DEVS NEW HOME A DIAMOND ... IN ROUGH

SC Devs Fan

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10202007/sport...mond_____in.htm

By MARK (N)Єverson

October 20, 2007 -- The Rock is a gem. Absolutely. The setting is the issue, the crux of its creation being the $210 million the Devils received from Newark to use their fans as security test cases to launch the city's revival.

After Bon Jovi opens the soaring and spectacular Newark arena with the first of 10 shows Thursday, the nomadic Devils finally will stage their home opener next Saturday. Until then, they remain a road team, visiting the Islanders tonight and the Rangers on Thursday to complete their nine-game homeless start.

They'll be welcomed to a world-class arena. The sight lines are superb, the imaginative choices for ways to enjoy a game varied and attractive, if costly. But the bells and whistles won't mean much if there aren't enough whistles attached to police outside, before and especially after games, when the Devils hope fans party past midnight.

"NJPAC [the performing arts center] had the same concerns, but I don't believe there's been one reportable crime there in 10 years," Devils owner Jeff Vanderbeek said yesterday after personally guiding media around the arena. It's still far from finished, but it's in acceptable shape for starters, far better than some other new rinks when they opened.

"[i believe] this will be a safe arena," Vanderbeek said. "I think over time [concerns] will go away. I can't change it overnight. People will have to come here and see for themselves."

Parking remains a concern. The Devils urge use of public transportation, an option highly inconvenient for New Jerseyans north and west of the city. The Devs plan to operate shuttle buses from parking lots, but finding a lot with space will be a hit-or-miss and potentially time-consuming proposition.

Vanderbeek suggested that much of the fans' security will be provided by themselves, walking in numbers from Penn Station, from the light rail, and from nearby lots. He said there will be a significant police presence in the area.

The Devils and Newark simply cannot afford even a single arena-patron tragedy in a city that annually suffers 100 homicides.

Vanderbeek said the Devils have sold some 11,000 season tickets (41 games) and another 72,000 single-game seats.

The Devils plan to withhold some 200, $10 seats for each game day.

When fans are inside, they'll be enthralled. It will make the Garden pedestrian, as long as the pedestrians are secure.

The Devils seek to rebound from a 4-0 loss in Philadelphia on Thursday that snapped a two-game winning streak. It was the second time the Devils were blanked in four games, scoring 11 in the two between.

mark.(N)Єverson@nypost.com

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shouldn't be replying to anything Neverson related, but I can't help myself.

Notice how the idiot didn't have a direct response when Jeff mentioned how safe NJPAC is?

Before last year, the last time the city had 100 murders or more was in 1991. Not exactly annual. And how many of them are white suburbanites? How many of them were in the downtown CBD?

Mass transit is kinda inconvienent from Bergen County, but the Pascack Valley line is adding service next Sunday anyway, and Bergenites will be able to use Secaucus Junction to transfer(just like they do for Yankees, Mets, MSG, etc.) And the last time I checked, the Morris/Essex lines(west Jersey) run every day and into the night to/from Broad St. How is that inconvienent?

What a retard.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10202007/sport...mond_____in.htm

By MARK (N)Єverson

October 20, 2007 -- The Rock is a gem. Absolutely. The setting is the issue, the crux of its creation being the $210 million the Devils received from Newark to use their fans as security test cases to launch the city's revival.

After Bon Jovi opens the soaring and spectacular Newark arena with the first of 10 shows Thursday, the nomadic Devils finally will stage their home opener next Saturday. Until then, they remain a road team, visiting the Islanders tonight and the Rangers on Thursday to complete their nine-game homeless start.

They'll be welcomed to a world-class arena. The sight lines are superb, the imaginative choices for ways to enjoy a game varied and attractive, if costly. But the bells and whistles won't mean much if there aren't enough whistles attached to police outside, before and especially after games, when the Devils hope fans party past midnight.

"NJPAC [the performing arts center] had the same concerns, but I don't believe there's been one reportable crime there in 10 years," Devils owner Jeff Vanderbeek said yesterday after personally guiding media around the arena. It's still far from finished, but it's in acceptable shape for starters, far better than some other new rinks when they opened.

"[i believe] this will be a safe arena," Vanderbeek said. "I think over time [concerns] will go away. I can't change it overnight. People will have to come here and see for themselves."

Parking remains a concern. The Devils urge use of public transportation, an option highly inconvenient for New Jerseyans north and west of the city. The Devs plan to operate shuttle buses from parking lots, but finding a lot with space will be a hit-or-miss and potentially time-consuming proposition.

