Blake Wheeler Visits Devils & Rangers

Patches O'Houlihan

I don't get it, how can he do that if he can't sign until july 1st?

Maybe it will be all but official, like he will sign here, but it wont be announced till July 1st?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can say that about almost any young player. Wheeler is going to be cheap, and it will only be for two years, so it is well worth the risk in my opinion.

Obviously if Wheeler were willing to go along with anything the organization told him, that'd be great. But these sorts of players usually look for who can guarantee them the most ice time, and New Jersey can't be one of those teams. There's no 'risk' - I just find it highly unlikely.

Teams were allowed to talk to Wheeler on June 1 - he's not allowed to sign until July 1.

Obviously if Wheeler were willing to go along with anything the organization told him, that'd be great. But these sorts of players usually look for who can guarantee them the most ice time, and New Jersey can't be one of those teams. There's no 'risk' - I just find it highly unlikely.

Teams were allowed to talk to Wheeler on June 1 - he's not allowed to sign until July 1.

Who knows, maybe he wants to live near a big city but not have that big city pressure on him to perform on the ice. We don't know what exactly is going on.

Who cares its Low Risk and possibly High Reward.. if this happens.. Great.. If not whatever..

I think its a good idea. I do wonder why we are the "frontrunners"

So say we do get Wheeler, and he does make the team...

What does the Roster look like? Where do you put him? For that kind of money he would have to be 2nd line..

Thoughts?

Edited by Jdub

So say we do get Wheeler, and he does make the team...

What does the Roster look like? Where do you put him? For that kind of money he would have to be 2nd line..

Thoughts?

I don't know anything about this kid other than his size and supposed skill set, so, that said, I'd like to see him start out on our fourth line with Clarkson and Rupp. That would give us a legitimate crash and bang line with at least two guys who are legitimate scoring threats. A fourth line we could evenly cycle with the rest. What a concept!

I don't know anything about this kid other than his size and supposed skill set, so, that said, I'd like to see him start out on our fourth line with Clarkson and Rupp. That would give us a legitimate crash and bang line with at least two guys who are legitimate scoring threats. A fourth line we could evenly cycle with the rest. What a concept!

that would also mean sergei brylin in lowell too

that might be best for all involved not named brylin to be honest

let him take marshall's vet spot

Just to continue the speculation(and maybe Marty was in part referring to Wheeler last night):

So the Devils sign Wheeler, sign a top 6 forward, and a top 4 defenseman. All 3 of those guys probably play on the NHL roster last season. The Devils are likely to bring back Pando and Brylin. Vrana and Bergfors and maybe Corrente and Salmela battling for roster spots. That leaves the Devils with way more bodies than the pro roster can fit. If Lou feels like he is going to make some of those signings then I think he would be inclined to make some deals at the draft.

Does anyone have any videos of this kid in action? The only thing I can find on YouTube is that Final Five goal against the Fighting Sioux.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pIOjjz4jEY

Nothing special but it kind of shows how he plays.

Just to continue the speculation(and maybe Marty was in part referring to Wheeler last night):

So the Devils sign Wheeler, sign a top 6 forward, and a top 4 defenseman. All 3 of those guys probably play on the NHL roster last season. The Devils are likely to bring back Pando and Brylin. Vrana and Bergfors and maybe Corrente and Salmela battling for roster spots. That leaves the Devils with way more bodies than the pro roster can fit. If Lou feels like he is going to make some of those signings then I think he would be inclined to make some deals at the draft.

I've been thinking that same thing, I have a feeling a right winger is going to be moved before July 1st. And when you look at it the most logical person is Gionta, No one is going to want Zubrus because of his lengthy contract, Langs almost definitely won't be traded, Clarkson maybe but you can't get much in return for him. So that leaves us with Gionta who can play well on the PP, brings speed and is a proven goalscorer, also he only has one more season on his contract so that makes him seem like a more reasonable trade.

Edited by Devs4LIFE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pIOjjz4jEY

Nothing special but it kind of shows how he plays.

Thanks! I like what I saw there. The more I see on the kid, the more excited I am to hear we're the frontrunners to land him. Here's hoping this rumor has more life than pretty much every other rumor this organization has ever seen.

Thanks! I like what I saw there. The more I see on the kid, the more excited I am to hear we're the frontrunners to land him. Here's hoping this rumor has more life than pretty much every other rumor this organization has ever seen.

Yeah me too, maybe he'll play his first year as a fourth line center and then work his way up.

