So whats the deal with White's eye injury

Ivan

Ok so first they tell us they dont know whats wrong with the eye because its all swollen. Later they tell us that they are relieved to find out that this turned out not to be a serious injury. Then all of a sudden they learn that it is more serious. But what now? I havent heard any substantial updates and at this point it seems that its as likely he is to return in a week as to never play again. What is going on, i wonder? :noclue:

I think they've pretty consistently said it's going to take however long it takes to heal. They've never given nor changed a time frame for his return. Eyes are funny and delicate things, when it's healed he'll be better. I read on another board someone asked White about his eye and he said it was coming along slowly and he would definitely be back sometime this season.

I think they've pretty consistently said it's going to take however long it takes to heal. They've never given nor changed a time frame for his return. Eyes are funny and delicate things, when it's healed he'll be better. I read on another board someone asked White about his eye and he said it was coming along slowly and he would definitely be back sometime this season.
Edited by Ivan

The main thing is he is able to recover and lead a productive life, but frankly Whitey isn't that good a d-man aside from his physical ability. Imagine White playing Sutter hockey..... Sutter wants the players to be aggressive, anymore aggressive and White would be confused for a rabid silverback, he already takes to many penalities and *gulp* White pinching in along the boards in the offensive zone!? That can't be good.

Come back healthy so we can trade you!

:gd:

DEVILS FAN FOR LIFE, DEATH TO LEAF NATION!

I think that visors should be the choice of the player, but they should return any portion of their contract money that they spend on the injured list.

I know this incident occured in practice, but you should be wearing them then too....

There have just been way too many eye injuries in hockey for guys not to wear them....

I heard he started to work out off the ice, but hockey is not in his mind, but regaining his full vision is. He will be re-evaluated when the swelling comes down and see if surgery is required. But hey, our new possible captain Jamie Langenbrunner has started to lightly skate.

I can't imagine his eye being swollen still since it has been a month if I'm not mistaken since he was injured. Like what was said before, eyes are very delicate and can take a while to heal or a few weeks, I would like to see white come back the same time Langenbrunner comes back but at this point who knows.

it looked all screwy on Sunday. I have a couple of photos with him and you can tell right away that one eye is focusing and one isn't. Way scary.

I was hoping someone would have asked him at the open house Sunday, I didn't want to since I figured everyone else was going to ask anyway.

One of my friends actually did :lol:

I wasn't there but she told me it still looked pretty bad. She claims White said he is waiting on the Doctors OK to start practicing again.

I think that visors should be the choice of the player, but they should return any portion of their contract money that they spend on the injured list.

I know this incident occured in practice, but you should be wearing them then too....

There have just been way too many eye injuries in hockey for guys not to wear them....

there are plenty of eye injuries with visors as well. wasn't saku koivu's eye injury with a visor?

good luck getting the union to go along with that one. this isn't like playing basketball in the off-season as a baseball player - it's a player's choice whether or not to wear it, and some guys just can't play with one.

there are plenty of eye injuries with visors as well. wasn't saku koivu's eye injury with a visor?

good luck getting the union to go along with that one. this isn't like playing basketball in the off-season as a baseball player - it's a player's choice whether or not to wear it, and some guys just can't play with one.

Well I agree in the visor rule, I do believe, however, that certain players who were "grandfathered" in should have a choice. While wearing a visor won't shield the player's eyes 100% (obviously) they will drastically limit the likelyhood of something horrible happening. Take Madden for example...he didn't want to wear the visor for years and then a few scary near-eye injuries later...he does. Hell, if it was me out there, you better be damn sure I'd be wearing a visor...the bigger the better...think police riot mask.

Edited by britoon

You are right, the time line never changed, but what threw me off a bit was the "relief" followed by the bad news. Not sure why they rushed to judgment, before they were 100% sure of the extent of the injury.

I think the relief you are talking about is that there was no bone damage, however since he is still out I'm guessing there is something wrong with the eye itself.