Rags Sign Shanny

CMONPETEYD

They obviously feel that with some secondary scoring help, they can improve on last season. You don't commit longterm to a player that age. One year is sensible cause it gives guys like Dawes, Dubinsky and Korpikoski time to develop. Out of those three, Dawes is probably the most NHL ready and could still make the team. But he's not starting out on a top 2 line. That's just not realistic. You don't hand out roster spots to unproven rookies. They have to be earned like Prucha did last year.

By your logic and based on his play last season: You don't hand out roster spots to unproven rookies...like Prucha, but since Shanahan has been in the league, won't play physical or play defense...he gets a spot because your paying him $4 million a year?

I am happy about this signing because it helps us.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They obviously feel that with some secondary scoring help, they can improve on last season. You don't commit longterm to a player that age. One year is sensible cause it gives guys like Dawes, Dubinsky and Korpikoski time to develop. Out of those three, Dawes is probably the most NHL ready and could still make the team. But he's not starting out on a top 2 line. That's just not realistic. You don't hand out roster spots to unproven rookies. They have to be earned like Prucha did last year.

Overall, a good signing by them. He's durable, plays a ton of minutes, gets on the PP, and can be a big help to the younger guys. Someone to look up to.

On the down side, he is 37, and has been injury prone given his style of play. Also takes more PIMs than a coach would like.

regarding your prucha comment, the kid needs to prove himself this year - last year playing along side Jagr for a good part of the season doesn't mean he is ready to be a consistent top scorer for them

Derek would know - but I'll stand by my belief that he still needs to prove his mettle as a threat in the coming year.

He was on the PP with Jagr - 16 power play goals. His shooting percentage was 23% - unsustainable over a career. The Rangers will have to be happy next year if Prucha can score 30-35 in a full season, and they'll want him to double his shots on goal at least.

ya, i guess waiting for derek works much more.

But even so...i mean, to what degree do you feel a 2nd year player needs to prove himself?

i'm just saying that this guy doesn't have the flash yet to be a consistent 30 goal scorer (though this is the "new" NHL). being on his own line with wingers not named Jagr will undoubtedly impact his production. Plus, with Shanahan taking up more PP minutes, Prucha could very well see his PP time cut.

prucha doesn't have the "flash" to be a consistent 30 goal scorer? are you serious? the kid's shot is sick. his hands are soft as butter to boot along with great wheels. his potential is outstanding. flash is his game.

shanny chokes everyplayoffs, it's expected.

That's wrong. Check the years when Detroit won the Cup. He was pretty darn productive the first two. Not sure about 2002.

By your logic and based on his play last season: You don't hand out roster spots to unproven rookies...like Prucha, but since Shanahan has been in the league, won't play physical or play defense...he gets a spot because your paying him $4 million a year?

I am happy about this signing because it helps us.

Just like how an injury prone Alexander Mogilny and Vlad Malakhov were handed spots by your team. Just a friendly fyi Scoop!

Derek would know - but I'll stand by my belief that he still needs to prove his mettle as a threat in the coming year.

Of course he has to prove himself. He did it one year. But he was going to be a lock for 40 before his injury against the Flyers. Afterwards, he wasn't as effective. I will be curious to see how much he bulks up. If he adds strength, combined with skill and work ethic, he could be lethal.

And btw, most of his goals came playing 2nd line or on the PP.

He was on the PP with Jagr - 16 power play goals. His shooting percentage was 23% - unsustainable over a career. The Rangers will have to be happy next year if Prucha can score 30-35 in a full season, and they'll want him to double his shots on goal at least.

The last part on the SOG is the biggest thing in my book. This guy has great hands and is very difficult to handle one-on-one. It's not like he can't finish without JJ. He's not a selfish kid.

i'm just saying that this guy doesn't have the flash yet to be a consistent 30 goal scorer (though this is the "new" NHL). being on his own line with wingers not named Jagr will undoubtedly impact his production. Plus, with Shanahan taking up more PP minutes, Prucha could very well see his PP time cut.

Depends what they opt to do. Maybe stick him up front with Jagr and Nylander. And team Straka and Rachunek at the point.

I see Shanny playing with Cullen more than Jagr. Though they could opt for Shanny to play left side making that dangerous one-timer option pass out for Jagr.

Either way, the PP will get a boost. Both units will be bolstered.

