DEVILS CENTER ATTENTION ON MORRISON

Rock

I just don't think Morrison is a worthwhile acquisition if it means bumping Rolston out of the top-six. If Langs falters with Zajac & Parise, Rolston deserves first shot on that unit, even if it is RW instead of LW.

i find this thought funny because i am only in favor of the devils acquiring morrison precisely because it does this. rolston-zubrus-bergfors could be a formidable 2B line if things really break right. and the 4th line is shaping up to be a 5 minutes a game kind of line, with some combo of pelley, leblond, pikkarainen, and pandolfo.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i find this thought funny because i am only in favor of the devils acquiring morrison precisely because it does this. rolston-zubrus-bergfors could be a formidable 2B line if things really break right. and the 4th line is shaping up to be a 5 minutes a game kind of line, with some combo of pelley, leblond, pikkarainen, and pandolfo.

I agree with you on this idea - but I'd like to know a little more about our coach and his philosophy before committing to that kind of line juggling. If "line matching" surfaces again, we're boned... and Rolston will continue to be unhappy. If Rolston-Zubrus-Bergfors is getting top-six-type minutes, then I'm all for that.

I would be shocked in Morrison ended up in New Jersey.

He left his first tour on a real sour note and even made some disparaging comments about Lou and the Devils to the media afterward.

I would be surprised as well, but Shanahan has also said disparaging things about the organization in the past as well. Considering Morrison acted that way so long ago now, its possible hes grown up. Its been almost 10 years.

Wow, what a surprise...Lou is targeting washed up ex-Devils in free agency

it seems any rumors are rumors that have us rebuilding from ex Devils. lol bringing back the past......... lets move on people!!!

Morrison wont help the team, he can barely put up 20 goals...and that was a few seasons ago. i'd rather give someone in the system a shot at the bigs.

but there are other trades to be done i think. doesnt have to come from the free agent pool.

if there's any truth to this it would just be another example of just how low he's setting the bar for the upcoming season. More of the same.

yeah obviously. the team was only 5th in the league in points and 4th overall in GAA while missing their top goalie for most of the season. more of the same, ho hum.

Spectors Hockey on rumor:

http://compusolpei.com/spectorshockey.net/...rs&Itemid=4

Mark (N)Єverson reports the options for New Jersey Devils GM Lou Lamoriello to add an offensive center are dwindling. Former Devils center Brendan Morrison remains available but his agent declined to comment if the Devils might be interested in his client. The Post and NORTHJERSEY.COM also reported contract negotiations between the Devils and RFA forward Travis Zajac continue to go well despite Zajac filing for arbitration.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: It sounds as though Zajac will avoid arbitration. As for Morrison his stock has really tumbled in the past two seasons and I'm not sure if there's a spot for him with the Devils or if he'd be keen to return.

Edited by Rock

getting rolston top 6 minutes will be easier as he will likely be on the PK as he wasn't before. while bergfors could very well be slotted on a line with elias and some new center (or zubrus), he will likely not see that much PP time.

As it stands, the PP's are shaping up to be the same as last year except Gionta's position will be taken by Clarkson

Parise-Zajac-Elias-Langenbrunner-Martin

Clarkson-Zubrus-Rolston-Oduya-Greene

This is purely speculation.

Reporters are making this up because the world knows the Devils need a second line center and the names available are shrinking and shrinking. After Morrison signs somewhere, then the rumors about Comrie will start.

Nothing's going to happen.

yeah obviously. the team was only 5th in the league in points and 4th overall in GAA while missing their top goalie for most of the season. more of the same, ho hum.

Glad to see all is well in your world. No doubt we'll be serious cup contenders with what we currently have. Some of us don't like the taste of Koolaid. Just how much cap money should Lou sit on going into the season, considering it's about 11.7M now with Zajac's number still to be set.

Glad to see all is well in your world. No doubt we'll be serious cup contenders with what we currently have. Some of us don't like the taste of Koolaid. Just how much cap money should Lou sit on going into the season, considering it's about 11.7M now with Zajac's number still to be set.

the cap is going down next year and the devils have no expiring contracts that give them any savings. you want saku koivu on a multi-year deal? bye bye paul martin. the devils are going to leave around 4-5 million open on the cap in anticipation of next year. this isn't frugality - lou spent right to the cap in 2006, above the cap in 2007, near-ish to the cap in 2008, and was close to it last year. the notion that lou is cheap is an absurd one, or that he is 'sitting' on money. it's even possible that the devils being out in the first round is why lou can't spend as much this year - the devils had to anticipate getting to the 2nd round about 60% of the time and getting farther than that 25-30% of the time - that's a lot of playoff tickets that went unsold.

Edited by Triumph

Van Morrison is still floating out there too...

well, one thing we can all agree on is that Lou has a hard-on for signing former Devils. Let's just hope he stays away from Morrison. I'd rather see some of the younger guys come up through the ranks than signing re-treads.