Rich Chere Appreciation Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

With all of the Neverson ratings lately, I thought we should talk a little bit about a guy who DOES do a good job and is a joy to read on a daily basis.

I've been reading Rich Chere's articles since I can remember, and I've always enjoyed reading them. Concise, balanced, and clearly written by a guy who actually enjoys what he does for a living. Instead of sending another e-mail to Neverson reminding him of what he already knows (that he's a miserable prick who doesn't care about pissing off Devils fans so long as they read his nonsense), I'm going to send Chere an e-mail commending on his good work through the years.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Chere hasn't been getting props lately because Gulitti really upped the ante with his blog this season. Chere had gotten praised for being the top beat writer before but Gulitti may have passed him with the blog. Either way Chere and Gulitti are number 1 and 2 in some order and everyone else is far behind.

He's OK - when he's bored and frustrated he seems to just throw his hands up and write a slightly whiney pedestrian peice.

When he's totally into the season and things are going well, he gets very Kool aide drinking and turns in a very Lou sanctioned pedestrian peice.

He walks the right path but never says too much on it. :noclue:

It's hard to combat a blog though. It's much more casual and chatty than an article. See that's my problem with the Post guy -- he bitches in his newspaper like it was a blog but seems to feel it poor journalism to praise in an equally casual manner the way Gulitti can when blogging. The Post writer amuses himself most when he's complaining or finding fault. He doesn't feel he can write clever, entertaining and positive articles on the Devils - and that rush one gets when feeling clever is why the man writes - that's how I see it :noclue:

Edited by Pepperkorn

I saw Chere interviewed last night and damn if he wasn't right about the Devils repeating the same new coach mistakes in relation to Marty's playing time and Weekes play last night proved it.

Huh?

The team kept winning and wasn't playing back to backs.

Weekes should be playing more, but I don't think Weekes' play last night proved anything except that he's not a starting goalie in the NHL. That's not exactly a newsflash.

Edited by Triumph

Huh?

The team kept winning and wasn't playing back to backs.

Weekes should be playing more, but I don't think Weekes' play last night proved anything except that he's not a starting goalie in the NHL. That's not exactly a newsflash.

His point was the Devils have played 30 games and last night was only Weekes 4th start, and he is stilling on the bench getting rusty. He was afraid that Sutter is falling into the same trap every new Devils coach falls into (overplaying Marty, after promising to rest him more before the season starts).

His point was the Devils have played 30 games and last night was only Weekes 4th start, and he is stilling on the bench getting rusty. He was afraid that Sutter is falling into the same trap every new Devils coach falls into (overplaying Marty, after promising to rest him more before the season starts).

The reason for playing your backup goalie a decent amount isn't to make sure he isn't rusty. It's to rest the starting goalie.

Weekes will probably get 12 starts this year.

The reason for playing your backup goalie a decent amount isn't to make sure he isn't rusty. It's to rest the starting goalie.

Weekes will probably get 12 starts this year.

The only time I think it was questionable to play Marty was he played 3 games in 4 nights once during the winning streak, I think. Or it was before hand? Either way that was the only time I was surprised Marty didn't get a night off, the schedule hasn't justified any other nights off other than the ones Weekes has played in.

I saw Chere interviewed last night and damn if he wasn't right about the Devils repeating the same new coach mistakes in relation to Marty's playing time and Weekes play last night proved it.

That Sutter guy is just awful isn't he? The nerve of playing Marty every game during a nine-game winning streak...what the hell was he thinking? Let's hope that Lou fires this incompetent as soon as possible...after all, the team has completely lost its way with this two-game losing streak that has no end in sight. :rolleyes:

That Sutter guy is just awful isn't he? The nerve of playing Marty every game during a nine-game winning streak...what the hell was he thinking? Let's hope that Lou fires this incompetent as soon as possible...after all, the team has completely lost its way with this two-game losing streak that has no end in sight. :rolleyes:

quoted for truth ... :koolaid: