Affirmative Action

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My new sergeant has less time on in law enforcement, by many years..............never worked an investigation, never done an affidavit, a search warrant, an interrogation, never made an arrest, but she's going to tell me how to handle my cases?

But, she's got a Ph.D and I only have a BA.............hmmmmmmm........

I think its stupid and only further divides the races rather than unite them. Creating double standards to fight old double standards is a foolish enterprise, and just keeps minorities from being truly judged on their charecter. It is horribly racist because it:

1. gives minorities preferential treatment

2. says that minorities NEED preferential treatment in order to succeed.

just a horrible policy all around.

I think its stupid and only further divides the races rather than unite them. Creating double standards to fight old double standards is a foolish enterprise, and just keeps minorities from being truly judged on their charecter. It is horribly racist because it:

1. gives minorities preferential treatment

2. says that minorities NEED preferential treatment in order to succeed.

just a horrible policy all around.

My thoughts exactly.

Under affirmative action, women start closing the wage gap with men.

Under affirmative action, minorities start closing the wage gap with caucasians.

So I can understand the white men in this thread being against it.

Personally, if someone can find some other way to close the wage gap, I'd love to hear it. I don't like affirmative action... I just dislike the other options more.

Under affirmative action, minorities start closing the wage gap with caucasians.

Personally, if someone can find some other way to close the wage gap, I'd love to hear it. I don't like affirmative action... I just dislike the other options more.

783: Lame. Doctors have to pass their residency no matter colour, class or race. It's not like you are going to have someone incompetent operating on you because of affirmative action.

HalfShark: My brother and I had a similar discussion eons ago. And that was what he said: If we want the people who get the jobs be the most qualified, then we have to ensure that each child has an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY to be the most qualified. And that would mean that every school, from the wealthy burbs, to the inner cities, to the rural countryside... EVERY school would need to have well trained teachers, access to supplies (chem supplies, computers, updated school books). The kids in public school should be educated just as well as the kids in private school.

I have no qualms with that solution. However, it would cost tax money to achieve that. Affirmative action costs very little in terms of tax dollars, so it is more palatable. Slightly.

As for the question as to whether their are affirmative action programs in other countries... absolutely. My workplace knows the relative racial breakdown and gender breakdown of the country. So if there is 51% women and 49% men, then my workplace will try to match that percentage in EVERY work category. Now, it has been absolutely impossible to get 51% women in the techie jobs, however they do TRY. And yes, sometimes women with lower grades will get in over a guy with higher grades. So, to answer the question, yes there are affirmative action programs and not just within government departments. There are a LOT of minority/gender based scholarships to universities.

Title 9 is just as bad in college athletics

Title 9 says that the % of atheletes in college sports must match the demographic of students at your college.

Example..... Uconn has 55% women and 45 % Men... To be in compliance, 55% of scholarships and atheltes MUST be women. Being that football is a HUGE sport in terms of bodies and revenues, less revenue generating sports are often cut to stay in line.

My cousin was asst coach at JMU for Track/Cross Country when the program was cut due to title 9..... They had members on the girls teams protesting the cuts saying this is not what was intended when title 9 was created.

In this case, as in affirmative action, the laws do more harm then good.

Edited by tsdevils82

HalfShark: My brother and I had a similar discussion eons ago. And that was what he said: If we want the people who get the jobs be the most qualified, then we have to ensure that each child has an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY to be the most qualified. And that would mean that every school, from the wealthy burbs, to the inner cities, to the rural countryside... EVERY school would need to have well trained teachers, access to supplies (chem supplies, computers, updated school books). The kids in public school should be educated just as well as the kids in private school.

Also, this argument doesn't really fly for me because affirmative action doesn't say anything about the wealth area a person grew up in or their school system but only talks about their race or sex.

But that's a good thing, the white person is paying for past racism by having to endure present racism.

So it's ok to have equal rights when it is against the white man eh? That's bullsh!t. Equal rights is equal rights for everyone, not equal rights for everyone besides the middle aged white guy. I wasn't alive 150 years ago, were you?

But that's a good thing, the white person is paying for past racism by having to endure present racism.

I know you're being sarcastic, but in all seriousness, that seems to me to be the only real reason for affirmative action. However, it's flawed. Making up for racism with more racism only serves to perpetuate racism. And why should the people of today have to pay for the sins of their ancestors?

I'm reminded of a verse from Ben Folds' "Rockin' The Suburbs":

In a haze these days

I pull up to the stoplight

I can feel that something's not right

I can feel that someone's blasting me

With hate and bass

Sending dirty vibes my way

'Cause my great great great great granddad

Made someone's great great great great granddaddy slaves

It wasn't my idea

It wasn't my idea

It never was my idea

I just drove to the store

For some Preparation H

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.