Niedermayer to wait until Sept to decide on Retirement

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

It was weird to see Ducks GM at the NHL Entry Draft when he told TSN that he told Niedermayer and Selanne to take as much time as they needed. His theory was that if Niedermayer didn't come back - it didn't matter because he couldn't replace him by way of a RFA signing or trade.

I would think you would want to know ASAP to allow for cap moves.

I can't see Devils retiring his number, since the way he left..Also, if they were going to retire his number, they would not give the number 27 to David Clarkson.

I'm sure Anaheim will retire his number..Ala Raymond Bourque with the Colorado Avalanche.Yikes.

It was weird to see Ducks GM at the NHL Entry Draft when he told TSN that he told Niedermayer and Selanne to take as much time as they needed. His theory was that if Niedermayer didn't come back - it didn't matter because he couldn't replace him by way of a RFA signing or trade.

I would think you would want to know ASAP to allow for cap moves.

The Ducks want Niedermayer back. They did what Lou didnt/couldnt. They went on the assumption that he was gone, and if he decides to play again, they will make it work. But by doing it this way, they made sure they didnt miss out on Schneider/Rafalski. If Niedermayer comes back, they can make room for him. He's Scott fvcking Nidermayer, not Dan McGillis.

Exactly. I'm sure he knows precisely how much of his 6.75 M per year he will see in his bank account. And he saw what happened to Stevens.

Personally I pray that he retires, winning just 1 Cup & Smythe Trophy while not wearing Red & Black.

Hang 'em up Scotty !

What i don't understand is,Why Niedermayer wants to retire now?I know he has won everything(Memorial Cup."Gold Medal..4stanley Cup..James Noris,Conn Smyth ect.)But, why don't he respect his contract, play 2more years then you can retire at 36years old, which makes way more sens.Plus, if he comes back, Ducks has an other shot at the Stanley Cup, their defense top 4 will be the best in the Nhl: Pronger-Nieder,Schneider-Beauchemin.And plus..Its not like he's getting paid 3millions-2.5millions.He'll get 6.2millions or 6.4(I can't remember) .But..Niedermayer is Niedermayer.If he wants to retire to get more time with his family, i respect that.The only thing i hope is he'll not do the same thing with Favre..'I'm gonna retire, oh no nvm, i'm coming for the next season" Ect..

Edited by TravisZajac

I can't see Devils retiring his number, since the way he left..Also, if they were going to retire his number, they would not give the number 27 to David Clarkson.

I'm sure Anaheim will retire his number..Ala Raymond Bourque with the Colorado Avalanche.Yikes.

Now this is a good thread idea...if Nieds retires, should the Devs retire his number or give that task to Anahiem, which in my mind would be terrible, just as TZ said.

Personally, I think the Devs should retire his number...but they wont. Most of his carrear accomplishments happened while he played for us, he was an important part part of our championship teams and he left the Devs to play with his brother for less money...can't kill the guy for that...