Can Your Favourite Player Make You Switch Teams?

devilsrule33

While I frequently lurk around this board and on the old one I seldom post because of this very topic. Today I feel the need to answer this question.

The Stars will always be my favorite hockey team (even if they signed Guerin, kept Eddie in net last year, I have to read one more article of how Modano has found his love of hockey again and what the status is with his long time girlfriend and Armstrong traded Joe and Jamie to simply put his mark on this team) just like I bleed red, white and Ranger blue during baseball season (and let me tell you it's tough to be a Ranger fan lately), loved the Mavericks since the first time they took the court (in spite of the fact that Nellie refuses to believe that you can't win championships without a big man in the paint) and heaven help me I love the Dallas Cowboys in spite of that idiot owner whose handling of the firing of Tom Landry was a disgrace.

I also love watching Dougie Weight play anywhere, when Dave Reid went to the Rolling Rocks I forced myself to watch those idiots, I got all teary to see Yzerman take the ice last night, my biggest problem with the Stars/DEvs SF finals I wanted Marty Brodeur (no offense, but I did get a little tired of seeing his wife) to be the winning goalie, but Derian Hatcher to be handed the cup. When Team Canada named the first 8 I was THRILLED to hear Nieds named called. Scott Stevens is in my opinion one of the the top 2 captains in the league.

I love hockey and pretty much the only team that I don't have at least one player I like to watch is the Rangers. The Stars will always be my team doesn't matter who they bring in or trade, but Joe will always be my favorite player even if (heaven help me) he plays for the Rolling Rocks or Rangers.

Thank you to those who have made us Dallasites feel welcome and to those who think we are strange for following a player,l I'm sorry if that offends you.

Devilminder sorry this turned into an essay on my love of sports feel free to delete/edit and now I'll go back to lurker mode.

Ok...time for me to add my 2 cents...

As ya'll know, I'm a huge fan of J&J...But first and foremost, I am a Dallas Stars' fan...

That being said, if anyone is still reading my reply...I am STILL a huge fan of J&J and because they are here with the Devils, strange as it may seem, the Devils are now my 2nd favorite team.....I have ALWAYS respected the Devils...just never thought of them as a "favorite" team until J&J arrived, and I started coming here to the boards, and met all ya'll nice people and *really* started watching the Devils' games ..

J&J will always be very special players and a huge part of the Stars' legacy team in my heart and mind and nothing can or will ever change that for me.

I second that. I was always admired the Devils before they took the cup from Dallas and I hated you then ... I was at that game in Dallas and I was crying my eyes. When I heard about J&J getting traded to NJ I was very upset, but I more upset about Arnott coming here than them going there. The more I watch the Devils the more I like them. I always heard they had no fans etc and etc. But now I know that the fans the devils have are just great! You all seem to be knowledgable about hockey and the team. Stars will always be my favorite team but the Devils are growing on me. At least I am pretty much over the fact that you took the cup from the Stars. The great thing about this board though is that there is a mix of fans from different teams. It helps to make this not only a devils but an NHl wide board.

I will always be a devs fan first and foremost, no matter what (well, except in the event of a whole Dallas Cowboy type dismantling (and who forgot to mention Danny White in the list of Cowboys players??)). :)

I do however, admit to having a second fav team- the Habs- that I enjoy following. They are however, never allowed to beat us under any circumstances.

I also can fully understand following a players progress when they leave your team. I proudly admit to being a Lemieux fan- Pepe of course. So, I've seen many Avs, Coyotes and now Stars games just because. Now that Chimo is in Russia, I have started to follow the Russian Superleague and the European tournaments (which is actually lots of fun).

I still am Devils 100%, but I follow some ex-players: Sykora, Arnott, Mogilny, Lemieux, Shanahan, McKay, Gilmour, etc.

I actually like other teams too tho, it's just that I root for the Devils above all. No matter who the Devils are playing, I root for them. But I like the Bruins, Canadiens, Stars, Wild, Red Wings, etc. Once in a while I see a Flyers game and am entertained, but because of the division I never root for them. I think the untouchables to like are in your own division.

Once in a while I see a Flyers game and am entertained, but because of the division I never root for them.

