Report: Bruins - Flyers at Winter Classic

Devil Dan 56

I might actually go to the Winter Classic with my brother-in-law. He's a huge Bruins fan and lives in Boston. If they play the Flyers, it's safe to say we'll both be rooting for the same team.

Not a bad trip at all.

I might actually go to the Winter Classic with my brother-in-law. He's a huge Bruins fan and lives in Boston. If they play the Flyers, it's safe to say we'll both be rooting for the same team.

I might try to go to this as well depending on ticket prices. Even though I have vowed never to buy tickets to Fenway again because the seats are so damn uncomfortable.

It doesn't make sense to have the Flyers in the Classic over for say the caps. I am sure that more casual hockey fans (which is who they are appealling to, if there are any) would rather watch Ovechkin than a Flyers team that they probably don't know much about. Also, if NBC is looking for ratings, NY will have more people watching than Philly.

Why does NBC have such a hard-on for the Flyers? They chose a Flyers/Rangers game (a ridiculous one-sided blowout) over Sharks/Devils (that just mighta been the game of the year). Then, instead of learning from their mistake, chose Rangers/Flyers AGAIN a week or two later.

The Flyers aren't a terrible choice (Carter is a young star and Richards, as much as it pains me to say so, is one of my favorite non-Devils in the league), but the Caps woulda been way better, IMO.

The Devils will never play in the Winter Classic. Apparently the NHL hasn't gotten the memo that the Devils don't play the trap anymore.

The Devils won't play in a winter classic because they have small fanbase compared to the Canadian clubs and the large market American teams and that means bad ratings. It has nothing to with a vendetta against the Devils or the trap.

Why does NBC have such a hard-on for the Flyers? They chose a Flyers/Rangers game (a ridiculous one-sided blowout) over Sharks/Devils (that just mighta been the game of the year). Then, instead of learning from their mistake, chose Rangers/Flyers AGAIN a week or two later.

The Flyers aren't a terrible choice (Carter is a young star and Richards, as much as it pains me to say so, is one of my favorite non-Devils in the league), but the Caps woulda been way better, IMO.

Ratings ratings ratings. That's what matters.

The NHL needs to come up with some kind of random method for selecting the teams that play in the Winter Classic to keep the integrity of the game. After a couple more years, you will be repeating the same teams over again because NBC just wants ratings, and it will become a joke.

Perhaps it could be something like the draft lottery. You would have to have to have two different lotteries, one for the home team (obviously not every city can host a Classic either because of climate or don't have an outdoor stadium with enough capacity, amenities, etc.) and one for the away team (with teams that can't host it having higher odds to be selected to compensate for not being able to host). Heck, you can even market a selection show for a couple extra advertising bucks.

Maybe this is a stupid idea, and I'm overthinking this. I don't know. :noclue:

The NHL needs to come up with some kind of random method for selecting the teams that play in the Winter Classic to keep the integrity of the game. After a couple more years, you will be repeating the same teams over again because NBC just wants ratings, and it will become a joke.

Perhaps it could be something like the draft lottery. You would have to have to have two different lotteries, one for the home team (obviously not every city can host a Classic either because of climate or don't have an outdoor stadium with enough capacity, amenities, etc.) and one for the away team (with teams that can't host it having higher odds to be selected to compensate for not being able to host). Heck, you can even market a selection show for a couple extra advertising bucks.

Maybe this is a stupid idea, and I'm overthinking this. I don't know. :noclue:

I don't know about a draft lottery but I think there should be a different method for choosing the away team. I don't know what it should be, but I really think there's going to be a point where they're going to have run out of big-market teams and choose whether they'll want say, the Devils or to repeat the Penguins. And much as I'd hate to see it, I think they'd go with the latter.