If you really want to look for something to be concerned about with Prucha it's not the talent, it's the durability. He can score, it's just that he spent quite a bit of the season taking a pounding and I remember that even Ranger fans were wondering when his body was going to wear down, even before his knee injury his scoring started to slow, I believe. Instead, he wound up with a knee injury, also not a surprise because he was often the target of heavy hits along the boards that he would just manage to escape (he's quite quick and shifty) and in this case, he was trying to avoid the hit, if he had taken the hit straight on, he would have avoided the knee injury.

Back to Shanny...I don't think a one-year contract, even at $4M for a 37-year-old, is necessarily a bad thing. But he had a very good year playing for a coach, Babcock, who made him play a style he didn't want to play anymore and yet he did his best when he actually played the way Babcock wanted him to play, apparently. I can understand that with Yzernam retired and the goaltending situation in Detroit, Montreal and NY might have looked more intriguing. But he had problems with the expectations of the coach in Detroit and he said no to playing for the two guys, Carbonneau and Gainey, that will expect that same sort of responsibilty. I realize that Tom Renney will try to get him to be responsible out there...but I wonder what Sather told him would be expected of him? I'm not laughing at the signing the way some others on the board are, I'm just asking some questions. It does look like Shanahan looked at the three situations and chose the one where HE thinks the GM is most likely to force the coach to give him a pass and let him play the way he wants. I'm not saying that's what will happen but it might not be pretty.

As for Mogilny & Malakhov, Mogilny had played very responsibly and well for NJ in the past. If he had actually been healthy, I'm not sure there would have been a problem. Malakhov is another story altogether. Never liked it, never will, didn't like it even when we traded for him in 2000.

Edited by SueNJ97

It's worth this risk.. but see - I wonder what he'll do tot he chemistry.

Succubus says he's this amazing locker room presense...so what is this going to do to Jagr? I'm not in the locker room but it's something I'm really curious about -- Jagr appears to me to have some real chemistry sensativity. Shanny should be smart about it -- I'm trying to think how it'll all work together...

Do they work as a team th Czec leader and the NA leader? If Shanny shouts down Jagr or even if he just shouts over his message in a show of support yet still alienates Jagr... I just think it's a chemistry risk.

Honestly with the team developing as it is I wouldn't have done this... it's too old school rangers and too easy for players to bail on them as they always have in the past...to easy for it to become a ship with too many thus no rudder. To me it's too easily interpreted as impatience. But I can see how it could work too :noclue: We'll see is all I can think (as always huh?)

It's like clockwork, say anything bad about the Rangers and out will come mention of the M's. :giggle:

Look, they were BAD signings, in retrospect. I don't really blame him for Mogilny so much because Elias was out. He might have been out all year. Nobody knew. But I didn't like the Malakhov signing and I said so at the time. But I think we all know why it happened. Paging Mr. Niedermayer...oh, Mr. Niedermayer????

Lou shows loyalty...which Ranger fans always kick him for being a heartless bastard...and this is what happens, we have Malakhov on the cap for 3.6M this year.

Derek...we know they were bad signings. However, I am not going to automatically give the Rangers a pass for the next 20 years without questioning anything they do because of them. And there are a few things in the Shanny signing which are worth questioning. However, if it will make you feel better, anytime we post something about the Rangers where any of us question anything about the team, we can put this:

"Obligitory M&M contract reference, for Derek". Now, how many years do you want it there for?

I really do not understand how some of you can really knock this deal, saying how this is a move they made in the past, etc, etc. This isn't 3 years at 5 per, they didn't blow everyone out of the water on July 1 for this...this isn't the contract Brindamour got - I understand that was "thanks for winning the cup" but 5 years to a 35 year-old...nuts.

The one guy the rangers really went after (like the old rangers) was Elias...spending monster dollars to get a guy like that fine, but other than that, one year deals to older F's like Straka and Shanny who both had very good seasons last year makes sense and keeps flexibility going forward.

derek, in 97 shanny put up 17 points in 20 games, so we'll give him a pass there. but in 98 an astounding 9 points in 20 games. hardly productive

19 points in 23 games in 2002. i'll give him a pass there i guess.

none of them really great, 2 sufficient, one terrible

Edited by bruins4777

That might be one of the weakest arguements I've ever heard.

Yes, I am spinning these numbers...but still...

coming into the 2005-2006 playoffs.

Player A: .775 PPG in 150+ playoff games.

Player B: .767 PPG in 100+ playoff games.

any difference? Not really, right? Obviously one is Shanny (Player A), but player B...who is he? Well he is Mr 7 years $42,000,000, who yes, absolutely killed the rangers this post-season.

