Newark, N.J., arena where Devils will play to be called Prudential Cen

Rock

Newark, N.J., arena where Devils will play to be called Prudential Center

http://www.thehockeynews.com/en/news/Detai...sp?xml=h010533A

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) - The New Jersey Devils' new downtown arena will be called the Prudential Center, team owner Jeff Vanderbeek said Friday.

Officials from the hockey team and Prudential Financial Inc. will announce the details at a news conference Monday. Vanderbeek declined to comment on the cost of the naming rights, but had said earlier that the deal would have Prudential pay the Devils about $5 million annually. He said the contract is for 20 years.

The $370 million arena is rising nearly across Broad Street from the world headquarters of the life insurance and investment giant in downtown Newark.

"It's an awesome deal for both parties," Vanderbeek said. "As the chairman of the Devils, I couldn't be happier with the corporate partnership of Prudential."

The city of Newark contributed $210 million to the arena, which was initially expected to cost $310 million. The Devils are paying for cost overruns, Vanderbeek said.

The arena will seat 17,615 people for hockey, 18,500 for basketball and 19,000 for concerts, he said.

The Devils now play at the Continental Airlines Arena in East Rutherford. The NHL team shares the building with the New Jersey Nets, whose new owner is moving forward with plans to build an arena for the NBA team in New York

I thought the arena was only meant for the Devils and that it? No basketball since what team would play in it except for college teams? I could understand concerts, but I always thought this new arena was for the Devils only.

I thought the arena was only meant for the Devils and that it? No basketball since what team would play in it except for college teams? I could understand concerts, but I always thought this new arena was for the Devils only.

I think if I have read right that NJIT will play basketball there along with possible Seton Hall. Also the Devils and the City of Newark are lobbying to get CAA closed. If that happens the Nets lease would probably be transferred to the Prudential Center.

What I would like to know is how the person that created this thread named himself after the nickname for the new arena years and years before anyone contemplated building it. :huh::)

Maybe they decided to honor me. :P If I continued to play goaltender and got a one piece mask. I was considering putting the Rock of Gibraltor on as a design. (I know it's pretty boring graphic wise.) :evil:

BTW I got the nick some 40 odd years ago. Before the Devils even existed! :D

Edited by Rock

Arrowhead Pond is ridiculous. It makes the Staples Center seem "meh." The Devils appear to have duplicated Arrowhead's open bar/restaurant that looks out over the mezzanine deck onto the ice idea. It's sick (in the good, SoCal way).

i hate the atmosphere at the anaheim (ex-pond) arena. The whole disney influence from marketing right down to the security staff just killed it for many years.

The staple center is large, but the huge lower bowl and 3 deck luxery box level and then the smaller upper deck is slick. Walking up to the arena, staple center looks like a building right out of the jetsons.

yes, the pond is first rate with all the marble laminate, brass fittings, etc. Staples you seem to get a more traditional NHL hockey atmosphere.

It had been toned way down by '03, the first 5 or so years it was really bad. They had the PA guy promoting disney movies, theme park passes, blah, blah, at every moment possible...combine that with the ignorant crowd, with many annoying spoiled brats in donald duck jerseys...

i would say it's a lot better now.

one other thing...the staple center has great acoustics!

Edited by ice dog