 goals tonight."

When he came in last night you just knew he was going to let in a goal ins econds and I know it was a 5-3 but the goal he let in was brutal.

Edited by devilsrule33

I think Ari & Clem will play. I twised my knee a month ago, swelled up and hurt like hell. Got an x-ray and there was no damage. Still took two weeks for it to feel mostly normal and I don't do anything really physical. I would think for a goalie to get back his knee would (should) be near 100%.

I'd say he's out at least a week - 3-4 games.

I think Ari & Clem will play. I twised my knee a month ago, swelled up and hurt like hell. Got an x-ray and there was no damage. Still took two weeks for it to feel mostly normal and I don't do anything really physical. I would think for a goalie to get back his knee would (should) be near 100%.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Don't say that, let alone think it! Marty is our Iron Horse. No way he misses a week. No way. I'm having a hard enough time using hurt and Marty in the same sentence. Okay, if Ari is up, I guess he's out for the next too, but that's it. He can't sit out that long. He just can't. Two games is enough to light a fire under the team. But they need him. I don't think he'd let the team down.

As it happened I said to myself, "Marty just Richtered himself." That's the scariest part - we've seen that same injury before and Richter retired because of it (among other things). If Marty did do any damage, he'd be out for months and even when he came back it would always be a weak spot. What's making me nervous now is Marty's played hurt for long stretches, so playing with discomfort isn't something he'd shy away from and if he did come back and really hurt it we'd be screwed. TAKE SOME TIME OFF!!! Wait for it feel 100% then come back.

The Devils will probably go 0-10 in the mean time, but it would be worth it if it brings about some staff changes and reduces the chances of Marty being out longterm.

-Dan

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Don't say that, let alone think it! Marty is our Iron Horse. No way he misses a week. No way. I'm having a hard enough time using hurt and Marty in the same sentence. Okay, if Ari is up, I guess he's out for the next too, but that's it. He can't sit out that long. He just can't. Two games is enough to light a fire under the team. But they need him. I don't think he'd let the team down.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:blink: Let the team down? Huh? If anything, the team has been letting HIM down, I worry about him this year if he tries to carry the workload he has in the past. In this new NHL, it just can't be possible anymore. He needs to stay healthy, and if that means sitting out more often, so be it. I'd rather Marty be out for one week than three months. Let him rest.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think I would rather have Marty out for a week of rest to make sure the knee is okay, than have him come back Saturday, jar the knee again, and end up out for a month. (Lou forbid! :pray: )

Is anyone else terrified when Scott Clemmensen is in nets. He is the kind of goalie that if the Devils were playing I'd say, "Well I think we have a chance at 7 goals tonight."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe but there's nothing to inherently suggest that. He had a handful of starts in '03-04 and did quite well with them. Granted now it's new league, new coach and all that. But the two games he came in this year were also hopeless causes (yeah I know we were down one goal but it was a 5-on-3, the team had already quit before Marty's injury and just went totally in the tank after). I want to see him actually start a game from scratch this year and see how good or not he is. Remember he (and Ari) if nothing else does have more experience with swiss cheese D's than Marty.

As it happened I said to myself, "Marty just Richtered himself."  That's the scariest part - we've seen that same injury before and Richter retired because of it (among other things).  If Marty did do any damage, he'd be out for months and even when he came back it would always be a weak spot.  What's making me nervous now is Marty's played hurt for long stretches, so playing with discomfort isn't something he'd shy away from and if he did come back and really hurt it we'd be screwed.  TAKE SOME TIME OFF!!!  Wait for it feel 100% then come back. 

The Devils will probably go 0-10 in the mean time, but it would be worth it if it brings about some staff changes and reduces the chances of Marty being out longterm.

-Dan

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Richter blew out both ACLs that way, it's virtually impossible to come back from that type of injury as a goalie. If there's instability in the knee, Marty runs a high risk of the unhappy triad -- tearing the ACL, MCL, and meniscus. He does that, he's easily done for at LEAST three months, if not the whole season. He really needs to rest at this point, the risk is far too high right now.

You guys are scaring me! :o All this knee damage tear talk. He just tweaked it. :pray: I know what you mean, RD, about the team letting him down, but I'm just thinking that Marty obviously feels he has to bail them out and being out any length of time would be like letting them down.