From the Columbus Dispatch:

Blake Wheeler, the No. 1 pick of Phoenix in 2004, has narrowed his list of possible destinations to two, and the Blue Jackets didn't make the cut. But the Blue Jackets did make him a "very fair offer," a source said.

Wheeler refused to sign with the Coyotes despite the Coyotes' offer of the maximum entry level amount. By doing so, Wheeler immediately became a free agent. He could sign with somebody right now, if he agrees to terms. No waiting until July 1 in this case.

It's been reported that Wheeler wants to play in the Midwest, but that's not entirely true, the source said. In fact, the Rangers and Devils may be the two clubs on his list. He's spoken to both clubs.

The second paragraph is especially interesting. Apparently this guy can sign wherever he wants before July 1.

Yeah I don't see why he would have to wait. He is not coming off an existing NHL contract that is expiring (why teams must wait til july 1st), He would be able to sign whenever, just like how we recently signed Salmela (who had not had an NHL contract before) last month.

Let's hope he chooses the Devils and not the Rangers.

The source is probably the same for Brooks, Strickland, and this article.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if either the Rangers or Devils land him. The Islanders would make a ton more sense - they can promise the kid boatloads of ice time.

Edited by Triumph

The source is probably the same for Brooks, Strickland, and this article.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if either the Rangers or Devils land him. The Islanders would make a ton more sense - they can promise the kid boatloads of ice time.

It would seem to out of character for Lou but if Wheeler wanted to play for a team that has a good shot of winning next season then Lou could guarentee him time on the pro roster. It may not be more the 8-10 minutes of TOI a night but he wouldn't have to endure losing all year and would have a chance to quickly move up to a top 6 roll if his play warrants it. Also would have a good shot at getting PP time if he plays well. That kind of promise wouldn't be totally crazy and could be something that would interest a player depending on personality.

The Islanders would make a ton more sense - they can promise the kid boatloads of ice time.

The coyotes could have given him lots of ice time as well, but he chose not to sign with them. We basically have no idea what criteria he's using to choose a team. I think whoever he signs with will be a surprise.

The coyotes could have given him lots of ice time as well, but he chose not to sign with them. We basically have no idea what criteria he's using to choose a team. I think whoever he signs with will be a surprise.

You're right, no one has any frickin clue what this kid is looking for. The articles that say he wants to play for a Midwest team are the same ones saying the Devs and Rags are the frontrunners.

Im calling bullsh!t on this whole ice time thing. What do we have to lose. We dont have a good offense, we are always in the bottom 10 in the league.. guys like Brylin get 12 mins a game... and you can cut into Pandolfos 17 mins a game.

Bring him him, slap him on the 3rd line and 2nd PP line and give him 12-14 mins.

The Islanders would be a place both sides would work well with. They are potentially an up and coming team, and could be a good team in 2 or so seasons. And in 3, 4 or 5 they could be great if they keep smart. Although, they did have Heatly and Roberto, so we have no clue if they can.

The Islanders would be a place both sides would work well with. They are potentially an up and coming team, and could be a good team in 2 or so seasons. And in 3, 4 or 5 they could be great if they keep smart. Although, they did have Heatly and Roberto, so we have no clue if they can.

I don't know how you can call the Islanders an up and coming team. They were terrible this year, had a lot of washed up veterans, and few promising young players. Not to mention a goalie who can't stay healthy and is signed for another 10 years at least.

I don't know how you can call the Islanders an up and coming team. They were terrible this year, had a lot of washed up veterans, and few promising young players. Not to mention a goalie who can't stay healthy and is signed for another 10 years at least.

They have Okposo, Comeau and Figren just to name a few players who will be good players. The washed up veterans wont stick around forever, and through smart free agency they will have good forward lines and defensive pairings. Although DiPietro is commonly unhealthy, they always seem to get good backup goaltending. They could be a good team down the round with their assets.

They have Okposo, Comeau and Figren just to name a few players who will be good players. The washed up veterans wont stick around forever, and through smart free agency they will have good forward lines and defensive pairings. Although DiPietro is commonly unhealthy, they always seem to get good backup goaltending. They could be a good team down the round with their assets.

Comeau has not really been very impressive, and I don't know much about Figren. Okposo will be very good, but that is only one player. Wade Dubielewicz has been an above average backup, but nowhere near a good fill-in for how often DP has been hurt. If Blake Wheeler did not want to go to Phoneix, I don't see why he would want to go to the Isles; both teams are in similar situations.