GDT: Devils @ Bruins 7pm

njdevil26

Huh? He didn't cost the Devils anything. Yes, he gave up two bad goals, but managed to fight through it and had an excellent 2nd period when the rest of his team was ready to pack it in.

The Devils have got to get Weekes in there again this month.

Edited by Hasan4978

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well when you outshoot the other team by like 15-20 shots and the goaltender looks horrendous in a one-goal game I'd say that's pretty much costing your team two points.

And what Devils coach since Lemaire has ever thought of anything other than getting as many points as possible when filling out the goaltender part of the lineup card? I don't think any Devils backup has started even ten games since the Dunham nonsense, and I don't expect that to change especially if Weekes is going to be rusty and cough up hairballs. Not to mention the small fact that the division and playoff races being insanely close.

If Marty starting 75 games is the only way we can get to the playoffs, I'd rather him start 70-72 and take our chances.

Next week he can play all three. Three days off and the Devils play a 5 games in every other day leading up to the All Star Break and then go right back into playing even more games every other night and back to back..

Weekes needs to play against Florida in two weeks. It's only fair to him, and the team.

Edited by HellOnICE

Well when you outshoot the other team by like 15-20 shots and the goaltender looks horrendous in a one-goal game I'd say that's pretty much costing your team two points.

And what Devils coach since Lemaire has ever thought of anything other than getting as many points as possible when filling out the goaltender part of the lineup card? I don't think any Devils backup has started even ten games since the Dunham nonsense, and I don't expect that to change especially if Weekes is going to be rusty and cough up hairballs. Not to mention the small fact that the division and playoff races being insanely close.

I'm not saying I agree with the play Marty until he drops strategy (especially in prior seasons where the Devils were merely pumping up their point total), I'm saying it won't change in the forseeable future. Especially with the vicious cycle of having the backup suck because he gets no work. Not to mention January's schedule isn't taxing on a goalie at all.

But let's face one fact, just because we're in the division lead now means nothing. Not even a playoff spot is assured this year. That's the dilemma with Marty's workload. Don't want to play him too much and burn him out but don't want to rest him too much and then not have any playoffs left to rest him for.

Edited by Triumph

Yea, right now the playoff spot isn't clinched, though we are in 2nd in the east. I'm guessing that come a month from now, we'll be somewhere in the 2nd-5th range in the east. Whether we finish 2nd, 3rd, or wherever, recent history has shown that anyone can go deep into the playoffs once their in (moreso then any other sport). Im not convinced yet that we are the 2nd best team in the east, but when the dust settles and we have 10 or so games left i think we're gonna be right there with the east contenders and the seeding won't matter as much as we want to make it out to be. Ottawa is a great team at #1, but when in their history of enormously talented teams have you felt confident they would take care of business? They were a better team in 03 than we were and we survived, and theyve been beaten by other teams that werent as good as them.

Bottom line: get in and cross your fingers. we've gone in on long winning streaks and been bounced in the 2nd round, and we;ve gone in with a new coach and iffy confidence and won the cup. theres no way to predict the stanley cup playoffs, but with Martin Brodeur and a Lou built team we've always got a punchers chance.

Look, not a good night for Weekes, but I feel bad for the guy.

At the beginning of the season, October/November he looked really good to be honest.

When he was getting to play in 1 of every 5 on average he was getting a taste of the action, staying sharp, and etc.

Now, he's playing 1 in every 10-15. He's going a month in between starts, on average, and I don't care how hard you work in practice, you MENTALLY can't be up for a game when you haven't played in a month. It takes time to adjust. My guess, throw him in for the next game and he'll be strong, but alas, that's the life of a Devil's back up goalie.

In my opinion, no reason at all why a no talent, career minor leaguer like Stephen Valliquette across the river gets a start on every set of back to back nights, every set of 3 games in 4 night stretches, etc. behind Henrik Lundqvist. Meanwhile, a legit goalie like Weekes gets to play once a month, and maybe once a month at that, because that's not guaranteed.

Plus, 6 games, his first what you'd call legit bad game.

Marty 5, Weekes 1. That's how it should be. That way Kevin gets to play every 2 weeks and can stay sharp, Marty can stay fresh, and Kevin doesn't risk losing you points when he does play because he maintains his mental focus and edge.

I was at this game saturday night. Sold out game, even though there was a few emptys around..... good amount of devils fans...... I sat second row behind devils bench (corner of the bench), DEAD center ice.... I have some aweosme pictures that i will put sometime today.. I was able to see and even "talk" some of the players during the game.... I told Oduya to wake up and stop turning the puck over.....told Zajac to keep up the shooting and crashing the net, the goals will come....... Seems like Boston fans do NOT like Clarkson as he got alot of crap from the bruin fans... Sutter is awesome behind the bench, his look and demeanor means serious business.. What exactly does Maclean listen to behind the bench is he part of the secret service? he has some kind of 'wire' attached to his ear........Elias was sore and hurting at the end of his first shift. He was hunched over with the trainer looking at him on the bench, but I guess it wasnt serious cause he played the rest of the game..... Oduya missed a few shifts during the second, but that couldve been due to the devils on the PP and PK maybe?..... the 25 out of state law in the garden is a little ridiculous, luckily Im over 25.

Anyways it was a great game and night in Boston fans are friendly (as long as you are not a yankee fan) and causeway street has some nice bars and restaurants.

the end of first goal hurt us the most. Weekes let in a BAD goal and I let Maclean know about it (he was the closest coach at the end of the period). I know he heard me because he "squinted his eyes"..... We had 44 shots and made thomas better than he was.... 1:12 to go and zajac and parise were on the bench, made me wonder. but they were put on with 35 seconds to go, I guess they needed a short rest.

I will post pictures sometime today...