NBC Letting "Stooges" Get In Emrick's Way

thelastonealive

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/columnis...sman/index.html

Here's the deal: It's not like this orchestra of voices has nothing to say. They are all, at times, capable of bringing big insights to the telecast. Still, when the conductor goes out and hires a virtuoso soloist such as Emrick, he doesn't need a trio of Tubby the Tubas getting in the way.

More than any other televised sport, hockey is driven by the rhythm of the play-by-play voice. And there is no one who can cook like Emrick. It would be one thing if NBC Sports boss Dick Ebersol hired some NHL ham-and-egger to call the games. Then, NBC might need some backup singers to sweeten the sound.

The comments at the bottom from those who don't like Doc are amusing in their own way, too. :lol:

Edited by thelastonealive

Found it.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/columnis...sman/index.html

The comments at the bottom must have all been made by the dumbest people to even operate a computer. I have yet to meet, in person, a human being who does not respect the hell out of Emrick. Devils fans, Rangers fans, Flyers fans, hockey fans in general, people who don't even like hockey ... everyone likes Doc Emrick.

I think John Buccigross put it best when talking about the Winter Classic.

Play-by-play legend Mike Emrick is the finest ambassador the game has. The reason why negative e-mails concerning me don't bother me is because I get negative e-mails from people concerning Mike Emrick. This is as unfathomable to me as someone saying the color of the sky is pink or Kristen Bell could possibly smell like beef and cheese.

I don't believe we have to credit authors, just need to link the articles.

Its nice to know who you are going to read....how hard is it to put in the 1% extra effort.

If it was (N)Єverson...you can be sure most would.

SCDevils aka. "The News Guy" easily sets the standard, daily, ...can't we just go by that???? :noclue:

Edited by DevilinLA

Its nice to know who you are going to read....how hard is it to put in the 1% extra effort.

If it was (N)Єverson...you can be sure most would.

SCDevils aka. "The News Guy" easily sets the standard, daily, ...can't we just go by that???? :noclue:

In all fairness to lastone, the author's name and source are in the topic title. That's how I found the story.

Not edited, was always there.

As a student of journalism, I don't believe in posting articles up without giving proper credit.

The link thing...that was just my own forgetfulness. My apologies.

My bad...."intellectual Property" Hissy Fit Retracted.

Sam Rosen is awful. :puke: What else are the rags fans going to be jealous of the Devs for next?

Eh, Rosen isn't that bad. Micheletti is an atrocity in the booth, but Rosen ain't terrible. You wanna hear an awful broadcast? Catch a Flyers game. Jim Jackson isn't just a textbook homer with a nasally voice, but his calls are just an abomination. And I know it isn't his fault that SportsNet sold its soul to corporate sponsorship, but it's just ridiculous to hear "(insert name here) scores for a free case of Tastykakes!" after every Flyers goal. And don't get me started on Steve Coates. I'm just glad Dornhoffer is finally gone. Dude seemed like he never fully recovered from

The comments at the bottom from those who don't like Doc are amusing in their own way, too. :lol:

Yeah, a couple of them are pretty funny.

Eh, Rosen isn't that bad. Micheletti is an atrocity in the booth, but Rosen ain't terrible. You wanna hear an awful broadcast? Catch a Flyers game. Jim Jackson isn't just a textbook homer with a nasally voice, but his calls are just an abomination. And I know it isn't his fault that SportsNet sold its soul to corporate sponsorship, but it's just ridiculous to hear "(insert name here) scores for a free case of Tastykakes!" after every Flyers goal. And don't get me started on Steve Coates. I'm just glad Dornhoffer is finally gone. Dude seemed like he never fully recovered from

Jackson actually wasn't that big a homer when he did the radio broadcasts. As soon as he moved to TV, he became unbearable. The only part of his repertoire that annoys me though is the phrase, "...of the spectacular variety" which grates on me to no end. Coates is just a useless clown.

Sam Rosen is awful. :puke: What else are the rags fans going to be jealous of the Devs for next?

Everytime his face is on the television I get scared. I hate his voice, it just goes right through me.

Agree with you there Liz!

Sam Rosen I cannot stomach and sometimes put the games on mute if he is the only announcer doing the games and there is no alternative.

Doc is 100X better then Rosen!

Doc Emerick > Sam Rosen

as they say, imitation is the best form of flattery!!!

i can understand the Rangers fan's anger though, they had to listen to Joe Michelleti all season

My wife can't stand the whole MSG crew especially Michelleti. And Fischler.

There's a lot of good play by play guys. Then, somwhere *way up here*, there's Doc.

Doc could call a beer league game and make it enthralling, and by the end of it we'd know some fun facts about a bunch of the players. That's what sets him apart. That, and his ability to bring the best out of the analyst(s) he's working with.

I would listen to the play by play of rocks growing moss if Doc covered it. He's not just the best play by play man hockey has ever known, he's by far the best sports announcer on the planet (apologies to Vin Scully who is a close 2nd).

And people can bash Chico all they want, but he's OUR color guy and he's ONE of us. Personally, I love him with Doc as this is as close to having one of us in the booth with Doc as you can get. Chico is not a TV man, but an ex-hockey player who still possesses all the quirks he had when he played and is just being himself. There's a reason he was loved by Devils fans way before he took the booth. He's about as regular a guy as you'll find on TV and having Doc next to him allows him to just be himself and talk like he's amongst friends watching the game.

We're very fortunate to have the team we do and it just won't be the same when their run is finally over.