GDT: Flyers vs. Devils 4/16/06

Devilsdude530

Just got home from family's little easter party. I just found put the score, 5-1 and that Jamie scored and that Gionta got #46+47, just made this the best easter that I can remeber! Thanks devils!

I don't think he got #47 unless they changed it.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else see those two girls kiss on jumbotron?

Marty probably had their phone numbers within two seconds.

Funny, we thought it was good luck, because Elias scored almost right away :D.

Anywho, I got to see Doc today. Got his autograph on the best of everything in hockey. He wondered how old it was and I said regardless, it's still true. I asked him if he was doing an OLN game this week, and he said he'd be doing Dallas-Detroit tomorrow. And we talked for a minute about that game and said goodbye.

Such a nice guy. He was talking to this other guy about his mortgage before I said hello.

Recap should be up momentarily.

According to AP, the Devils are saying that Colin suffered a groin pull. I'm not exactly sure what that means... I'm hoping the leg doesn't need to be amputated.

They will remove his groin only to find out he really had a concussion. :P

Anyone else see those two girls kiss on jumbotron?

Marty probably had their phone numbers within two seconds.

Funny, we thought it was good luck, because Elias scored almost right away :D.

Anywho, I got to see Doc today. Got his autograph on the best of everything in hockey. He wondered how old it was and I said regardless, it's still true. I asked him if he was doing an OLN game this week, and he said he'd be doing Dallas-Detroit tomorrow. And we talked for a minute about that game and said goodbye.

Such a nice guy. He was talking to this other guy about his mortgage before I said hello.

Recap should be up momentarily.

Marty? nah Gomez!! haha.

I missed it.. i heard everyone cheering and looked up and saw a family and was os confused.. but 731 explained!

lots of blood from the girl who got hit with the puck in front of us.. but im sure she was ok..they excosrted her out.. i just dont get how she got hit so hard..she really must not have been watching.. it flipped out and didnt look fast at all.

Good game!! Jamies little celebration was sooooo funny! He looked like a toe dancer

TSN Notes

Devils defenceman Colin White injured his groin and did not return for the third period.

I hope that is a minor injury and not a major one. I want the Devils to field the best team possible against Montreal, but I think White may be better sitting out. I wonder if Matvichuk would also sit out if White was out.

The Devils played very well today. They really were impressive. Great coaching move putting Elias on for that final shift in the first. That was some passing. That's how you play the game well.

You have to feel really good about how they're playing. They now have two scoring lines and the D playing well and a hot goalie. That's what you need to have postseason success.

nothing, he lets in softies in every playoff series. Rest him in Montreal so he doesn't get hurt.

We're powerless I guess, what do you honestly expect in the first playoff series? a sweep or a 7 game war? I think we're going 7 regardless of who we play, and we'll probably have to fight back from a 2-0 deficit.

this team is not the kind of machine to keep this up, we can just as quickly go back to being the Devils who went 10 games struggling to score 2 goals. Where will that get us in the playoffs?

You know about as much economics as you do hockey, which is nothing :rant: why are you always about negative stuff?

Had your "union boys" had your way we wouldn't be playing hockey right now, what the hell is wrong with you? :noclue:

If I look at the Scoresheet Luko plays a great game...

is it true ?

Klee was man of the match :D

nothing, he lets in softies in every playoff series. Rest him in Montreal so he doesn't get hurt.

We're powerless I guess, what do you honestly expect in the first playoff series? a sweep or a 7 game war? I think we're going 7 regardless of who we play, and we'll probably have to fight back from a 2-0 deficit.

this team is not the kind of machine to keep this up, we can just as quickly go back to being the Devils who went 10 games struggling to score 2 goals. Where will that get us in the playoffs?

just shutup dude, the more you say how bad were goign to do, makes you look like a flyers or rags fan, a freaking pasny at that. Just shutup and save us the stress.

