1/3rd of the season is over

Triumph

It's pretty amazing what our top 6 forwards are doing. Here's a little sample.

Zach Parise 08-09: 27 GP 16 G 17 A 33 P

Zach Parise 07-08: 81 GP 32 G 33 A 65 P

To beat his 07-08: 54 GP 16 G 16 A 32 P

Zach Parise would have to get the same number of points over twice as many games to equal his performance from last season.

Patrik Elias 08-09: 27 GP 13 G 16 A 29 P

Patrik Elias 07-08: 74 GP 20 G 33 A 55 P

To beat his 07-08: 47 GP 7 G 17 A 24 P

Once again, Elias would have to almost halve his current production in order to reach last season's numbers. He is virtually a lock to outdo last season.

Brian Gionta 08-09: 26 GP 8 G 18 A 26 P

Brian Gionta 07-08: 82 GP 22 G 31 A 53 P

To beat his 07-08: 55 GP 14 G 13 A 27 P

Same thing. Although it does look like Gionta may struggle to repeat his goal numbers from last season, he has been playing much better of late and his assist number should easily trump last season's.

Travis Zajac 08-09: 27 GP 7 G 12 A 19 P

Travis Zajac 07-08: 82 GP 14 G 20 A 34 P

To beat his 07-08: 55 GP 7 G 8 A 15 P

There is no chance of this happening. Zajac has gotten much stronger since last season and is maturing into the poor man's Nieuwendyk we all thought he would be when he first came up. He lacks scoring touch but in all other facets he is an above-average hockey player.

Dainius Zubrus 08-09: 27 GP 8 G 11 A 19 P

Dainius Zubrus 07-08: 82 GP 12 G 25 A 37 P

To beat his 07-08: 55 GP 4 G 14 A 18 P

I'd say there's little to no chance of this either. Zubrus has been tremendous on the 1st line, after finally getting a chance to play center again - he's the best distributor of the puck we have.

All in all things are looking bright for the offense - I don't think we sustain this pace at even strength, but the power play should hopefully get better in time.

i was thinking along the same lines last night. this team will score more goals for sure and it will be the top 7 that score them. it is so clear that every line is playing sutter hockey - that is a strong forecheck and agressive on the puck, EXCEPT madden & pando who still do what they do which is keep back and try to clog the zone. in their case, i just don't think you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Is there a stat where you can compare what they had at this time last year to what they have now?

Just look at any site that has split stats and game logs for each player.

Elias had 6 goals and 9 assists at this time last year.

Parise had 14 goals and 18 assists at this point last year.

Zubrus had 5 goals and 10 assists.

Gionta had 10 goals and 8 assists.

Zajac had 4 goals and 9 assists.

Edited by devilsrule33

Who was the guy who told me Elias wasn't a star player?

Yeah, you look silly right now.

Zach has to keep up the pace into the latter part of the season.

I remember last year he was flying through the early stages and then experienced a slight drop of in production. If he wants to work his way into the top 10 in the NHL he has got to keep it up right till game 82. im pretty sure he will keep putting up the points though.

I like the TSN projection for Zach:

On Pace: 82-GP 48-G 51-A 100-PTS

Although it always seems harder to get points in the homestretch.

I dont like TSN's maths abillity :giggle:

zach parise has a shot on goal more per game this year, so all else being equal that's an extra 5 goals right there. i expect him to still score something like 40 goals.

I think forty goals is the target for Zach and i think he will be there or there abouts come the end of the season, but he really cant afford to many dry periods.

• 1 month later...

Well we need to update this. I was going to start my own thread on this, but at the last minute remembered that there was a thread similiar out there. It is hard to believe how many players had awful seasons last year, and we still did pretty well. That is why when you think about it, it shouldn't be such a surprise we are still in first place. Last year if Marty goes down, we are a mess and a bottom 3 or 4 team in the East. But as clearly shown by the team this year, a group of forwards actually playing up to their contracts with more depth, and a stable group of defense (No Brookbank, Rachunek, Vishnevski) outweighs a healthy Marty Brodeur.

On to the stats...

Patrik Elias

This season at 47 games - 20 goals, 34 assists

Last season at 47 games - 14 goals, 17 assists

Final Season Stats - 20 goals, 35 assists

Zach Parise

This season at 47 games - 28 goals, 27 assists

Last season at 47 games - 18 goals, 26 assists

Final Season Stats - 32 goals, 33 assists

Travis Zajac

This season at 47 games - 15 goals, 22 assists

Last season at 47 games - 11 goals, 12 assists

Final Season Stats - 14 goals, 21 assists

Brian Gionta

This season at 47 games - 11 goals, 27 assists

Last season at 47 games - 13 goals,19 assists

Final Season Stats - 22 goals, 31 assists

David Clarkson

This season at 47 games - 10 goals,10 assists

Last season at 47 games - 5 goals, 7 assists

Final Season Stats - 9 goals, 13 assists

Dainus Zubrus

This season at 47 games - 11 goals, 17 assists

Last season at 47 games - 7 goals, 14 assists

Final Season Stats - 13 goals, 25 assists

Edited by devilsrule33

the only surprise is that this team is in first without marty brodeur. i picked them for first with him, but the team really has scored way above and beyond what i thought they would. i figured they'd add on 20-30 goals, but i think it's going to be more like 40-50.

the real surprise is boston though. no clue how they are playing this well.

Edited by Triumph

the only surprise is that this team is in first without marty brodeur. i picked them for first with him, but the team really has scored way above and beyond what i thought they would. i figured they'd add on 20-30 goals, but i think it's going to be more like 40-50.

the real surprise is boston though. no clue how they are playing this well.

marc savard, phil kessel and david krecji.

Savard is a guy I'd like to see Lou go after once his deal with Boston is up in 2 seasons. He'll be 33/34 at the time but I don't think his incredible passing vision is going to go away with age.

marc savard, phil kessel and david krecji.

Savard is a guy I'd like to see Lou go after once his deal with Boston is up in 2 seasons. He'll be 33/34 at the time but I don't think his incredible passing vision is going to go away with age.

There is more than just those players that are making Boston so good this season because they are basically the same team. Tim Thomas has been great, without a question, and young players like Wideman have been a wall on the defensive end. While they are really dangerous right now in the season I wonder if the lack of experience in places will come back to get them, I doubt it will but its still a possibility.