What's the Devils ideal 1st round matchup?

'7'

What's the Devils ideal 1st round matchup?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Which team do the Devils have the best chance of beating in round 1

• Senators
    • Flyers
    • Rangers
    • Hurricanes
    • Sabres

Buffalo, no doubt. New Jersey was 3-1 against them during the regular season.

Buffalo also rely's heavily on their PP. The Devils stay out of the box, which is a big help in that area.

That matchup might not be overly realistic, though.

The Rangers are more of a probability, and I like our chances against them better than most other teams in the upper end of the conference.

Because I'm a post whore, I'll just put in this thread what I put in the last one and go back and edit:

I like a matchup with the Rangers - I feel like their weak defenders can be exploited. While you said in the other thread that we've seen enough of Straka and Jagr, I think you're forgetting 2001 when we shut both of them down in the most forgettable Conference Final of the past decade. Lundqvist has played excellent but has played a long season between Sweden and New York and Renney can't rely on Weekes to play at all down the stretch - Henrik could be fatigued. I feel like our tough defense matches up well with their finesse forwards, and their speed is negated by the fact that we just don't give up breakways and odd-man rushes. Their defense, OTOH, with Ozolinsh and Poti, will be giving away pucks left and right. I feel like Jagr can be shut down pretty well by Pandolfo. That Sykora acquisition was a good one and I hate the Rangers for making it - if they don't, they're a much weaker club and I'd be confident if the Devils faced them.

I'm not incredibly confident about our chances with anyone. I'd much rather take our 45% shot at winning up against New York or Philadelphia than Carolina because beating them would be much more satisfying - and while we're talking about superstitions, didn't we say Carolina was the best matchup in 2002?

Some Ottawa fans are rooting for the Devils right now because they don't want to face us in the playoffs. However, I'd honestly rather not see the Senators either.

It'd be nice to beat the Rangers. I hope the Sabres do well so maybe they can meet up with us in a later round.

Edited by Nature's Minister

Because I'm a post whore, I'll just put in this thread what I put in the last one and go back and edit:

I like a matchup with the Rangers - I feel like their weak defenders can be exploited. While you said in the other thread that we've seen enough of Straka and Jagr, I think you're forgetting 2001 when we shut both of them down in the most forgettable Conference Final of the past decade. Lundqvist has played excellent but has played a long season between Sweden and New York and Renney can't rely on Weekes to play at all down the stretch - Henrik could be fatigued. I feel like our tough defense matches up well with their finesse forwards, and their speed is negated by the fact that we just don't give up breakways and odd-man rushes. Their defense, OTOH, with Ozolinsh and Poti, will be giving away pucks left and right. I feel like Jagr can be shut down pretty well by Pandolfo. That Sykora acquisition was a good one and I hate the Rangers for making it - if they don't, they're a much weaker club and I'd be confident if the Devils faced them.

I'm not incredibly confident about our chances with anyone. I'd much rather take our 45% shot at winning up against New York or Philadelphia than Carolina because beating them would be much more satisfying - and while we're talking about superstitions, didn't we say Carolina was the best matchup in 2002?

my fault, I should've just made this poll and not asked you in the other thread :D

good points, but in 2001 we had Stevens and Niedermayer to shut down Jagr, Straka, and the rest. Our defense is pretty good, but I don't think we'll be able to dominate them like we did in 01. On the flip side, we have to be lucky and not head into the playoffs in one of our goal scoring droughts. Right now it looks like we have two lines, I don't know how long it'll last. You're right, the Rangers will give us chances, but will we shoot it off the glass or into Lundqvists chest? Give the Rangers credit, they have a solid groups of checking forwards that can give our guys fits as well.

and to be cliche, someone has to step up and be the hero...Viktor Kozlov. I think he might have a big postseason if Lou gives him a shot. I'm basing this on nothing, I just have a feeling, maybe he can be the new Claude.

Edited by '7'

I picked Ottawa. I just think that this team could frustrate, bother and upset that team more than others, it would be beautiful. I don't see that team lasting the entire playoffs, IMO. The Sabres are my second choice. But I definitely think that the checking line can handle their top line enough that they would have to drop Alfredsson to their second line, much like the Devils had to do with Patty, but I don't think their secondary defense past their initial checking line can match the grinders on New Jersey's back end. Of course, it inevitably ends with Marty and defensive placement.

Matt Damon from Good Will Hunting:

"Nah, I chose the pipe, why, 'cause fvck him, that's why."

Guest troycrowder25

Its between Buffalo and the Rangers in my opinion. I'll pick the Rangers because I think Madden and Pando can shut down Jagr and I think we can bully them around. I want nothing to do with Ottawa.

Its between Buffalo and the Rangers in my opinion. I'll pick the Rangers because I think Madden and Pando can shut down Jagr and I think we can bully them around. I want nothing to do with Ottawa.

What about the Flyers, they have a great shot at the third seed especially the way the Rangers played against Ottawa and how certain teams can shut down Jagr. I feel confident enough that we can get the 6th seed especially with the 2 games remaining in Montreal. On a side note I'm getting tickets to the Sabres Game 1 and 7, so maybe there will be a miracle and the Flyers will lose out and we'll somehow get the 5th seed and play Buffalo. If not I'd love to watch the Sabs play the Flyers or Rags.

I hope you all keep voting for the Rangers. Keep doubting them. That's the way I want it. It's how it's been all year because they were supposed to do nothing. I would give the Devils a chance just cause I think Brodeur and their tight checking would make every game a pain in the ass.

The real question would be could the Devils score enough goals? I don't see Jagr doing a no show like Thornton either. He's been too dominant this season. He's ultramotivated. Sounds like he'll retire when his contract expires two years from now.

I love how Tri continually disrespects Prucha. He just knows how to make plays. I have more confidence in him than Sykora come postseason. And Sykora has been good.

I also believe having Weekes will help Lundqvist from an experience standpoint. That is underrated.

If there is one area I worry about, it's the blueline with Ozolinsh in particular. Poti has played better than people give him credit for. Ozo is soft as molasses and makes big mistakes. Malik and Rozsival can be forechecked but usually come out with the puck more times than not and move it extremely well. Kaspar always plays tough and might be a deterrent. Tyutin has been up and down. I'd say he and Ozo are the two guys I worry about the most.

I also believe if this series were to come down, it would depend on how it's called. Do they allow Colin White to get away with all his little bully tactics? If so, then advantage Devils. If not, advantage Rangers.

If I were to vote though, this might surprise some. But I'd vote for Ottawa. For some reason, the Devils style gives them fits. I think that would be the one match-up Ottawa would not want.

Carolina and the Flyers would be the worst match-ups for the Devils. I think both have too much size and forechecking and would wear down Brodeur a la how the Flyers did two years ago. Both are built to go far.

The Sabres look like an easy opponent due to how the Devils have owned them. But they have had guys out. If they get all their guns back, they will be no picnic. I also think Miller can get hot. If there is one advantage the Devils would have, it's on the blueline.

The one thing I have noticed about this year's lower seeds is that they are formidable. I would not be surprised if two of the Lightning, Devils and Canadiens pull off first round upsets. Tampa because of their Cup experience. They have underachieved all season but their talent along with their style makes them a difficult match-up. Montreal because they once again have a hot goalie (Huet) and guys like Koivu, Kovalev and Souray do their best work in the playoffs. They have done it before. The Devils I already documented why.

It's less doubting them and more realizing that they're significantly less threatening than the Senators or the Hurricanes. They may very well beat the Devils in the playoffs, but I'm entirely certain that our odds are much, much better against New York than they are against the other two teams. If you hit the Rangers, they crumble.

A full strength Ottawa is just scary.

Edited by Nature's Minister

i think the devils have the best change to beat the sabres but i'd LOVE to see a cross river playoff round again.

I said the Sens. I just think they just can't get in their heads that the Devils are a threat. They KNOW it... but they can't figure on how to prepare for it - because they're superior in every way... always are. They just can't figure on the whole WORK part of it. Everyone else has something to bring to the table - Ranger and Flyers have the rivalry - and the confidence that they HAVE beaten us down before. The Sabres and Canes have an underdog appeal that I think could work for them too easily... The Sens - there's nothing new there - but they still have a sh!te load of talent that the Devils canNOT underestimate - we're still the underdog...

and Murray's a choker :evil:

The feeling is mutual PK. I want no part of the Devils and it's because of what I saw today and the last two games. They are very capable of raising their level.

But one thing that is weird is how unpredictable they are. They have times where they look great and others where they can't do anything right. It's a coin toss as to how they'll fare in the postseason.