Brodeur declined to read Letterman Top 10 List

95Crash

As he was poised to pass Patrick Roy as the NHL's all-time wins leader, Devils goaltender Martin Brodeur was invited to read the Top 10 list on the David Letterman show this past Monday night.

"It was a personal reason for him," Devils GM Lou Lamoriello explained. "It wasn't the team that prevented him from doing it."

Link

What if letterman's writers said something about his past personal issues with the top ten... like "Number 4. Don't do your wife's sister. It doesn't matter that she's hot." or something douchebaggery like that.

According to comments on the article, it was Brodeur's daughter's birthday, so he had the day with her.

It would've been nice to see him do it if only to get him deserved exposure. If he declined that exposure, that's another story and it's his decision. I'd think Lou, Vanderbeek, and the whole organization would want him to do it. They're not stupid. It was obviously Marty's call.

The whole league is probably disappointed it didnt happen. An NHL player on Letterman/Leno/not Versus or ESPN!? No way.

Edited by ghdi

It was his daughter's birthday! He declined because he is a good dad.

Right, if he didn't go on the show because it was his daughter's birthday and he wanted to keep his commitment to her, it is kind of hard to knock him for that. But I will throw this out there too:

The next morning, Tuesday, I was driving on my way to the arena to stand in the $10 ticket line, and I was listening to the Boomer & Carton morning show on WFAN, and Carton said that they had invited Brodeur to come on with them that morning, but Marty had refused.

Carton then made a comment something to the effect of (I'm paraphrasing): "The Devils are always crying that we don't do a good job covering them enough, but now when we give them a shot to come on and promote themselves, they refuse. Let's see what happens in the playoffs when they come to us asking to come on."

Back to Dave, why doesn't Letterman invite Marty on as a guest, instead of just to read a Top 10 List? :noclue: I mean, he just became the all-time winningest NHL goaltender for chrissakes. You think Letterman would've invited him as a guest if he was a Ranger breaking that record? :doh1:

He's better off. Remember when Jiggy was making his late night rounds in 2003.. BEFORE the finals. Marty schooled him with 3 donuts of 4 wins. I'm sure Jiggy's appearances and popularity got him the Conn Smythe in that series (It kills me to give it to someone who took his team to the top of the hill, not to the guy who got his team over it). I think Marty is just happy being Marty and half the reason he loves NJ is because he can go to the mall and the movies and live a normal life during the day.

And at night, put on the NJ sweater and become a godd*mn freakin' goalie animal.

Carton then made a comment something to the effect of (I'm paraphrasing): "The Devils are always crying that we don't do a good job covering them enough, but now when we give them a shot to come on and promote themselves, they refuse. Let's see what happens in the playoffs when they come to us asking to come on."

Well Marty was on Joe and Evan this week from what I heard, but other than that can you blame them? Maybe they "refuse" because the hosts(esp. Carton) are complete jackasses to the organization? Just a thought.

the media should just give us the respect all the time, we are the better team. stop over-glorifying 94 and trying to spin their stupidity. just because they're a new york station doesn't mean they can't promote a local team - in JERSEY! without having to be paid off. recognize greatness when you see it :argh: