Nbc Coverage A Joke

Derek21

The one thing I will agree on with anyone here is that the network TV coverage stinks!!!!! I want to curse so badly but what the heck is the point?

It is so darn frustrating. NBC couldn't wait to get off the air. Hey! How come they can at least have bonus coverage on their sister stations such as MSNBC or CNBC for the treasured Olympics?

Yeah, I know. You can't compare the NHL to that. But come on! This is the darn Stanley Cup we're talking about. The best damn trophy in all of the major sports.

Sometimes, I wish there would be no major networks covering our sport. Because they don't give a darn. It was so apparent by the halfhearted little features they had between periods. Could they have spent less time on those pieces?

I love the damn game too much to see it covered so poorly. We all complained about how ESPN was all about the other sports. And it's true. At least you got extensive coverage after it went off ABC.

Man, I was having this same conversation with LOTCB the other night. And we both agreed that the Cup would have been better off on OLN. As much as I got on it for not being available in every market, at least they were dedicated. The consensus is that the league needs a network that will give it the type of coverage it deserves. OLN or Versus will do that.

It would just be nice to see hockey finally get the respect it deserves. Especially after a well played series which had more twists and turns than the U.S. Open conclusion Sunday.

We truly are the Rodney Dangerfield of sports.

You could hear the disappointment in Doc's voice when he said they weren't going to have enough time to interview a Oilers player.

At least they didn't interview a Oiler player first. Like they did in 2000 with Mike Modano.

How come they can at least have bonus coverage....

it was great after the '95 Cup win to have Sportschannel do extensive (actually hours of) coverage from the lockerroom.

:clap::clap:

maybe NBC got put off last night when Adams let the F-bomb slip out when raising the Cup ? :D

but I guess if the Game 7 itself only garners a .2 rating, then the post game would likely be .0001

hopefully for the local 'Cane fans, their regular-season network covered the post-game thoroughly.

I actually thought the coverage of the game was pretty good and NBC did a good job, the exception being Pierre between the boards which was pretty useless. I shut it off after the handshake so I don't know what went on after that, but with (probable) pitiful ratings for the game I would have to think that rating for a postgame show would have rivaled reruns of the Gong show on the game show network.

yea doc sounded like he was really let down...i was too a little skateing, a little hugging and then your nightly news, i was dissapointed by the questions they asked the players, i mean ward is 22 and made some amazeing saves, and has just won the satnleycup for the first time in franchise history and they ask him "so what's this feel like?" any idiot can ask that. i wasn't really expecting much though so whatever

There are so many more commercials on NBC than there are on OLN or FSNY. I understand why, but after a penalty I am excited to see the PP but I have to sit through a commercial break after every penalty. They could have stuck around longer to see the cup celebration, but besides all the commercials, I thought the coverage during the game was pretty good. I even find listening to Pierre interesting, probably because he's so close to all the players. Now that's a great job. :D

There are so many more commercials on NBC than there are on OLN or FSNY. I understand why, but after a penalty I am excited to see the PP but I have to sit through a commercial break after every penalty. They could have stuck around longer to see the cup celebration, but besides all the commercials, I thought the coverage during the game was pretty good. I even find listening to Pierre interesting, probably because he's so close to all the players. Now that's a great job. :D

There were no more commercials on NBC than on any other channel. Regular TV breaks were after the 14th, 10th, and 6th minute as they usually are. Actually, CBC is the only channel I've seen who gets the clearence for more.

petey is right - and the Devils got even less time in 2000. As I recall it was an interview with Modano, an interview with Arnott, Stevens with the Cup, maybe a few other guys, then off to the network news 2 hours late, where the top story is - the Devils win the Stanley Cup.

That's an interesting point, maybe after the fvckin Right thing, they wanted to run away as fast as they could.

But what annoys me is that, if this is JD's last game, he deserved a better goodbye.

Indeed. His final game and that's it. But I guess they couldn't really say anything cause it's not official.

The rating wasn't bad.

The fact is that they had to salvage the 11 oclock news. Period.

That and make sure the Jay Leno show is not delayed.

Here is an idea for next year: Why not start the Stanley Cup Finals at 730pm EST to allow more time for the networks to air the entire ceremony so it is not rushed?

I actually thought the coverage of the game was pretty good and NBC did a good job, the exception being Pierre between the boards which was pretty useless.

I actually liked Pierre. Then again, it takes a reporter of Pierre's caliber to make that position interesting, otherwise it really is useless. Sideline reporters are rarely useful, no matter what sport you're talking about.

There are so many more commercials on NBC than there are on OLN or FSNY. I understand why, but after a penalty I am excited to see the PP but I have to sit through a commercial break after every penalty.

I know Tri already touched on this, but I don't think TV timeouts were specifically scheduled for each penalty. It's just that there was so much flow to the game, so much non-stop action, that the only time play was stopped was to call a penalty.

Here is an idea for next year: Why not start the Stanley Cup Finals at 730pm EST to allow more time for the networks to air the entire ceremony so it is not rushed?

7-8 PM is local time, at least on the East Coast. Also, they can't start before 5 PM Pacific (8 Eastern) because then the West Coast bitches about everything starting way too early. See "Monday Night Football" the last few years and the World Series since they started playing at night for more examples.