Anyone here Melrose after the game?

Reverend_Hellh0und

He makes a good point - Jagr, Straka, Nylander, Sykora, Prucha - the Rangers have no offense.

A series with Ottawa would be damned interesting. The rest of the playoffs are just gravy if the Devils beat the Rangers.

I disagree... at this point anythingl ess than conf finals is unacceptable... and w/ Hasek out.. IMHO making i tot he the finals is a real possibility

I disagree... at this point anythingl ess than conf finals is unacceptable... and w/ Hasek out.. IMHO making i tot he the finals is a real possibility

I don't care - if we beat the Rangers every game is a bonus. With the way this season began, I've got the Tony Soprano outlook on it - every playoff game is a gift from God. (and thanks to the Devils last night I still haven't seen this week's episode so no spoilers)

I'm not going to say this team has no shot of winning a Stanley Cup because they certainly do. But I'm not going to get my hopes up and believe that they do - every playoff game past a series with the Rangers is just a blessing, win or lose.

If Ottawa and Montreal continue on their current path, we will be playing the winner of Buffalo-Philadelphia.

BTW, the writer was Scott Burnside, who completely downplayed the Rangers' soft underbelly.

Edited by Triumph

Melrose is a douche...?!? can I say douche? yeah he's a douche... :D...anyway it's not that the Rags don't have offense, like Triumph pointed out, its just the Devs are shutting them down...if its not the Madden Pando line then its our Back 6, if not them then its Marty...not to mention we have scored 12 goals in 3 games...i think we can hold our own with any offensive team...its a truly good defensive team that we might have a fight with...and i just don't see it with the lack of experienced goalies in the playoffs...

but that gets it...now everytime we score i'm going to start chanting "F*** you Melrose!" :D

gotta agree with tri - considering how badly this team looked back in november/december, how tough a time it was adjusting to the penalty calls in oct/nov, how awful the free agent signings over the summer turned out to be by december, a lot of us were figuring a #8 seed would be a gift, and missing the playoffs could be quite possible (hey, the team was like 16 and 23 or something at the end of 2005) Elias coming back from a debilitating illness was a huge question mark, marty certainly was looking as if he had scott and scott to thank for his brilliant career, the great larry robinson was getting himself sick trying to coach this team.

Coming back to win the Atlantic, WOW, what can you say. What a 2nd half effort by these guys. Way to turn things around Lou - out with the dead wood, rachet up the intensity, give Johnny Mac a bit of room to show his coaching ability, and thank God for the health and stregnth of Patrick Elias upon his return.

Pulling the rag's in the first round - Marty has been waiting over 9 years to get another shot at these guys. I'm sure he's been hearing that same old tired "you never beat the rangers in the playoffs" crap the same as all of us have - but alas, the rangers haven't given the devils an opportunity for a re-match of course since the MISSED THE PLAYOFFS COMPLETELY FOR 9 YEARS. So this was another gift.

Jumping all over them for 3 straight games now - shutting up the ranger fans who showed up in our building, then shutting them up again in their own building - AWSOME, this is the way we always hoped to see the re-match play out.

Now, I'm not going to count chickens before they hatch, gloat over something that isn't quite done yet or anything else just yet. Our Devils still need another win to close out the series. Do I like our chances, of course I do, win one out of the next four and we move on. BUT, until they actually win that one, I won't say a thing to my ranger fan friends, and I absolutely won't say a thing to any non-friend ranger fans. I'll just sit back and keep my fingers crossed, and on saturday I'll sit in the same seat, wearing the same shirt and shorts, drinking the same brand of beer and eating frozen pizza, just like I have for the last three games.

And, every additional playoff game they play, win or lose, I'll consider another gift based on how bleak the outlook was just a few months ago.

Edited by rbdf

He makes a good point - Jagr, Straka, Nylander, Sykora, Prucha - the Rangers have no offense.

A series with Ottawa would be damned interesting. The rest of the playoffs are just gravy if the Devils beat the Rangers.

The rest of the playoffs is NOT gravy should we beat the Rangers. Anything short of of a 4th Cup is unaaceptable.

I agree, but the expectations do get higher after the way the Devils have been recently playing.

Yes the expectations grow, but I think I understand what Tri is saying.

At this point, beating the Rags is the goal.

Once we do that & our next round opponent is clear, we can analyze how far we may go, in that round, based on who we're matched against.

Will we play Buffalo ? who knows, Philly can win the next 3.

Carolina could win 3 straight too.

I'm hpoing for the Lightning to win a few more too.

Regarding Melrose, perhaps his point is that the Rags have not scored, and that is caused by and/or compounded by our early goals.

How will be do when the other team scores first ?

I'm confident we have the mental toughness to weather that storm.

The Devils are built for the playoffs.

Bottom line is IF (it aint quite over yet) we win this series we will most likely play Buffalo or Philly, and I think that also bodes well for NJ. Not having to face an Ottawa till the conference finals will be good, keeps the team on a roll, and anything can happen, especially the way Marty is playing right now.

Bottom line is IF (it aint quite over yet) we win this series we will most likely play Buffalo or Philly, and I think that also bodes well for NJ. Not having to face an Ottawa till the conference finals will be good, keeps the team on a roll, and anything can happen, especially the way Marty is playing right now.

What do you mean, the way Marty is playing? You mean how lucky he is? How the post saves his bacon?

:P

You have to excuse me. Feeling a bit sarcastic today. :evil:

Martin Brodeur:

Games: 3

Wins: 3

Loses: 0

GAA: 0.67

TGA: 2

SV: 79

SV%: .975

TSA: 81

SO: 1

Granted he has had some help from the posts and lots of those shots have been week, but when he was really tested he has made great saves. These last 3 games he looked really in the game keeping his positioning to the puck. Heck these last few months hes been fantastic.

Edited by E-Devil

Montreal, Buffalo, and Ottowa are very very scary teams. Montreal has a silly will to win. Buffalo is solid on every line. Ottowa is as scary as they were in '03. Playoffs are NOT gravy. Rags were the weakest team to enter.

If Barry would care to notice though, we beat ALL these teams over the last 14 games. Except..did we play Buffalo?

Edited by Cowutopia

Melrose also picked Carolina and Dallas to be in the finals, with Dallas winning it all. Carolina is still breathing; Dallas on the other hand has a big foot across their throats. Melrose springs from one bandwagon to another. After the last game against the Habs he said the Devils were a team of destiny and yet he picked Carolina to come out of the East. I think his receding hairline has his thoughts all mixed up.

it truly does seem like he has multiple personalities...He is an idiot either way though, he's so up the Western conferences a$$ that I don't think he will ever chose an Eastern conference team to win the cup let alone how much he hates the Devils...

Hey Mullet head :rant:

Melrose has actually jumped on the Devils bandwagon and lavished praises on everyone, but then crashed it into a brick wall 2 weeks later(circa 2001). The guy is seriously bad luck and I hope he avoids picking the Devils right up to the very end. The Devils don't need Melrose's approval to make it through the playoffs.

Edited by E-Devil

While I can understand that perspective, you're telling me with the way the Devils are playing, you don't think they can come out of the East? They're playing better than anybody. I'd be entertaining bigger thoughts.