An All-Star Twist?

devilsrule33

I wasn't sure if this was a joke column since James Duthie usually does only that, but it looks like this is for real. If it is, all I can say is, "about time."

http://tsn.ca/blogs/duthie/?id=226864

Sources tell TSN the NHL will introduce an NBA Slam-Dunk Contest style shootout at this year's All-Star Skills Competition in Atlanta.

Players will be asked to perform the craziest trick-shots they can come up with. Between the leg shots, spin-a-ramas, over the shoulder lacrosse moves, it's all fair game. A panel of celebrities, still to be announced, will judge the shooters on their originality.

The shootout will feature three players from each conference. They will be allowed to start from anywhere on the ice, even behind the net they are shooting on. The competitors will get two chances each. The judges will score the move anywhere from a 1 to a 9. If the player scores, he'll get an additional point, allowing for the possibility of a perfect 10. All six All-Star goalies will take a turn in net.

Edited by devilsrule33

I always thought the NHL had the absolute BEST skills competitions of the major sports, except for maybe Home Run Derby. The Slam Dunk contest sucks ... 2/3rds of the attempts don't even work. And the NFL, well, do they even do anything anymore?

I do like the fancy trick play addition, though. They tried the goalie scoring thing a few years back. I remember everyone thinking Marty would kill it, but I think Hasek ended up being the only one to score. They even put to obstacles in the middle of the ice that the goalies had to shoot over.

I want them to bring back the individual team skill competitions. Sure only about 500 people show up but it was fun and the players seemed really relaxed and just shooting the breeze. Well, ok, I know it won't come back because of the only 500 people but I enjoyed it.

Let's guess the celebs.

Denis Leary wearing a Boston jersey

Mike Meyers Tor. jersey

Jim Belushi Hawks.

Although knowing NBC, all 3 will be ineligible since they don't currently appear on any NBC primetime show. So introduce 3 people I never heard of.

I like this.

Hopefully there's no Brian Rafalski in the fastest shot competition debacle either.

btw, it was arturs irbe who scored a goal in the goalie shooting competition. that should be held from center ice or the goalie's blueline, not the opposite goal (as shooting it into the opposite goal from there seems like a ton of luck to me).

btw, it was arturs irbe who scored a goal in the goalie shooting competition. that should be held from center ice or the goalie's blueline, not the opposite goal (as shooting it into the opposite goal from there seems like a ton of luck to me).

Let's guess the celebs.

Denis Leary wearing a Boston jersey

Mike Meyers Tor. jersey

Jim Belushi Hawks.

Although knowing NBC, all 3 will be ineligible since they don't currently appear on any NBC primetime show. So introduce 3 people I never heard of.

Hayden Panettiere - Save the cheerleader, save the puck. Also, she's licked the Stanley Cup before.

Howie Mandel - Goal or no goal?

Aaaaaand... I can't think of a third person. Then again, this assumes NBC's actually smart enough to pick people who have actually heard of hockey and might even like it. Taking that into account, they'll pick someone from American Gladiators, someone from 30 Rock, and someone ELSE from Heroes.

• 2 weeks later...

http://tsn.ca/blogs/duthie/?id=227670

The Sidney Crosby injury doesn't just hurt the Pittsburgh Penguins.

It's a big blow to next week's All-Star game, where it was hoped Crosby would take part in the first slam-dunk contest style shootout.

The shooters will be chosen by the team captains, Jerome Iginla and Vincent Lecavalier.

It's expected Alexander Ovechkin and Ilya Kovalchuk will be asked to participate from the East.

On the west side, the likely candidates include Detroit star Pavel Datsyuk, Anaheim's Ryan Getzlaf, and Minny's Marian Gaborik. L.A. King Anze Kopitar and goal-of-the-year guy Rick Nash are also possibilities (if Nash gets the nod, he might want to bring along the three Coyotes he turned into pylons Thursday night, and do a re-creation).

Edited by devilsrule33