Vanderbeek suggested that much of the fans' security will be provided by themselves, walking in numbers from Penn Station, from the light rail, and from nearby lots. He said there will be a significant police presence in the area.

The Devils and Newark simply cannot afford even a single arena-patron tragedy in a city that annually suffers 100 homicides.

Vanderbeek said the Devils have sold some 11,000 season tickets (41 games) and another 72,000 single-game seats.

The Devils plan to withhold some 200, $10 seats for each game day.

When fans are inside, they'll be enthralled. It will make the Garden pedestrian, as long as the pedestrians are secure.

The Devils seek to rebound from a 4-0 loss in Philadelphia on Thursday that snapped a two-game winning streak. It was the second time the Devils were blanked in four games, scoring 11 in the two between.

mark.(N)Єverson@nypost.com

I don't think the season ticket or single game numbers include any partial ticket sales? It would be pretty encouraging if those numbers weren't included.

Or are they counting partial ticket sales as part as the single seats sold? Even with that the 12,750 average goes up to 13,000 with around the $10 single-game seats they're leaving available, I'm sure they'll wind up selling out that section every night.

I do think they'll have problems with the lower bowl, the corners are overpriced as usual. Most teams don't get that people would rather sit in any upper section than deal with the problems of watching a game sitting in the lower corner, unless they're in a front row and get jollies from banging the glass.

Of course (N)Єverson has to get his potshots in. I'm personally glad I don't have to drive to Newark. Even though it only would take me a half hour to get there that's without traffic and not including time actually driving through the city to get to the arena. Plus I'm sure the lots will cost a fortune :P

And honestly I'd just rather not drive into Newark anyway, I don't want to buy all the negative hype but why do something you don't have to do. Everyone should be fine with mass transit though, especially since either you're walking to the arena during the day or when you walk out at night you're with the crowd.

Edited by Hasan4978

What a pile of garbage. How the team even allows this ass into their buildnig is beyond me. Way to breeze by the overwhelming positives and make something out of nothing. No mention of the Newark PD special events unit that will have at least 60 cops around the arena on event nights...ah, forget it. This zilch isn't worth the time it takes to write up a thought out response.

I don't think the season ticket or single game numbers include any partial ticket sales? It would be pretty encouraging if those numbers weren't included.

Or are they counting partial ticket sales as part as the single seats sold? Even with that the 12,750 average goes up to 13,000 with the single-game seats they're leaving available, I'm sure they'll wind up selling out that section every night.

I do think they'll have problems with the lower bowl, the corners are overpriced as usual. Most teams don't get that people would rather sit in any upper section than deal with the problems of watching a game sitting in the lower corner, unless they're in a front row and get jollies from banging the glass.

Of course (N)Єverson has to get his potshots in. I'm personally glad I don't have to drive to Newark. Even though it only would take me a half hour to get there that's without traffic and not including time actually driving through the city to get to the arena. Plus I'm sure the lots will cost a fortune :P

And honestly I'd just rather not drive into Newark anyway, I don't want to buy all the negative hype but why do something you don't have to do. Everyone should be fine with mass transit though, especially since either you're walking to the arena during the day or when you walk out at night you're with the crowd.

I thought those yellow ($100) seats were in the second tier? The uppermost tier which I consider the third tier has tickets $35 and lower.

There are some corner seats $115 ($95 for sth's) according to the price structure I have but they're by the glass mostly, there's also $95 seats there that go down to $78 for season ticket holders.

I thought those yellow ($100) seats were in the second tier? The uppermost tier which I consider the third tier has tickets $35 and lower.

There are some corner seats $115 ($95 for sth's) according to the price structure I have but they're by the glass mostly, there's also $95 seats there that go down to $78 for season ticket holders.

Vanderbeek suggested that much of the fans' security will be provided by themselves, walking in numbers from Penn Station, from the light rail, and from nearby lots

that's right, band together...street justice! LOL!

Just think what an adventure it will be!

Going to a devils game will be just like the movie "The Warriors"

They've got one chance...

They've got one night...

Miles behind enemy lines...in Newark...

Devils fans...come out and play...

can you dig it? CAN YOU DIG IT!

399px-TheWarriors_1979_Movie_Poster.jpg

Warriors...come out and play...

800px-Comeouttoplay.JPG

Before last year, the last time the city had 100 murders or more was in 1991. Not exactly annual. And how many of them are white suburbanites? How many of them were in the downtown CBD?

I was thinking that when I read the article. As is the case in most cities, I'm sure these homicides are no doubt "lifestyle related".

