Mathieu Schneider traded to Montreal

Triumph

Not a bad deal for Atlanta. Someone they got off waivers and turned him into two picks. It would be a better deal for Atlanta if they had a competent scouting/drafting team. Either way, not someone we need. Old, slow, prone to dumb penalties.

they didn't get him off waivers. they traded klee and larsen for him.

Thats a rather large pricetag for a 40 year old. This should sufficiently inflate the asking price for guys like Pronger/Needmybrother/JayBo

It really has no bearing on the high end trade targets. They are all going to cost a 1st round pick, a roster player and prospect regardless of what Montreal gave up for Schneider. The Schneider trade does more to set the market for the likes of Havelid and Leopold.

It really has no bearing on the high end trade targets. They are all going to cost a 1st round pick, a roster player and prospect regardless of what Montreal gave up for Schneider. The Schneider trade does more to set the market for the likes of Havelid and Leopold.

Which is probably actually worse news for the Devils since I doubt we are in the running for the top end guys anyway.

Do the Devils REALLY need anybody else or is it YOU telling yourself they NEED someone. I think they are fine. Taking one player out now and replacing him could mess with chemistry and have some anomosity associated with it. What happens if it was Langenbrunner, Parise, or Elias, but they got one of the persons that was mentioned previously. Just like science... Everything has an equal and opposite reaction. I don't see a move. This team going this long and doing this well... and changing it? CRAZY!!!

Noone is talking about trading Parise, Langenbrunner or Elias. But this team is flawed. The no-name defense is fine for the regular season but Greene is nothing short of a liability and as a unit there are question marks for a playoff run. Schneider was not the answer, but a move needs to be made.

Which is probably actually worse news for the Devils since I doubt we are in the running for the top end guys anyway.

no one is in the running for the top end guys. i'd bet that none of those three get traded.

also new info - the canadiens get a conditional pick from the thrashers depending on how they do. if they lose first-round or don't make it, it's a 3rd, if they win one round it's a 4th, and 2 or more is a 5th.

Edited by Triumph

That's an overpayment.

Gainey gave away Huet for a 2nd last year stupidly (who knows what happens if they have him last year in the playoffs) and then turned two high picks into a 40 year old on his way out of the league. What is he doing?

Trying to do ANYTHING to save his gig?

Trying to do ANYTHING to save his gig?

Nah,

I think he's doing the best for the team now, cause the team's derailed, they're really bad now,

Schneider's an improvement over.. O'byrne or Bouillon, still its an overpayment, but if it works.. It'll work.

Plus the media and the fans have been pushing G for a move.

That's an overpayment.

Gainey gave away Huet for a 2nd last year stupidly (who knows what happens if they have him last year in the playoffs) and then turned two high picks into a 40 year old on his way out of the league. What is he doing?

gave away huet? huet and price were about equal last season. why not deal one goalie, then have a piece you can move this season? seems smart to me - especially when huet wasn't coming back to montreal.

plus it's not two high picks - it's one high pick, and a swap of other picks.

it's a slight overpayment but when you have 2 2nds, you can afford to get the jump on everyone else at the deadline - there's going to be a lot of teams who don't get any upgrade this trade deadline.