Langenbrunner and Zubrus Drop the Gloves

nmigliore

http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/2008/09...nbrunner-a.html

The game doesn't matter, but Devils captain Jamie Langenbrunner and right wing Dainius Zubrus just fought. I couldn't tell what started it and it didn't last long, but Zubrus ended up on top of Langenbrunner when it was over. It happened 6:42 into the second 30-minute half of the scrimmage. Both teams banged their sticks on the boards afterward for encouragement.

Off the top of my head, I don't remember either player fighting last season, but I could be wrong.

I'll try to get an explanation from both players later.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love it! That's what i want to see out of a captain. Nothing wrong with this at all, shows me they are chomping at the bit compared to that Boy Scout locker room atmosphere last season.

Wonder what got Zubrus pissed or Langenbrunner for that matter? Zubrus i could kick his dog and he'd apologize for having his dog in my way and Langenbrunner shows only emotion when he takes a penalty and screams at the refs.

Maybe a little of Brent has rubbed off on him, finally.

why exactly is it a good thing when the team is fighting?

if Zubrus is dating Langs wife then we have a problem, otherwise it's a badge of courage or taking leadership example. It's lights a fire in the other players to bust their a$$es....

Edited by westcoastdevfan

the last time i saw jamie fight was against pratt(i think) from TB in the playoffs. he didn't fare well in that fight.

i remember being pissed because at one point it was obvious jamie was just covering up and pratt kept hitting him and the refs were just standing and watching. and the game was almost over anyway.

i was hoping the devils would get some justice the next season but i don't think they did.

anyway, i'm not too concerend about this fight. they'll probably shake hands in the lockeroom after practice. i like to hear about this kind of intensity though.

if Zubrus is dating Langs wife then we have a problem, otherwise it's a badge of courage or taking leadership example. It's lights a fire in the other players to bust their a$$es....

badge of courage? how about badge of camaraderie? Captain should know better and lead by example, better ways to light fires then too fight his own teammates. Anxiously waiting to hear TG's follow up.

Shows they hold each other accountable for their actions on the ice.

This is bizzaro world. If we heard about a fight at a rangers practice people here would be railing on them for lack of team unity, unsportsmanship, bush league quality players and inter team squabbles that will inevitably destroy the team. I must have missed the massive kool-aid serving for the '08 season.

why exactly is it a good thing when the team is fighting?

the same reason why it's good when your team fights with another team.

wcdf put it perfectly.

i doubt they 'fought' - probably of a scrum than a fight you might see between two enforcers, but it is nice to see.

lol squishy, you picked a fight at the wrong time. do you think brent sutter is going to say after practice, 'well i don't like it when my guys get into a scrap, they better cut that out.'

now fighting in the locker room/team plane/hotel is another thing altogether.

Edited by Triumph

This is bizzaro world. If we heard about a fight at a rangers practice people here would be railing on them for lack of team unity, unsportsmanship, bush league quality players and inter team squabbles that will inevitably destroy the team. I must have missed the massive kool-aid serving for the '08 season.

It wouldn't have been seen like that at all. Just like Federov fighting at rookie camp was viewed as a good thing because it showed his passion. Most coaches their guys fighting if it's from emotion from the scrimmage, because if you can get passionate over a scrimmage you'll be even more so for a game.

lol squishy, you picked a fight at the wrong time.

ok? not really sure what that means.

do you think brent sutter is going to say after practice, 'well i don't like it when my guys get into a scrap, they better cut that out.'

Personally I don't care what Sutter has to say on it, he is an old fashion guy and will probably say it's great that the players are being so intense. Rather I will defer back to my other point that if it Renny saying those things we would call him a giant dueche.

It wouldn't have been seen like that at all. Just like Federov fighting at rookie camp was viewed as a good thing because it showed his passion. Most coaches their guys fighting if it's from emotion from the scrimmage, because if you can get passionate over a scrimmage you'll be even more so for a game.

ok

badge of courage? how about badge of camaraderie? Captain should know better and lead by example, better ways to light fires then too fight his own teammates. Anxiously waiting to hear TG's follow up.

Because it shows they aren't going to half a$$ it and then say 'whatever' when the coach calls them out on it.

That's the Rangers. We'll always find fault in what they do.

Face it, last season this team had a boy scout atmosphere in it's locker room. Why do you think Holik was brought back? Why do you think Rupp took boxing lessons? Why do you think two guys who wouldn't fight traffic fought today? Why do you think Fedorov, another pillow hands, fought? Why do you think Leblond is still out there? Sutter isn't going to tolerate last season's atmosphere. Players are going to be held accountable for their actions. Personally, i like it. I like this piss and fire, especially from Zubrus and our de facto Captain. I fvcking hope they have a bench clearer today.

If you watched Brent Sutter play and captain in his prime, this has his stamp written all over it.

Fighting during a training camp scrimmage is different than fighting at practice during the regular season. Besides, we hear about these things a few times every preseason and I don't recall anyone ever saying anything like that.

Fighting during a training camp scrimmage is different than fighting at practice during the regular season. Besides, we hear about these things a few times every preseason and I don't recall anyone ever saying anything like that.

nah it's totally different if we heard about the rangers doing this we'd be like 'omg lol they are going to lose'

I don't understand why this is so hard to fathom. :noclue: You have our captain, who is supposed to lead the team by example, scrapping with our biggest disappointment from last season. To me this sets the tone for the rest of camp and carries over to the season. Hockey is a passion filled sport. Fighting is an extreme outlet for this passion. I say bring it on and ride this through the season.

I don't understand why this is so hard to fathom. :noclue: You have our captain, who is supposed to lead the team by example, scrapping with our biggest disappointment from last season. To me this sets the tone for the rest of camp and carries over to the season. Hockey is a passion filled sport. Fighting is an extreme outlet for this passion. I say bring it on and ride this through the season.

You don't know the details, nor anyone at this point it's pure speculation. If it turns out Langs initiated it because Zubrus was lagging, while I wouldn't agree with his method but fine sure there is a message to be sent to step it up.

If it ends up being a stupid pissing contest where one guy got shoved a little harder then he was expecting and shoved back harder until it escalated into a fight well then someone should sit the 2 brats in timeout for the rest of class until they can grow up. There is nothing gained by that poor display of conduct. But that's as much a guess as the former so I guess we wait.

I love it! That's what i want to see out of a captain. Nothing wrong with this at all, shows me they are chomping at the bit compared to that Boy Scout locker room atmosphere last season.

Wonder what got Zubrus pissed or Langenbrunner for that matter? Zubrus i could kick his dog and he'd apologize for having his dog in my way and Langenbrunner shows only emotion when he takes a penalty and screams at the refs.

Maybe a little of Brent has rubbed off on him, finally.

Couldn't agree more! I love to hear this about both players. Langs stepping up the intensity is great news.