Minor Devils Trade

brylin18

here's the writeup for it:

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- The Vancouver Canucks sent undersized left wing Steve Kariya, the younger brother of Anaheim captain Paul Kariya, to the New Jersey Devils on Friday in exchange for defenseman Mikko Jokela.

Kariya played 65 games with the Canucks over three seasons, but has spent all of this year with the Manitoba Moose of the AHL. The 25-year-old had 14 goals and 14 assists in 37 games with the Moose.

He was signed as a free agent out of the University of Maine in April 1999.

Jokela, a 22-year-old from Finland, was drafted by 96th overall by New Jersey in 1998 and has played the last two seasons with the Albany River Rats of the AHL.

He had eight goals and 19 points in 43 games this season.

I think we needed more forwards in Albany with Rupp, Bicek and Bergie in NJ.

We are pretty much are set on defense with Hale, Martin and Giroux for just two spots (Dano/Stevens) in a year or two we could afford to deal a D-man. Especially, since we still have a great yound stock piled D-men on the farm.

I think we needed more forwards in Albany with Rupp, Bicek and Bergie in NJ.

We are pretty much are set on defense with Hale, Martin and Giroux for just two spots (Dano/Stevens) in a year or two we could afford to deal a D-man. Especially, since we still have a great yound stock piled D-men on the farm.

Absolute bad trade. What is Lou thinking? Jokela was arguably our best prospect w/ decent size for what? another damn midget.

And, we are not in any way loaded with D-men. There still in college, and we're hoping that they'll be able to step up when the time comes.

How could someone look @ this smurf (Kariya) & say ,"we gotta get this guy"?? Lousy move!

Vince

Agreed vadvlfan. I don't understand it either. This means either Daneyko and Albelin are coming back for another year, or.. who knows. It means that Jokela isn't much of an NHL prospect, I think, because Kariya almost certainly isn't.

Hale and Martin are still both juniors, I believe, and Lou likes to give players a year in Albany after college. This means they will not be ready until 2005.

The Devils should have inquired into Joel Kwaitkowski's availability, but back then they didn't know that Tverdovsky would be out for so long..

You know, I think that Lou has a thing for North American players. I dont think its a coincidence that the roster, both NHL and AHL is packed mostly with Canadians and Americans.

But you have to admit, that Lou seems to like guys who play with a lot of heart than skill or size. I think Kariya is like that, same with Gionta(dont know about this Jokela character).

Though this team could use some euro talent....

Well I'm a heart gal myself and Jokela I liked. Admittedly I've only seen three rats games this year but he stood out. Maybe I caught him on good days but he was PLAYING - I didn't sense any selfishness or ego -- I may be TOTALLY wrong I wish Lou could say why you let one guy go What does he suppose was holding Jokela back...if anything..if Kariya's size is holding him back.

I dunno with Zuz and now Tevy...I have to change the motto to "In Lou we generally trust" :lol:

:mellow:

I wonder what Geoff Stevens has to say about all this.. :P

PK, what are your issues about Zyuz and Olie? I'm just trying to figure out which way to word my response, but I'm not sure if you're disappointed in how they were brought along or disappointed Zyuz was let go and disappointed with how they're dealing with Tverdovsky.

So LMK and then I'll respond. ;)

You know -- even I'm not sure what I mean ESB. Both really. It's just I can't see the whole story - obviously Z&T have talent. Obviously Z anyhow had issues. When playing he showed signs of learning or at least getting what had to be done - he seemed to just not be able to find the nuts to do it. he wasn't quite trusting of the Devils. Can you work with that? i don't know. Tevy I have no idea what's going on there - maybe he has the Brett Hedican thing where he just has fuzzy brains and it's just not feeling normal. That's scary stuff. but WTF? I'm insensative I guess - well I KNOW - because there comes a time when I say gee that's too bad but - you know what? SUCK IT UP! If it's never going away then you'll have to deal with it some time right?

OK, I'm still not sure either. ;)

I know Zyuz is getting a bucket of ice time with the Wild. I think the guy might just wanna play. And he was held back with us, so I guess it's best he's there. I do find myself watching more Wild games (and it AIN'T to see Bombardir and Mitchell, OK it might be a little cause of how great Gabby is).

I reallly REALLY identify with Olie, cause I had this ailment that no one could put a finger on, but which had me dizzy every single day. In his case, I don't know if it's part of the hit sustained and part of the illness -- it seems like they're both a factor.

I DO know when he's out on the ice, he works really hard for us. I really find myself watching where he is and what he's doing when he's playing. I think he likes being a Devil and though he's not as versed in the basics as our other six, he's really solid -- and fun to watch on the 4-on-4.

Anyway, my point was, I think he likes being part of the team and if it was up to him he'd be out there. Maybe if he wouldn't say that he didn't feel 100 percent, he'd be out there though. ;)

As big a fan I was of the Zyuzin trade, I'd rather have Albelin.. Zyuzin's physical skills were impressive, but the guy wasn't a smart hockey player. I'm not sure if he ever will be a smart hockey player.. I get the sense that as an NHLer, he will always be treading water.. the Devs are a championship team, can't afford to have a guy out there who looks lost too often.

From Lou's quote about Kariya, it sounds like he wanted to get Steve when he came out of Maine, but he signed instead with his hometown team. But this doesn't fulfill any kind of need on the Devils whatsoever, we already have an undersized Steve who was an AHL All-Star, and we have plenty of undersized guys already. Unless one of the little Devils is heading out in trade, this deal makes 0 sense from an NHL perspective. Jokela will probably be a 6th/7th D.. Kariya will not be an NHL player. Why not deal Giroux or Matteuci for Steve Kariya instead?

i don't agree with the zyuzin happenings, i wish we kept him. c'mon, would you rather have zyuzin or albelin? 'nuff said.

Albelin is playing very VERY well. He's made some plays that have saved Marty and he's playing even better than he did last year.

Having said that, I ALSO appreciate Zyuz. I don't think he ever got the chance that he's getting in Minnesota now and I'm disappointed. I'm a big fan of Tverdovsky's, but I guess I am that of Zyuz as well. Hope he does really well with them.

All those counting on some big trade that will bring a missing offensive piece of the puzzle to the top line will appreciate the $1 million dump in Zyuz's salary at that time. He was making an awful lot of money to be riding the pine. And there wasn't any position for him -- not foretelling the Tverdovsky future at that point.