Paul Maurice

msweet

Agree, he seems to be very intelligent, but he did say the Devils play trap

I thought that at first, but he said "the trap, so to speak, is that..." as though he realized when he said the word trap, that thats what people would assume he was talking about.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think he meant it as "evil Devils they play the trap and are killing hockey".

I thought that at first, but he said "the trap, so to speak, is that..." as though he realized when he said the word trap, that thats what people would assume he was talking about.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think he meant it as "evil Devils they play the trap and are killing hockey".

Yeah, at first I thought he was saying we were playing "the trap" but he wasn't.

He def said "the trap, so to speak" Not as in we play the trap. He was talking about how our style forces people to grind it out and the trap people fall into is they give up on their gameplan and start trying different things so we can put people off their game. He was saying that to be successful they had to stick to their gameplan even if it isn't working at first.

i gained a lot of respect for maurice in what he had to put up with in toronto...

he's a terrific coach, he certainly has squeezed every ounce of performance out of the candy canes.

Agree.

I wouldn't mind if he coaches the Devils some day.... but that's way out there in the future and far fetched. :ph34r:

i gained a lot of respect for maurice in what he had to put up with in toronto...

he's a terrific coach, he certainly has squeezed every ounce of performance out of the candy canes.

He got them on that 12 home game winning streak almost all the way up to the playoffs. He is a underated coach because he was in Toronto.

I couldn't make Friday's game so I caught Maurice on the Game 2 press conference. He was equally as humble in winning as he was last night losing. 'Trap' remark notwithstanding.

msweet said it best, he is not a 'hate-able' guy.... yet.

What's funny is I didn't think that last night... but after game one I felt like while he was giving the Devils credit, he was strongly implying the trap was being used. TRUE he was saying his team just couldn't move the puck - but I think he was saying Devils weren't letting them - when they're right their how can you move the puck - just stuff like that.

what's wrong with trapping anyhow? People bring that old chestnut out in the hopes devils will play crappy defence to prove the world wrong about being a trapping team. :argh:

Stupid - why'd I even write anything :evil:<_<

I've always liked him - very glad when he left the leafs - worried the organization was getting some brains when they first hired him! Anyhow - with that said -- I can't stand his little tigh-lipped frown - I'm sure he thinks he's putting a stern yet accessible face on --- but it's like a bad Sam the Eagle impression.

250px-Sam_Eagle.JPG

Maurice has such a great sense of humor. I remember after game #2 he joked about Gleason's game winner and made a sarcastic remark about it was the "team strategy" to put on a defensemen without any qoals for the game winner. No one in the press seemed to notice it.

Exactly right

His trap remark wasn't about the Devil's playing the trap... it was about a trap one could fall into by thinking a particular way. He hesitated because he realized he mentioned the dreaded trap word and so he elaborated as to not be misquotes