DEVILS SIGN VITALY VISHNEVSKI

HellOnICE

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

haha Lou just never releases information on his signings - I won't consider it confirmed until TSN/sportsnet puts it up as legitimate.

Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) actually seems like he might've gotten one right.

Anyway, VV is TOUGH - he's also been on some teams that've gone deep into the playoffs. I think he's an upgrade over Lukowich - he's younger, faster, and more physical - his only downside is his positioning but I think we've got Kool-Aid for that.

haha Lou just never releases information on his signings - I won't consider it confirmed until TSN/sportsnet puts it up as legitimate.

Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) actually seems like he might've gotten one right.

Anyway, VV is TOUGH - he's also been on some teams that've gone deep into the playoffs. I think he's an upgrade over Lukowich - he's younger, faster, and more physical - his only downside is his positioning but I think we've got Kool-Aid for that.

he might think he's doing this with Rachunek. But Rachunek only has 12 power play goals in his career.

Sure looks like we're leaving a ton of cap space available though. Wild speculation - could the Devils be looking to sign Parise before they sign Souray, so as to avoid a Vanek scenario?

he might think he's doing this with Rachunek. But Rachunek only has 12 power play goals in his career.

Sure looks like we're leaving a ton of cap space available though. Wild speculation - could the Devils be looking to sign Parise before they sign Souray, so as to avoid a Vanek scenario?

That is just a great point. I think you are right. That would make sense given that Gulitti said the Devils were going after Souray, since Gulitti probably got that directly from Lou. It also fits with what the nhlline.ca people said (if you can believe anything over there) about the Devils "not chasing" Souray anymore.

I think Lou lost the rest of his hair when he saw the Vanek scenario and considering how many GM's don't like the Devils and Lou, he is on that like white on rice.

As for Rachunek, well I thought this was a rebuilding year, but to me it looks like Lou is serious about making a Cup run this year, while Brodeur is still young enough (and now rested).... so I do not think Lou thinks Rachunek is the PP answer. I think he took a small chance on a big, strong d-man who will play for his next contract and a real payday. And he does add depth.

Lou is also restoring his reputation. This is clear.

if my rumors were that bad i would be banned. i post the stuff that is found on hf boards, hockey buzz, and the fourth period and specifically state they are rumors.

I would appreciate if you stop littering the forums with bad rumors, but your free to post as you may as its not posting false signings... just a bunch of false hearsay by a bunch of bored hockey fans.

i think this signing may add to the speculation that maybe gionta/white are going to van for ohlund and others so we'll have that offensive defensman and get out of the souray sweepstakes. i hope not, i love gio, but maybe the devs will give bergfors a serious look this season.

i don't know much about ohlund, is he really all that good? what is his contract like?

Edited by xxchaznjxx

YES!!!! Brillant move by Lou. This is a fantastic signing and complements the Rachenuk signing.

VV will allow Martin to finally play on the PP full time.

Rachenuk is a very good PP man and had 4PP goals while playing on the 2nd PP unit in NY and in Ottawa he also played behind Chara and Redden. Martin will finally break the 40+ mark this year.

Our PK is also upgraded and we don't have to rush Green and Oduya unneccesarily.

IN LOU WE TRUST.

Now to work on the CENTER position which is in the most need.

IN LOU WE TRUST.

Now to work on the CENTER position which is in the most need.

Our Centers are Zubrus, Zajac, ZMadden, ZRupp, ZBrylin

I don't see us getting another unless we sign Arnott and play him on the PP point. But I think Martin moves to 1st PP unit as you suggest.

i think this signing may add to the speculation that maybe gionta/white are going to van for ohlund and others so we'll have that offensive defensman and get out of the souray sweepstakes. i hope not, i love gio, but maybe the devs will give bergfors a serious look this season.

i don't know much about ohlund, is he really all that good? what is his contract like?

Trading Gionta for an offensive defenseman would be counterproductive. We would be trading one of our main, or at least hopefully main goal scorers, for a D-man. While Gionta may be capable of a 25-30 goal season, a D-man like Ohlund would score at most 15 goals. It doesn't make sense to trade Gionta for a D-man if we are trying to improve our offense.