Great game..... We had a very nice tailgate. No flyer fans around giving us a hard time, talking sh!t.... Not many Flyer fans in our sections giving sh!t, it was nice.... We haved OWNED them the last two games.....

We have been in playoff mode for 2 weeks, we are rolling right into the playoffs!

These are three elite-level players - in all the years the Devils have played I don't think they have ever had 3 elite-level forwards.

i have to say that 00/01 was a better forward lineup than this one (and that's saying something). Elias was just as good then and he still had Arnott and Sykora who were on a level with Gio and Gomez this year. And there was still Gomez and Mogilny then too. Not to mention 20 goal scorers in Madden and Holik. I love Gomez, Gionta, and Elias as much as the next guy, but the 00/01 squad was stacked beyond compare.

And i'm also shocked that you made no mention of the awful weimer penalty (again).

i have to say that 00/01 was a better forward lineup than this one (and that's saying something). Elias was just as good then and he still had Arnott and Sykora who were on a level with Gio and Gomez this year. And there was still Gomez and Mogilny then too. Not to mention 20 goal scorers in Madden and Holik. I love Gomez, Gionta, and Elias as much as the next guy, but the 00/01 squad was stacked beyond compare.

And i'm also shocked that you made no mention of the awful weimer penalty (again).

i think hes getting too tired of posting it.

In the 00/01 season didn't we have the scoring title in the league and won the conference?

Oh, obviously 00-01 was a better forward lineup, a way better forward lineup, but -

1. I don't think Elias was as good then as he is now. He is so confident on the puck and he has an extra something, I can't define it - back then he was part of a unit, but now he's defined himself? I just can't see him ever going through a drought like he did in 2003 and same with Gomez.

2. Gomez is better than Arnott ever was.

3. Gionta is better than Sykora ever was.

That Devils team ran up the score on a lot of clubs - this one hasn't, really. I just think Elias in 2006 is better than 2001 Elias, and Gomez and Gionta are capable of doing a lot more on the ice than Arnott and Sykora. The SEA line was a great line and certainly more than the sum of their parts - that's what made them great. Since leaving Arnott and Sykora have had some good seasons and some bad but no one has confused them for elite-level players. I think Gomez, Gionta, and Elias are elite-level no matter where they end up, they've played that good this year.

And yeah, Wiemer's penalty is just standard at this point. If I were ever to have an avatar it would be Wiemer (or Langenbrunner's) look of confusion when they get called yet again for an obvious penalty.

If I were ever to have an avatar it would be Wiemer (or Langenbrunner's) look of confusion when they get called yet again for an obvious penalty.

Shutup, jamie hasn't taken a dumb penalty in a while, and if he wasn't here, good luck with the cup back in 03'.

Shutup, jamie hasn't taken a dumb penalty in a while, and if he wasn't here, good luck with the cup back in 03'.

your posting identity notwithstanding, jaime acts as if he never does anything suspect on the ice. today's unnecessary throw down of carter after the interference play was just an example.

Oh, obviously 00-01 was a better forward lineup, a way better forward lineup, but -

1. I don't think Elias was as good then as he is now. He is so confident on the puck and he has an extra something, I can't define it - back then he was part of a unit, but now he's defined himself? I just can't see him ever going through a drought like he did in 2003 and same with Gomez.

2. Gomez is better than Arnott ever was.

3. Gionta is better than Sykora ever was.

That Devils team ran up the score on a lot of clubs - this one hasn't, really. I just think Elias in 2006 is better than 2001 Elias, and Gomez and Gionta are capable of doing a lot more on the ice than Arnott and Sykora. The SEA line was a great line and certainly more than the sum of their parts - that's what made them great. Since leaving Arnott and Sykora have had some good seasons and some bad but no one has confused them for elite-level players. I think Gomez, Gionta, and Elias are elite-level no matter where they end up, they've played that good this year.