My point is this...if you say Shanahan can't get in done in the playoffs, you are saying the same thing about Elias so that is just a stupid point to make.

I don't like this signing, now the Rags have 2 40+ goal scorers?

Not lookin good.

Thank God For Elias :clap:

You really have no room to talk. At least they didn't overpay a washed up player. Or was that 3 last summer?

I like this move. For one year, it's fine. But the price is one million too much. Say what you will about Shanahan but he still has something left in the tank and can add some much needed grit to a Ranger team which was way too soft this past Spring. And still has that great one-timer which can become an added dimension to their predictable power play.

I also think it's nice to get a North American player who has Cup experience and knows what it takes to win. You put him on the second line with Cullen and Prucha and suddenly the dynamic changes.

Maybe even Prucha plays 3rd line which would make them even more difficult to play. That would give them a heck of a lot more balance than the predictable shadow job every team employed at the end.

I don't see how anyone could see this as a bad move. Thirty-six years old doesn't mean as much today as it did years ago...a number of players in all sports still contribute at a high level well into their 30s. Besides, Shanny's a guy who's a winner, unlike the Bures the Rangers used to stockpile. And if it doesn't work out, it's not like the Rangers have a long-term bad contract on their hands.

And he's coming off a 40-goal season. McGillis was pretty much washed-up, Malakhov wasn't even playing, and Mogilny was clearly injury-prone and not performing anywhere near up to his better seasons. Those signing were just begging to be the trainwrecks they became.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I don't see how anyone could see this as a bad move. Thirty-six years old doesn't mean as much today as it did years ago...a number of players in all sports still contribute at a high level well into their 30s. Besides, Shanny's a guy who's a winner, unlike the Bures the Rangers used to stockpile. And if it doesn't work out, it's not like the Rangers have a long-term bad contract on their hands.

And he's coming off a 40-goal season. McGillis was pretty much washed-up, Malakhov wasn't even playing, and Mogilny was clearly injury-prone and not performing anywhere near up to his better seasons. Those signing were just begging to be the trainwrecks they became.

I don't see it as a bad move, just not a good move. Shanahan has scored 3 playoff goals in the last 3 playoff years, his lack of scoring is one of the main reasons why the Wings haven't gone further in the playoffs. To me, Shanny floats way more than he used to - he's also 37 years old and on a one year deal. He had Pavel Datysuk as his center last year - this year it's going to be Martin Straka or Michal Nylander, a definite step down. I put his top end at 30 goals, and he's not the physical presence he was in the 90s.

In addition, if they move Straka or Nylander away from Jagr it hurts Jagr's production (particularly Straka).

Cullen will most likely be the center for Shanahan and that is a HUGE drop off from Yzerman, Datsyuk, Federov and Larionov that Shanahan is accustomed to

I don't see it as a bad move, just not a good move. Shanahan has scored 3 playoff goals in the last 3 playoff years, his lack of scoring is one of the main reasons why the Wings haven't gone further in the playoffs. To me, Shanny floats way more than he used to - he's also 37 years old and on a one year deal. He had Pavel Datysuk as his center last year - this year it's going to be Martin Straka or Michal Nylander, a definite step down. I put his top end at 30 goals, and he's not the physical presence he was in the 90s.

Yes, that's not terrific playoff production. Can't argue that.

I don't watch a whole lot of Red Wing games, so I can't say whether or not Shanny floats too much.

Will he score 40 goals as a Ranger? Probably not...the East tends to be more physical, and Detroit's style of play tends to bloat offensive numbers in much the same way that the Devils' style (especially during the Lemaire era) curbs them. And he will be playing with less talented centers (I'm curious to see what line he winds up skating on). But I still think it's a good move for the Rangers, at least for the regular season. We'll see soon enough whether or not Shanny can adjust to the tougher East. I think he can.

Nice evasion of the issue.

You are the same person who said the Rangers were nothing without Jagr. Now they finally go out and get a some much needed additional scoring and you rip that too. Would you do the same thing if it was the Devils? We both know the answer.

You are the same person who said the Rangers were nothing without Jagr. Now they finally go out and get a some much needed additional scoring and you rip that too. Would you do the same thing if it was the Devils? We both know the answer.

I, for one, think that Shanahan is a nice signing by Rangers. What remains to be seen, however, is whether he's too old. (Larionov was productive in Detroit, too...)