Cam Janssen

devils26

I think if more players on the Devils had Cam Jansen's personality and attitude the Devils would be a much better team. I mean, this guy gets 7 or 8 shifts for a home game, 5 or 6 minutes of actual ice time, (he had 8 shifts and 4:29 of ice time in Game 3 of ECS) and he is on the bench yelling and getting guys pumped up. This guy brings so much energy to his team whenever he gets on the ice. He has so much heart, and it looks like he goes out there and gives it everything he has for the few minutes he gets to play. He also drew two penalties, one of which the Devils scored on. I think if people could take an example of the amount of heart and the amount of determination Cam Janssen has, our team would be much better, and we would have a great chance of turning this series around.

Guest troycrowder25
I think if more players on the Devils had Cam Jansen's personality and attitude the Devils would be a much better team. I mean, this guy gets 7 or 8 shifts for a home game, 5 or 6 minutes of actual ice time, (he had 8 shifts and 4:29 of ice time in Game 3 of ECS) and he is on the bench yelling and getting guys pumped up. This guy brings so much energy to his team whenever he gets on the ice. He has so much heart, and it looks like he goes out there and gives it everything he has for the few minutes he gets to play. He also drew two penalties, one of which the Devils scored on. I think if people could take an example of the amount of heart and the amount of determination Cam Janssen has, our team would be much better, and we would have a great chance of turning this series around.

He also has no skill and ZERO hockey sense if he doesn't have heart and bring energy he'd be bagging groceries. He does serve a purpose and I like having him on the team. Hopefully he'll be around for a while.

He also has no skill and ZERO hockey sense if he doesn't have heart and bring energy he'd be bagging groceries...

I realize that, and that is why I don't complain about his amount of ice time.

He was a pleasant surprise this year -- his reaction during Stevens' night was priceless, I hope he sticks around.

What happened with him at Steven's night, from my seats I couldn't see too much detail? :noclue:

He is happy to be living out a childs dream of playing a professional sport.

And knows his role on this team. I love the energy he brings. :clap:

I'm not a fan of the guy but he plays hard and tries his best. And I really liked what he said in the postgame interview after the loss. A very good attitude.

Why?

I might know the answer :D but

I saw it on the replay -- he was just ecstatic that everyone was chanting "Thank you Scotty/Stevens' like a kid in a candy store.

"Remember that kid in a candy store feeling..."

For all of you who listen to John Hennesey you've had that drilled in your head 10 times a game.

Anywho, in respect to Janssen as my signature may imply, I think he is a great asset to this team. Yes he has zero skill but atleast he can skate which is alot more than we can say for other enforcer type players in this league (i.e. Boogoard). He brings alot of energy to the line-up and as long as he continues to play his "Rudy" type role for 5 minutes a game, I don't ever want to see him out of the NJ sweater. He has scored some goals in the OHL so maybe he'll get his first fluke goal next game and propel us to win the series. :koolaid:

Edited by GOLDJR41

"Remember that kid in a candy store feeling..."

For all of you who listen to John Hennesey you've had that drilled in your head 10 times a game.

Anywho, in respect to Janssen as my signature may imply, I think he is a great asset to this team. Yes he has zero skill but atleast he can skate which is alot more than we can say for other enforcer type players in this league (i.e. Boogoard). He brings alot of energy to the line-up and as long as he continues to play his "Rudy" type role for 5 minutes a game, I don't ever want to see him out of the NJ sweater. He has scored some goals in the OHL so maybe he'll get his first fluke goal next game and propel us to win the series. :koolaid:

Cam Janssen can skate???? Since when? What game are you looking at? The guy looks like he has a parachute hanging from his back....

Cam Janssen can skate???? Since when? What game are you looking at? The guy looks like he has a parachute hanging from his back....

Relatively speaking, of course Cam Janssen isn't Gomer out there. That being said, for the type of player he is sent out there to be, he is actually a good skater. Most physical/fighter type players have two wood planks for legs and aren't capable to line people up like Janssen is able to do. If Cam Janssen were meant to be strickley a fighter, he would not still be on this team. But he isn't meant to just fight he is meant to be a hitter and knock the other teams players of their game. Cam is a good skater for his class. You have to look at a players skill for the role they are assigned. Comparing his skating skill to a scoring forward would be like comparing the speed of a linemen to that of a wide reciever. It's all relative.

