WFAN.com - Run By Idiots

RowdyFan42

I just recently started listening to it on a consistent basis ever since Carton moved over there, he at least has knowledge on just about every one of the major sports (even though he's a Rags fan) but yeah I have noticed most of the others knowledge could easily make it the Yankees and occasionally Giants radio talk...

Last year on Mike and the Mad Dog, they had the you-know-whats to claim that Ranger fans were the best in the entire NHL. I wonder how educated of a decision that is...

My friend, who is an Isles fan and knows his hockey, is no longer allowed to call in because he was ripping into them about their lack of hockey knowledge. :giggle:

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

It's even worse come playoff time...that's when Mike and the Mad Dog, after more or less ignoring the entire regular season, start trying to talk about playoff matchups and whatnot. They'll talk about friggin' tennis before they'll talk about hockey.
Edited by mackchi

Why do you bother at all with WFAN for anything other than Devil broadcasts???

The only guy on local radio worth listening to is Don LaGrecca on 1050. He knows hockey better than anyone on the radio in this town, and despite his work on the Ranger broadcasts, he's a huge Devil fan (I've spotted him at The Rock).

As much as a humorless curmedgeon as Phil Mushnick (NY Post) is, I love the fact that he exposes these guys and shreds these two constantly...about all of the things they get wrong, about how stupid they are, about how pompous and arrogant Francesca is. They're horrible interviewers too...everytime they have a guest on, in a effort to show the world how much THEY know about sports, they'll constantly talk over or cut off their guest to impress us all with their brilliance. Yet when Francesca is wrong about something (often), I never hear him own up to it. One of many reasons I rarely listen to them anymore.

That's part of their schtick.

Francesa is basically your average sports fan with a microphone. That's all he's supposed to be.

But then again, sports talk radio isn't supposed to be informative.

That's part of their schtick.

Francesa is basically your average sports fan with a microphone. That's all he's supposed to be.

But then again, sports talk radio isn't supposed to be informative.

I disagree. Francesca has a VERY high opinion of himself and his "knowledge". That's no schtick. He was more like you described back in '87 and the early years of the show, but somewhere along the way he became a self-important, pompous know-it-all who regularly berates callers who HEAVEN FORBID dare to disagree with the genius that is Mike Francesca. (He also thinks he's very cool because of his man-crush friendship with Bill Parcells.) Both Francesca and Russo take themselves far too seriously.

I get a kick out of Somers mostly because he doesn't take himself or his show seriously, and actually has two-way conversations with his callers. I can understand why he wouldn't be everybody's cup of tea though.

I disagree. Francesca has a VERY high opinion of himself and his "knowledge". That's no schtick. He was more like you described back in '87 and the early years of the show, but somewhere along the way he became a self-important, pompous know-it-all who regularly berates callers who HEAVEN FORBID dare to disagree with the genius that is Mike Francesca. (He also thinks he's very cool because of his man-crush friendship with Bill Parcells.) Both Francesca and Russo take themselves far too seriously.

I get a kick out of Somers mostly because he doesn't take himself or his show seriously, and actually has two-way conversations with his callers. I can understand why he wouldn't be everybody's cup of tea though.

Oh I understand - but it's like if the average fan were given a forum on which to discuss sports for twenty years. Mike Francesa is without a doubt a contemptuous fool, and lots of money could be made betting against a lot of his predictions and theories. Still, being a self-important, pompous know-it-all myself, I can at least respect how he got to that position.

I don't listen to any WFAN personalities regularly, but I do enjoy Steve Somers. And Somers will discuss hockey, too - he's not good at it but again he recognizes that.