Our Centers are Zubrus, Zajac, ZMadden, ZRupp, ZBrylin

I don't see us getting another unless we sign Arnott and play him on the PP point. But I think Martin moves to 1st PP unit as you suggest.

Zubrus is better on the wing as are Rupp and Brylin. The only quality centers we have are: Madden and Zajac.

We don't need any forwards to play the PP point, if someone gets hurt it will be Langenbrunner.

This deal only solidifies our defense and means there is no reason to acquire Ohlund regardless of how good he is. Gionta isn't going anywhere.

solidies our defense???? Are you serious?

The offensive output of this defense is a joke. It was a joke last year, and the best guy leaves. I'm sorry Martin could improve a bit, but Rachunek and Martin aren't going to cover that difference. Even if it did, you piss and moan about Souray not being defensively responsible. Vishnevski? was a healthy scratch during some of the playoff. Rachunek? The guy isn't much of a defenseman either. Oduya isn't anything special, and Greene is still a rookie.

OK they are cheap!

Fantastic.

There are no more centers. They've all been signed. Zubrus is the guy. I'm also skeptical as to whether he's more effective on the wing.

Arnott isn't being moved - Nashville still has to hit the salary floor somehow, they're way below it as is. I see a move being made for Derian Hatcher in their future, or maybe Rathje's dead salary.

Rachunek isn't anywhere close to Rafalski in terms of a PP QB, and Zubrus is a step down from Gomez on the power play, and our power play sucked as it is last year. Clarkson's an upgrade on Brylin, but our PP is guaranteed to be in the bottom third, and probably in the bottom sixth in the coming NHL season without a Souray-like upgrade.

That said, we've already got 7 defenders signed for next season with VV in the fold. That means if we did sign Souray (which I'm doubting more) - either Oduya or Greene in the minors - I think Oduya's waiver-eligible - Matvichuk being waived or a deal to be made with Paul Martin - but who's selling for 1 year of Paul Martin?

HOI - VV was a healthy scratch in Nashville because their defense plays a different game than ours.

Edited by Triumph

Tri i think the PP offense is fine. I think Zubrus will be a fine replacement, depending on how Patrik can Gionta adjust to have a guy with size on their line. Zubrus isn't as skilled as Arnott was, but if he throw his body around, make some rom for the wings, this line could be a very very good line. I think Zuby will allow Elias to focus more on keeping it simple, and Gionta will continue to do what he does.

Souray could put the PP in the top 10, maybe even top 5.

Souray is the best offensive D man left.

Trouble is he is also the worst defensive Dman left.

I think Lou isnt willing to spend stupid money on him, which is what souray wants.

This is one of lou's 2 other big defencemen.

One left.

NJ was 15th in the PP last season so it wasn't great but it didn't stink either. The forwards will be improved this coming season on the PP but the defenseman are weaker. We went from Raffy-Langs-White-Martin to Martin-Langs-Rachunek-Greene. The first pairing is worse, but possibly not by a ton, and the second pairing is improved. I say the PP stays about the same to slightly worse.

NJ was 15th in the PP last season so it wasn't great but it didn't stink either. The forwards will be improved this coming season on the PP but the defenseman are weaker. We went from Raffy-Langs-White-Martin to Martin-Langs-Rachunek-Greene. The first pairing is worse, but possibly not by a ton, and the second pairing is improved. I say the PP stays about the same to slightly worse.

Chaimara, Souray isn't possibly the worst defenseman left. Come on. Besides, Lou is signing these defensive wizards in Oduya, Rachunek, VV, don't tell me Souray is so far beyond the defensive realm of sucking.

White-Martin

Matvichuk-Souray

Vishnevsky-Greene

That's a pretty damned good defense.

We have a great team defense, a world class goaltender. Whatever Souray lacked in Montreal, his game will improve inside the system defensively and any mistakes he can make will be covered a helluva lot more than when he was in Montreal.