arnott and gomez are two totally different players. arnott actually played with his size that year and was a force on the cycle and in front of the net. but obviously, arnott could not control the puck the way gomez does. but gomez 2000 and gomez 2006 were very similar on the offensive side (although 06 gomez trusts his shot and uses it).

my point was that 00/01 had at least 3 (and I'll say 5) elite level scorers. i think you might be looking at 00 sykora and mixing him with 02-06 sykora in how you paint him. he was an offensive force that year.

as for elias, i said before the year started that he's a top 10 forward in this league (i may have actually said top 7) and i have no reason to back off that claim

your posting identity notwithstanding, jaime acts as if he never does anything suspect on the ice. today's unnecessary throw down of carter after the interference play was just an example.

arnott and gomez are two totally different players. arnott actually played with his size that year and was a force on the cycle and in front of the net. but obviously, arnott could not control the puck the way gomez does. but gomez 2000 and gomez 2006 were very similar on the offensive side (although 06 gomez trusts his shot and uses it).

You and I both know that he does things wrong, but I am being bias here. I do think he shouldn'thave thrown carter down like that today, but damnit was that funny and carter deseved somehting for pushing jamie in the back.

my point was that 00/01 had at least 3 (and I'll say 5) elite level scorers. i think you might be looking at 00 sykora and mixing him with 02-06 sykora in how you paint him. he was an offensive force that year.

as for elias, i said before the year started that he's a top 10 forward in this league (i may have actually said top 7) and i have no reason to back off that claim

I don't think 01 and 06 Gomez are similar at all - 01 Gomez dropped the puck to Mogilny and Alex do the work, or found Alex in the slot. Not only is Gomez making better passes, he's clearly faster, stronger, and with a better shot, and now he's up against top penalty killing units and top shutdown lines every game, whereas with Mogilny he wasn't. We saw what happened in later years when Gomez was going up against top lines and even with Elias as a linemate. And I haven't even mentioned defense.

It's difficult to compare the two clubs since the 01 Devils had so much depth - that made every player on the club better. It also meant they blew out a lot of teams and piled up goals on them.

My point was that Arnott and Sykora did not enjoy the same success elsewhere as they did in New Jersey, leaving their status as 'elite' players up for serious debate. I just don't think if we were making a list of the top 25 forwards in the league in 00-01 that Arnott and Sykora would've ended up on it - Elias yes, Mogilny perhaps, Sykora maybe, but Arnott definitely not. I think you could put Elias, Gomez, and Gionta on that list easily.

My point was that Arnott and Sykora did not enjoy the same success elsewhere as they did in New Jersey, leaving their status as 'elite' players up for serious debate. I just don't think if we were making a list of the top 25 forwards in the league in 00-01 that Arnott and Sykora would've ended up on it - Elias yes, Mogilny perhaps, Sykora maybe, but Arnott definitely not. I think you could put Elias, Gomez, and Gionta on that list easily.

i agree that arnott and sykora didn't enjoy the same success. that was actually my point when you compared them to gomez/gionta. who knows what they are if they're on other teams in the future. i was comparing this year to that year.

you're 100% right that EGG are in the top 25 forwards in the NHL this year (perhaps higher).

I would argue that All 5 would have made that list in 01, but i don't think there is any doubt that at least 3 of them would make it (Elias, Sykora, Mogilny). And that doesn't count that Gomez led the league in assists that year.

You can't compare the A-Line in 2001 to Gionta, Gomez, and Elias in 06, it's a completely different game. Put Arnott-Elias-Sykora and the rest of the 2001 Devils in the 2006 NHL season and you have a team that scores 350+ goals, everybody on the A-Line would likely score 90+ points.

I meant to say... someone in our row won a prize for fan appreciation... 6 seats down from me...

Flyers fan...

I dunno how they would do it.. but there should be a way to only give them to devisl fans haha..

Maybe check out the persons shirt before announcing they won lol..

We shouldnt be appreciating them for coming to our stadium :) It should be the devs fans who are appreciated.