As a Yankee fan, the only thing almost as important to me as the Yankees winning another World Championship is watching the Red Sox flop and fold. I've found having a distaste for another organization (i.e. Red Sox, Heat, Rangers, Flyers ) can almost equal the passion you have for for your own team.

ask a Laker fan how the feel about the celtics.

or a SF Giant fan how the feel about the dodgers...

these rivalries and battles, when taken in the context of sport, are what makes sports as great as they are.

Well, I'm gonna go against the majority opinion, and I'm sure no one on this board is surprised by my take on this topic!

When I was a teenager I was a huge fan of Charlie Waters, of the Cowboys. Thankfully, he was always a Cowboy. But if he had been traded, my loyalty would have shifted then, too. And the only other athlete I've felt that way about is Joe Nieuwendyk. I didn't even know who he was until he came to the Stars! But he made such a big impact, and I just love his overall character and heart and skill. So when he was traded it immediately changed my loyalties. I cried, I was angry, I was sad every time I thought about it, for a long time. And I started following Devils games as much as I could on the internet and NHL 2Nite. And I found this message board, which was awesome. As long as Joe is playing, I'll follow him. I seriously doubt there will ever be another hockey player who I'll be that loyal to.

But there is a limit! Not just any team would work. If Joe had stayed in the WC, that would have been much harder - I couldn't cheer for the Avs or the Wings or heaven forbid, the Sharks! I would just have to hope that Joe did well, but his team didn't. Right now I can have 2 teams - the Stars and the Devils, and if they meet, then it's great for both! And I've already said that I want the Devils to win the SCF, even over the Stars, because it's Joe's team.

So there - that goes against everything the rest of you feel. :P

And when Joe retires, the Stars will be my #1 again, but I'll still follow the Devils. They'll be my #1 in the East.

Losing one player would not change my fan status. However a whole convergence of events might, I must confess, otherwise I'd still be an Isles fan!

I really like the Devils style of play. So I'd imagine if Lou went and say Glen Sather replaced him I just suspect the Devils would lose their allure for me. I'd still be a fan -- well that's it -- I'd probably abandon hockey - I

Well, I've sort of been there before when the Yankees didn't resign my favorite player, Tino Martinez, before last season. (I guess that's different than trading him, but whatever lol) I'll watch a Cardinals game every so often now since that's the team he plays for and I still follow how he does, but in no way would I say I'm a fan of his new team. I'm still a die-hard Yanks fan, even after they traded one of my other favorites this past season. The same goes for the Devils. I'll always like the team because that's who I've rooted for all the time I've been into hockey. (when I was really, really little I sort of liked the Rangers because they were my dad's favorite team, but when I got really into hockey when I was like 10, I always liked the Devs because I went to a game on a school trip and got hooked on them, hehe) Arnott was one of my favorite players last year and I was upset when they traded him, but now I'm fine with it because I really like Nieuwy and Jamie. I don't really even follow Arnie anymore. And if they traded Gionta this season I'd still like the team too. I think that if you're willing to change teams just because of one player, you were never a true fan anyway.

I should clear that up... I didn't mean to say I am offended by people who follow players first, but I just can't see saying that "I am no longer a Devils fan because Petr Sykora was tradeed", that to me kinda shows you weren't a fan of the team in the first place.. that's cool.. just don't go around calling yourself a fan of the team (yeah for those who know me off of here, I am referring to the "Julie effect", the alleged Devils fan who cries and pouts when her crappy players do bad against the Devils and still claims to be a Devils fan but whined for days when Berglund was sent down (how did i put up with that :P )... so once again I'm not trashing people who pick players first.. just try to pick a TEAM though.. you're cheating yourself out of the high s and lows that come with it (at least if you ask me)... ok I'm done now *l*

Loyalty to the team, especially today with free agency. Am I a Holik fan? I "respect" him and his abilities as a player, however, I am looking forward to him getting his arse kicked tonight.

Thank you for the Cups and playing hard for the Devs Bob, but Scotty could have had a big payday also and was loyal to the team that won him two Cups.

There is no more loyalty to a team and or a company for that matter in this Country. Values, loyalty (and trust)... Ken Daneyko and #4, hang the banners in the rafters today!

Just look at the fact that if you were a Boston fan and watched as Bourque stated that he wanted to be traded to a team to win a Cup (as he did). How would you feel? I don't care what Ray did for the organization over his career with the Bruins, to me he's a traitor and would have gained more respect if he stayed with the team that gave him the money, a great place to play and raise a family.

I think there are a few Boston fans that agree with that statement.