But Janssen is not type of a guy who should be given more ice-time when the team is trailing by one goal. Which player you would like to go with, Elias or Janssen??? If the game is out of reach like game 1, then why not??? Personally, I love his attitude, but can he score big goals for us, at least in a consistently basis???

it's easy to have a lot of energy when you get 4 minutes of work a night. In the new NHL if the devils want to compete they have to roll 4 lines that can skate like the wind. Cam doesn't really fit into that plan.

He'll always have the game in St. Louis.

I want to keep Cam around and see how he developes. It was only his rookie season afterall. an offseason may do him good. Also, you can't gain skills in passion. He's already got it, and with some more skill developement he could be more useful (you never know). If we could develope passion, we'd have one of the best forwards in the league in Kozlov.

Cam is also just entertaining. and people say the devils have no personality. BAH!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by elias2600

it's easy to have a lot of energy when you get 4 minutes of work a night. In the new NHL if the devils want to compete they have to roll 4 lines that can skate like the wind. Cam doesn't really fit into that plan.

Now surely you can't believe this, watching the Dobermans draw 2 penalties last night. Janssen is part of the Devils' future plans. He has to learn how to play hockey a little better but he can skate and hit at least.

It's amazing what 3 losses do to people on this board - they immediately believe that complete changes are needed on New Jersey.

alright so he doesn't fit into MY plan for this team. I'd definatly keep him arround for cheap, but i'd build the team arround 4 speedy lines, i wouldn't design it arround getting cam janssen 5-10 minutes every night.

All he can do is skate really hard into the end boards. And he can fight. those are nice things to have in a spare part, but the opportunity cost is too great when you are forced to play your other lines almost 20 minutes a night.

alright so he doesn't fit into MY plan for this team. I'd definatly keep him arround for cheap, but i'd build the team arround 4 speedy lines, i wouldn't design it arround getting cam janssen 5-10 minutes every night.

All he can do is skate really hard into the end boards. And he can fight. those are nice things to have in a spare part, but the opportunity cost is too great when you are forced to play your other lines almost 20 minutes a night.

Obviously Janssen shouldn't get 10 minutes a night but very few teams in these playoffs are rolling 4 lines. The key to rolling 4 is to have young players, basically - New Jersey doesn't have any who fit that role well (except Janssen). Ideally the 4th line would get about 5-6 minutes.

You can't really sign players for a 'speedy 4th line' - you've got to have them in the system or you won't get them at all. The Devils are spending about 1.9 million a year for this fourth line - 3 million would be way too much, and that's what it would cost on the open market. I happen to like this fourth line because the Devils don't have enough physical players on the other 3 lines.

Most of the teams that got this far role 4 lines. Your post got me curious, so I did some stats checking. I only looked at teams that made the 2nd round, and I counted the number of forwards per team who are averaging greater than 10 min. per game. Here are the results:

Ana, Buf, Col

Car

Edm, SJ

NJ, Ott

I will also point out that the Dev's are giving Gionta, Langs and Madden approx. 20 min. per game, and that Kozlov (who only played 1 game so far) is included in that list. Basically the Devs are rolling 3 lines and every other team remaining (except Ottawa, who will likely loose - and has TONS more talent than NJ) role 4 lines. Edmonton and SJ are likely double shifting one forward, but still basically play 4 lines.

As to whether or not the Devils have a speedy 4th line in the system, I can't say for sure. But I would certainly prefer to see some conbination of Rasmussen, Tallackson, Ryznar or Pihlman play a few games together before I say we don't.

Edited by Tretyak 20

I appreciate the research Tretyak, but correlation does not imply causation. The 4th line has gotten so little time in the playoffs because a lot of the Devils' games have been blowouts one way or the other, and Lou L. and MacLean decided that they don't want Wiemer and Janssen starting things late in these games. There were huge stretches of the Rangers' series that was simply garbage time - no physical play for either side, just skating around until the game was mercifully over.