Devils sign F Arron Asham

empulse27

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Possibly and a healthy scratch for most of the season. Looks like Lou threw away $500,000 this season on Janssen who the Devils no longer need.

And what's wrong with that? Not like we're strapped for cap room. We'll have about $4M in space once Martin is signed.

And Janssen will still serve his purpose. He'll be in there against teams like Ottawa.

Edited by Voros19

Janssen isn't so bad that the other team will automatically score every time he's on the ice. We put worse lines on the ice last season and the team didn't spontaneously lose the game.

He's actually not terrible from a defensive standpoint, but by no means is he good. I would like to see him play the puck rather than the body from time to time, and I do think that is something he can improve upon with time. Actually, the he played, the better he did seem to get with it. Not good enough to say he deserves a spot on the roster, but good enough to realize that he CAN be utilized when playing physical teams. He won't be a terrible liability on the ice.

I hope Asham won't be a liability, either, as he is known for taking bad penalties -- think it's something he'll be able to clean up a bit by playing with the Devils and potentially having a Madden/Pando combo for linemates. With that said, he's likely destined for the fourth line though.

Regardless of whether or not Asham will be a worthwhile goal scorer...Janssen and Asham should definitely add plenty of penalty minutes to the team stats.

Hey if you can't beat 'em....um... beat 'em.

Opps my bad. Totally forgot about that. Then it will be bye bye to Janssen as well or he will be a season long healthy scratch or even trade bait if some team wants some dead wood. :lol:

That dead wood is a hell of a lot more fun to watch then Arron Asham.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like Asham as a player. He is a GREAT fourth line player(and by GREAT I mean great by fourth line standards). He can score some goals and drop the gloves when asked of him.

That being said, if you think teams are gonna make note of Asham on a lineup card over Janssen on a lineup card, your out of your fing bird. Janssen makes you look up, and he makes you make sure your aware when he is on the bench because you don't want the first time your caught with your head down being your last.

You and Bettman have alot in common, by eliminating your definitions of "dead wood", your eliminating what makes hockey watchable.

:rolleyes:

That dead wood is a hell of a lot more fun to watch then Arron Asham.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like Asham as a player. He is a GREAT fourth line player(and by GREAT I mean great by fourth line standards). He can score some goals and drop the gloves when asked of him.

That being said, if you think teams are gonna make note of Asham on a lineup card over Janssen on a lineup card, your out of your fing bird. Janssen makes you look up, and he makes you make sure your aware when he is on the bench because you don't want the first time your caught with your head down being your last.

You and Bettman have alot in common, by eliminating your definitions of "dead wood", your eliminating what makes hockey watchable.

:rolleyes:

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Imagine a line of:

Janssen/Rupp/Asham

Who would want to play against that line????

Imagine a line of:

Janssen/Rupp/Asham

Pound for pound the toughest line in hockey. Although none of them are heavyweights, Janssen can stand toe to toe with just about anyone, Rupp handles the middleweights pretty well, and Asham is willing to drop if need be. Throw in Clarkson and you have some fiesty fourthers.

Janssen is going to play between 30-50 games this year. He's not going anywhere. Arron Asham is a decent fighter but he can't take on guys like Neil or McGrattan or Laraque. Neither can Cam really, but he will anyway.

Bingo.

I don't expect Janssen to play 70+ games, I would be ignorant to think so...but if you think this team gains something by losing Cam's physicality, your crazy.

Janssen is going to play between 30-50 games this year. He's not going anywhere. Arron Asham is a decent fighter but he can't take on guys like Neil or McGrattan or Laraque. Neither can Cam really, but he will anyway.

Asham has already fought Neil. It was about even if i remeber right. It was when Asham had the bad eye too.

Imagine a line of:

Janssen/Rupp/Asham

I can only hope this is a preview of what a line with Janssen/Rupp/Asham could do...check it out...

Edited by Guest

Agreed. Asham is a tough guy but he is no match for the true heavyweights. Cam will continue to answer the bell for the big tilts.

The Portage La Prairie, Manitoba native went on to post career highs in 2002-03, with 15 goals and 19 assists for 34 points. In 421 career games with the Canadiens and Islanders, Asham has collected 58 goals and 67 assists for 125 points.

Yuck