The biggest problem for using rail from Bergen is the cost. $15.75 rt from the Ramsey station (has the most free parking) and over an hour trip. The trip time doens't bother me as much as the cost. :o I have a large family and even if only half of us go to a game it's still about $45.00 just to get to the arena. So as much as I wanted to train it in, we have to drive. Can't wait to see how much the lots charge.

LETS GO DEVILS!

The biggest problem for using rail from Bergen is the cost. $15.75 rt from the Ramsey station (has the most free parking) and over an hour trip. The trip time doens't bother me as much as the cost. :o I have a large family and even if only half of us go to a game it's still about $45.00 just to get to the arena. So as much as I wanted to train it in, we have to drive. Can't wait to see how much the lots charge.

LETS GO DEVILS!

I've seen the luxury box number stated separately when Vanderbeek has discussed season tickets. I remember he said something like 64 out of 72 sold. I don't think they will be in trouble attendance-wise. The increased potential for walk-up sales from college kids and office workers plus the curiousity factor should mean we draw much better this year. I'm not saying we sellout the season but they wil average 15,500+ with 10-15 legitimate sellouts. Hell we're at 5 already if you presume the Ranger games and the opener sellout. I wouldn't be shocked to see the Toronto game and the Islander game pull in some big crowds as well early in the season. Mid-week games will still be the concern but if they draw 13-14k for those I won't be upset.

Are you kidding? 5 sellouts? no way.

Rangers, Pens, Leafs, Flyers, Isles(maybe), weekend and friday games, Conference rivals like Ottawa will all sellout. Every game will sell out

Look at all you people panicing over those INITIAL numbers. Dont forget all the promotional giveaways/discounts and the curious walkups from office workers/students, etc..

Pathetic article btw.

Edited by devlman

Are you kidding? 5 sellouts? no way.

Rangers, Pens, Leafs, Flyers, Isles(maybe), weekend and friday games, Conference rivals like Ottawa will all sellout. Every game will sell out

Look at all you people panicing over those INITIAL numbers. Dont forget all the promotional giveaways/discounts and the curious walkups from office workers/students, etc..

Pathetic article btw.

Do you even read posts when quoting them?

Go back and re-read pattyelias' post and try again.

Mass transit is kinda inconvienent from Bergen County, but the Pascack Valley line is adding service next Sunday anyway, and Bergenites will be able to use Secaucus Junction to transfer(just like they do for Yankees, Mets, MSG, etc.) And the last time I checked, the Morris/Essex lines(west Jersey) run every day and into the night to/from Broad St. How is that inconvienent?

Mass transit isn't 'kinda inconvenient' from all of Morris/Essex counties too.. the trains don't all run on weekends or late at night near me (monclair/boonton line) or run ONCE every hour or much more AT NIGHT after the game... I haven't seen changes to the transit schedule yet that help me out at all!! Today I went to the Open House... my friend and I tried the Newark Light Rail from Grove St into Penn Station... It was during the day and we were together... but at night?? I'm not sure I feel safe! And if I had to meet her in Newark to go.. well I don't think I want to travel the Light Rail by myself thru the heart of Newark. So I'm left with finding a different route.. Bergen Main Line? Well it only runs ONCE an hour at NIGHT!!! WTF!!! They need to make it run at least every 30 mins otherwise I'm not get getting home til after midnite! How is that 'convenient'??? Was sucks is that I could drive to Newark easily but the traffric congestion I'd get into isn't worth it and the parking isn't much better. So what's a Devil Fan to do?? Please do tell me. I'm happy they have a nice sparkly new arena with all the bells n whistles but I like the Meadowlands... it was simple as pie to get to from 4 different directions... So needless to say, I don't know how many games I'll get to... unless someone from my area wants to vonlunteer to be my train 'buddy'... any takers??

Take the bus?

Taking transportation from the train station, ie. the bus, light rail. is the safest thing you can do if your coming from Broad Street.

And on game nights? Don't think for a second that if someone's bothering you they won't be kicked off the bus immediately. Newark can't afford for people to not feel safe going to the arena. Even walking, I know my situation would not have happened if game night security was present, or if I was traveling in a larger group.

Take the bus?

Taking transportation from the train station, ie. the bus, light rail. is the safest thing you can do if your coming from Broad Street.

And on game nights? Don't think for a second that if someone's bothering you they won't be kicked off the bus immediately. Newark can't afford for people to not feel safe going to the arena. Even walking, I know my situation would not have happened if game night security was present, or if I was traveling in a larger group.

Took the train from Grove St... was quick but questionable for two girls to feel comfortable on. Just because 'Newark can't afford for people to not feel safe' doesn't mean they will. My only hope is that on game nights the crowd riding the trains will be better... we'll see.