My Matvichuk rant

SC Devs Fan

I wonder if Richard will file some type of grievence... while he is 'injured' I have the feeling he's just been sitting for cap problems, and at this stage of his career this year off could cost him dearly in the future. While I'd love it if I had a paid year off, at the latter stages of his career missing this year because of cap concerns could really effect him with a future contract. That and I have to wonder if future FAs look at this and think if it can happen to him I can happen to me too, might be better to sign somewhere else. At this point the best he can hope is to be activated for the playoffs, but who knows how well he will play being thrust into that situation, and if he's too rusty and plays like crap then it will hurt him even more.

Sorry, I'm just frustrated we have a really good player who is just sitting and eating popcorn with Albelin.

I don't believe he will come back just for the playoffs - Matvichuk was super rusty after the lockout, and that's basically what he's gone through again.

The Devils are under no obligation to play him if he did come back - they could just dump him in the minors if they so chose. I don't think that greivance would go anywhere.

my guess is that we're not seeing richard this year at all - I'm sure they would have sent him to AHL for a "conditioning assignment" to get him up to game speed if they had any intention of him playing this season

As for him personnally, I'm sure he would have demanded a trade if he thought he was in playing condition and this was hurting his future - since he didn't, my guess is he's worked something out with lou.

what about weimer

What about him?

Clarkson does all the same thing but has more offensive upside

hopefully even at full strength we find a spot for him

He'd be a nice 4th liner with Rupp/Rassmussen/Dowd/Pelley (some combination of the 5 obviously)

kid's been all over the place since his callup

matvichuk Can play during the playoffs right? or can he not play because he hasnt played in enough (or any)games this season??

I though you could still play in the playoffs if you were on injured reserve all year, no?

I believe he could come in any time and be productive almost instantly for our team.... but right now we need Gionta, Elias, and Madden More.

matvichuk Can play during the playoffs right? or can he not play because he hasnt played in enough (or any)games this season??

I though you could still play in the playoffs if you were on injured reserve all year, no?

I believe he could come in any time and be productive almost instantly for our team.... but right now we need Gionta, Elias, and Madden More.

Note this update on Matvichuk status from http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=e...2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2 in this thread: http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30326

Richard's return

Defenseman Richard Matvichuk's long wait to return from off-season back surgery appears to be nearing an end. Matvichuk spent some extra time at the end of Monday's practice battling teammates in the corner to prepare for the physical play of games.

He still doesn't know when he will play, but has gotten the word from general manager Lou Lamoriello that he will play this season.

"I was told to get ready to play, so I'm getting ready to play," he said.

Matvichuk, who has yet to receive medical clearance, did not accompany the team for the first three games of this five-game trip, so the earliest he would play would probably be March 27 against the Islanders.

Matvichuk will get in the lineup when his pro-rated salary winds down enough that Lou can fit him in under the cap. I was guessing that he'd be in when the Devils hit the Coliseum on March 27th as well. It would be great to get him back for a few games before the playoffs. I guess Greene and someone else would have to go to Lowell, right? :noclue: This new CBA has cost me more in Ibuprofen than game tickets. :argh:

Oh, and Richard can play in the playoffs regardless of how many games he's played during the season.

Matvichuk will get in the lineup when his pro-rated salary winds down enough that Lou can fit him in under the cap. I was guessing that he'd be in when the Devils hit the Coliseum on March 27th as well. It would be great to get him back for a few games before the playoffs. I guess Greene and someone else would have to go to Lowell, right? :noclue: This new CBA has cost me more in Ibuprofen than game tickets. :argh:

Oh, and Richard can play in the playoffs regardless of how many games he's played during the season.

The salary is the same on a daily basis no matter what. It doesn't change, it doesn't shrink with time. The question is, does the amount that NJ has somehow 'saved' in the cap bank allow him to fit before the playoffs? With all these injuries, I'm not sure.

Didn't Bettman issue some "pre-emptive strike" ruling in regards to a player in a similar situation? I want to say it was Tim Connolly of the Sabres. Basically, the ruling was that if he's been on IR a good chunk of the season and he doesn't come off until after the regular season, he's ineligible for the first round of the playoffs. I saw it in one of the threads here, and while I don't have time to look it up right now, hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about.

Matvitchuk has not been cleared to play for the Devils. He has been practicing with the team lately but is not ready to comeback. Lou would have brought him up somehow by now.

I agree that we do need Elias, Gionta and Madden right now but need them more when the playoffs begin.

Weimer has had off season surgery and is out for this whole season.

Matvichuk can't file a grievance any more than some player that gets sent to the minors (like Marshall) can file one. He's still getting paid. Besides with the frequency at which he got hurt last year an extended break might not be the worst thing for his career.

I thought the Devils might take Matvichuk off IR once they put Gionta on it if it was a straight cap decision (not to take Matvichuk off IR), they should have had the cap room to bring him back without Gionta now I think?

Matvichuk can't file a grievance any more than some player that gets sent to the minors (like Marshall) can file one. He's still getting paid. Besides with the frequency at which he got hurt last year an extended break might not be the worst thing for his career.

I thought the Devils might take Matvichuk off IR once they put Gionta on it if it was a straight cap decision (not to take Matvichuk off IR), they should have had the cap room to bring him back without Gionta now I think?

Didn't Bettman issue some "pre-emptive strike" ruling in regards to a player in a similar situation? I want to say it was Tim Connolly of the Sabres. Basically, the ruling was that if he's been on IR a good chunk of the season and he doesn't come off until after the regular season, he's ineligible for the first round of the playoffs. I saw it in one of the threads here, and while I don't have time to look it up right now, hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about.

I found it:

http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?act...&pid=443962

Clown, where'd you hear that?